Litter of 8 died????

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

snellingsbeagles

liver

Post by snellingsbeagles »

We feed beef liver two weeks before make the milk really rich and give dam extra pep needed it's cheaper than all those supplements I agree with the oxytocin also

Ed Brown

Re: Litter of 8 died????

Post by Ed Brown »

I have read this post and have to add that my bitch had 8 pups, I have got 3 now. Five died one day. No explanation, vet thinks she just didn't have enough milk, but why would they all die the same day? The 3 left seem to be OK. I tube fed them for a day, the smallest one a few days longer. Now they all have full bellies, but so didn't the dead ones. A friend says maybe the fact that I have chickens in the barn and maybe they caught something from them, who knows. Healthy bitch and the dead pups looked good too before they died. I just don't know. It is not the first time for this, lost 2 other litters, all after I got chickens. Strange.

Ed Brown

Post by Ed Brown »

I have read this post and have to add that my bitch had 8 pups, I have got 3 now. Five died one day. No explanation, vet thinks she just didn't have enough milk, but why would they all die the same day? The 3 left seem to be OK. I tube fed them for a day, the smallest one a few days longer. Now they all have full bellies, but so didn't the dead ones. A friend says maybe the fact that I have chickens in the barn and maybe they caught something from them, who knows. Healthy bitch and the dead pups looked good too before they died. I just don't know. It is not the first time for this, lost 2 other litters, all after I got chickens. Strange.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Keeping dogs in areas where chickens or other birds are kept or on grounds where they have been kept is strongly discouraged. Birds are carriers of coccidiosis and dogs can pick it up. Puppies are especially susceptible and will die quickly from dehydration due to bloody diahrea. Adult dogs immune systems will generally ward it off unless they are weakned by some other stressing disease or condition. See your vet with a stool sample and get some Albon.

Google coccidiosis in dogs and see what you find of info. It s nasty stuff and untreated is death on puppies. I had it come in through a Bluetick puppies shipped in from Illinois in 1990. Went through my whole kennel. Never had it before or since.