How do you measure the success of a hunt?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tom summers

Re: How do you measure the success of a hunt?

Post by tom summers »

Coming home happy, unstressed and able to go the next day.

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

rabbitatfarm wrote:A successful day is when I bring all my dogs home. If there's a rabbit or two in the bag, that's good too. I subscribe to the Gene Hill theory that a day afield is a day that won't come again. It might be good dog work, the chance encounter with some thing new, a spectacular sunrise or sunset, or a day when every shot misses or rings true. It's a day filled with hope of a young dog or the last hunt of an old dog. Either way that day will never be repeated. Just enjoy it.

Swampman wrote: still being on the right side of the grass out in the timber listening to the hounds run is success to me.
:nod:
I'd have to add. If one of my boys went along and they had a chance or did connect on a hare or rabbit.
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

pcable

Post by pcable »

Ran with Tom Young and his fine dogs today. Had a really good time! Didn't fire a single shot! Jumped a few that went straight to a hole and had one really good race! Always good to meet new beagler's and make new friends! Especially when you agree on hunting style, ethics, and many other things! Tom has some fine young dogs and we enjoyed the dogs thoroughly today as well as each other's company!
Already looking forward to running together again!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

ray s

Post by ray s »

tom summers wrote:Coming home happy, unstressed and able to go the next day.
X2
Maybe we're just getting old, Tom.But, I'm with you on this, just having a good time with buddies and dogs #1.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Not sure if age or maybe wisdom? They do seem to go hand in hand.
Tom

pcable

Post by pcable »

I have to agree with Tom and Ray! Happy, stress free at the end of the hunt is an awesome feeling!
Don't know if it's age or wisdom either but, I have learned to appreciate the little things in life myself!
Gonna take my Dad out to watch and listen to the dogs soon! He's 77 now and it's hard to get around these mountains but he can ride the truck and enjoy some running! He hasn't been in probably 30 years but he's gettin' a hankerin' to go! I made some video for him to watch and it has rekindled the fire! Can't wait to get him out there!
I try to instill the appreciation of the little things about hunting and life in my son as well as any youngster's that I'm around!'
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

On another board we were talking about hare that ran small circles. I agree with everyone about the hunting experience and learning about our game and the hound work involved in success. Friendships are wielded and enjoying the fruit of our labor at the end of the day all completes the experience.
Trying to read the whole event, scenting, hound effort, talent & faults, the game involved, just why they all do what they do and what we're dealing with on this day. It's something that draws us all back to give it another go on another day.
Beaglitis is the only disease you get and hope to spread it around... :lol:

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

By the quality of the hound work and how much I enjoyed the time afield.
Don't get me wrong,I do enjoy gunning rabbits and hare as carrying the shotgun sure ads an extra measure of excitement and challenge to the whole experience.That being said,if I never was to kill another rabbit wouldn't diminish the joy of running the beagles one bit.It's ALL about the dogs!!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

warddog

Post by warddog »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:By the quality of the hound work and how much I enjoyed the time afield.
Don't get me wrong,I do enjoy gunning rabbits and hare as carrying the shotgun sure ads an extra measure of excitement and challenge to the whole experience.That being said,if I never was to kill another rabbit wouldn't diminish the joy of running the beagles one bit.It's ALL about the dogs!!
I agree that it is all about that dog, bout that dog, bout that dog. I enjoy watching a dog accomplish what it was put here to do. When man gets their nose in it they only add their personal opinion, likes and preferences. They want to be the center of attention in lieu of the little four legged buddy that has done the work. I could care less if I ever kill another rabbit as I don't need it for anything other than pleasure and as I have aged that doesn't pleasure me nearly as much as it did when I was trying to establish myself as the great hunter or trainer of dogs. I look back on all the time, effort and expense I spent on coon hounds in competition and just shake my head. Had many trophy's, knew a lot of folks, seen a lot of different dogs tree coon and experienced a lot of arguing over a score card BUT truth is that thing that is in me hasn't a thing to do with all that but rather watching and listening to the couple little four legged buddies I still have in my kennel, bring the game full circle. I really do not know why I was put on this earth but can tell you I could NEVER smell or circle a rabbit without the help of my little four legged friends. I think they were made to do this and I'm just lucky enough to have had the opportunity to witness them do what they we made to do. If they get er done then they have fulfilled their purpose and my personal assessment means nothing in the grand scheme of things as who am I to judge?

pcable

Post by pcable »

Well said warddog!!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

pcable wrote:Well said warddog!!!!
What did he actually say? 1st off he judges everyone on this board but he cant judge a hound? and secondly we now know he cant smell a rabbit nor bring it full circle. WELL BRAVO!!! Well said then!!!
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

warddog

Post by warddog »

What did he actually say? 1st off he judges everyone on this board but he cant judge a hound? and secondly we now know he cant smell a rabbit nor bring it full circle. WELL BRAVO!!! Well said then!!![/quote]

I challenge, Ilikemfast to prove that I have judged anyone on this board let alone EVERYONE as claimed, so prove what you run off the mouth about. Now, if you call not agreeing with you or anyone else as judging then yes I will own up to that AND I see many, many others doing the same in almost every post. Seems likem got his yellow stained diapers in a wad over the debate on dog food and then resorted to claiming I was a pizza flipper. although HE claimed I resorted to name calling and belittling, just as he has now made the claim of me judging everyone on this board. Sorry SON, my career has been finished for several years now and I never spent a day flipping pizzas or hamburgers for that matter although I did regulate many of them BOTH as they were being produced. By the way the scraps from that process went into the inedible containers in meat and poultry plants and sent to the rendering companies to be used as ingredients in pet food.
Seems some have a little problem understanding, yet evidently my post was clearly understood by others who read it. Sorry if all did not comprehend it but I guess reading comprehension is like dogs circling their game, some possess that ability at an earlier age than others and then some just don't. I also doubt that most folks could give two cahoots about what I post but Ilikeemfast seems to dwell on every word of every post as he sure does respond to them. I was always taught, that if one could not keep up with what was being discussed, they should take notes.
Sorry to stomp on this thread but likem's seems to be infatuated with me so it matters NOT where he tries to belittle me in one of his diatribes. Most of us can tell a lot about someone from what they write so I will NOT waste my time responding to any more of his ramblings and allegations.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Lol, I will take 2 large pies and have them here in 30 minutes, I will give ya a extra buck! Wurthog you just relived our whole 2014 together, did i get the best of ya that much in 2014 that your still chomping at the bit with everything we discussed? Sorry dough boy, didnt mean ta hurt yur feelins, dont dwell on it any longer, it will help make the hard feelins ya have go away. Im am flattered tho ya remember me so well. Your makin me blush. Oh yeah, dont forget my bread sticks.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Newt

Post by Newt »

Success to me is for the pack to jump cottontails and pursue them until they hole of get caught. I no longer carry a gun. I am amazed at the determination of good hounds to pursue through whatever obstacles to run to complete their desires. If they do that, I'm happy and they are happy.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

by how well my dogs ran ..and hunted good. and didn't run any trash. and minded good .. if I didn't kill any rabbits I don't mind at all.. but I like knocking down 1 for the dogs also. altho some of them look at me like why did u shoot it I was having fun./
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!