Garmin Alpha Update - Plz Read

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Big River Beagles S

Re: Garmin Alpha Update - Plz Read

Post by Big River Beagles S »

blue collar mine did that a month or so ago and that is when I tried to master reset and updated handheld, My collars where up to date so when I tried to marry my collar back to the unit it wouldn't communicate with handheld garmin told me I had a bad collar so sent it in for exchange and it cost me $75 now I have heard of 3 other people having same issue don't think it was collar think it is something with these updates now my handheld won't charge batteries so I have to send it in something fishy going on here.

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

i have three collars and all three do it all the time. So if thats the case then all three of my collars went bad the exact same time lol.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Budd talked me into the Garmin and I'm glad he did.

I received my Alpha with the TT15 collars two weeks ago from DU Hunting Supply.
Have used it nearly every night here at home and been up to the cabin running hare the last two weekends as well.
I did the updates as soon as I received them and have had no issues "knock on wood".

My Dad received his last week and we can track each others hand held which is a great peace of mind for me in the big timber of northern WI.
We were up there this weekend and I can see exactly where he is and know I can find him (73 years old) asap if anything should happen.

I put the "explosion proof" screens on both, we don't lock the screen, you do have to deliberately push the screen with these.
Also, I put lanyards on both handhelds, they can just hang inside your vest or jacket.

I was informed by my bear hunting buddy to turn all the alerts off and to set it up to archive all tracks at least weekly, I decided to make ours daily.
You then need to go into your archived tracks and individually delete each one.
He said that he found it will fill up the memory and cause problems if you don't do this.
I start a new hunt and delete my tracks as well every day.

I have talked with Matt at DU Hunting Supply, he and Buddy are extremely knowledgeable with this system.

Good luck guys, I hope I don't run into the issues you are having down the road.