too young?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

snellingsbeagles

too young?

Post by snellingsbeagles »

How young is too young for a starter pen mid July of 2014 is Age of the two pups

ken pack

Re: too young?

Post by ken pack »

Some pups start at 4 months and some start around 6 months. I have found out in my experience not all pups start at the same time some take a little longer then others and some start earlier. But I would try at 4 months and go from there. jmo

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

One of my pups opened at 13 weeks. The other two a couple of weeks later. I think getting them to the field early is the key. I started taking mine for walks at eight weeks. They learned to negotiate logs and brush, explore thickets, learned about briars, different smells, etc. They loved knee-high corn. They flew down the rows. Everything is new in their lives. Then, when they're ready for a pen, they hit the ground running--no pun intended.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

In the past I have gotten frustrated with them and myself if they don't start early, but these days I allow them to grow and be puppies. They usually will show me when they are ready. I got a 13 week old female that is showing me a lot of sense and desire to use her nose right now. I think she will be a early starter, but I will let her grow more.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I got some the same age, I just put them out on the ground to explore. They will stay on the ground till next month then they go over to the starting pen. 4-6 months they usually get started and 7-8 months they're going pretty good and can be run with the older bitches. I like to run pups together, mine never seem to have much play in them when young so their exploring seems to lead them to bumping into rabbits.