Great Prices on Dog Food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

John Way

Great Prices on Dog Food

Post by John Way »

Do any of you guys use chewy.com for your dog food purchases. Was recently turned onto this company. $9 less a bag than tsc for the 37# purina bags I use. Free shipping. They have a large amount of brands available.

ray s

Re: Great Prices on Dog Food

Post by ray s »

That is where I'm getting mine. I like having it delivered to my door and, it is the cheapest place I have found pro plan.
Their shipping Is free on an order over $49 , which is not hard to meet these days.

And just a side note. I've been pounding some young dogs pretty hard this summer and, they started having some skin issues.
My vet checked them over 6 ways to Sunday. His diagnosis was a nutritional defenciancy, mainly protein. I switched to Pro Plan and problem solved.

But, anyhow Chewy.com has worked out great for me.

chris83

Post by chris83 »

Midwest greyhound supply is 38.50 free shipping and no tax but the min order is 24 bags.
lprc Harlow's To Small Jax's
lprc Harlow's Attila The Honey

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I'd have to feed "raw" before I could afford that kinda price on a 35 lb bag,... or get rid of a bunch of hounds.
Jmho, but a $1.25 per/lb. on sale aint no bargain for dog feed, but I'm happy for anyone who thinks their hound needs it and that's the way i look at it. That's twice the price I pay for dog food and I can't see my hound performing twice as good for putting twice the money in the food.
I love these ole hounds and I give them the best cornbread and pork cracklings money can buy and if they do a extra good job that day, I'll even crack an egg on it for them... :dance:

Don't let'em get fat on ya boys... :cool:

warddog

Post by warddog »

S.R.Patch wrote:I'd have to feed "raw" before I could afford that kinda price on a 35 lb bag,... or get rid of a bunch of hounds.
Jmho, but a $1.25 per/lb. on sale aint no bargain for dog feed, but I'm happy for anyone who thinks their hound needs it and that's the way i look at it. That's twice the price I pay for dog food and I can't see my hound performing twice as good for putting twice the money in the food.
I love these ole hounds and I give them the best cornbread and pork cracklings money can buy and if they do a extra good job that day, I'll even crack an egg on it for them... :dance:

I agree with ole Patch 100% on this. If I were to pay $1.45 or more per pound as some do for dog food I'd buy chicken and feed that! Actually one can buy chicken leg quarters for .49 to .59 per pound all day long and it wouldn't have all the extenders, binders and additives that is in ALL dry dog feed as that is the nature of the beast in manufacturing dry kibble.

chris83

Post by chris83 »

warddog wrote:
S.R.Patch wrote:I'd have to feed "raw" before I could afford that kinda price on a 35 lb bag,... or get rid of a bunch of hounds.

I agree with ole Patch 100% on this. If I were to pay $1.45 or more per pound as some do for dog food I'd buy chicken and feed that! Actually one can buy chicken leg quarters for .49 to .59 per pound all day long and it wouldn't have all the extenders, binders and additives that is in ALL dry dog feed as that is the nature of the beast in manufacturing dry kibble.

I’m sure you guys have been in the dog business for more years than I have been on this earth but I see it a little differently. I have feed diamond green, yellow, naturals, sportmix blue bag, black gold blue and black bag, red flannel, everlast, river run, dura life, and none of them come close to the pro plan. Right now I have dogs side by side being run equal amounts one on pro plan one sportmix and I about killed the dog on sportmix. I had to add oil, meat and some other stuff to the dog’s diet to get it back where it needed to be. Wasn’t my dog just running one for a guy and that’s what he wanted to feed. Dog on pro plan was getting 14oz, dog on sport mix 32oz. So don’t tell me there the same, also if you have your dogs on concrete you either like cleaning shi! Or let them live in squalor, because they shi! nonstop when they eat that much to keep weight. I know some will say I’m full of crap but I have tested the same dog on the same feed and there’s no comparison. By far raw was the best feed I have ever feed, but unless your set up for it it’s a pain. May not be if you just slop them like hogs but I was measuring everything out and keeping records to see my results. 37.5 lb bag @ 38.50 = 1.03 a lb but you get a 3.15 rebate of every bag which makes it .94lb. And there are always Purina coupons out there, just used some for 5.00 a bag off which drops the price down to .81 a lb. As far as buy chicken leg quarters .49 a lb. is a steal I couldn’t come close to that overhear even buying 100lb boxes at a time. I don’t think this feed will fix holes in my dogs but believe you get out what you put in.
lprc Harlow's To Small Jax's
lprc Harlow's Attila The Honey

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

does this company accept the Purina Pro plan coupons I did not see this on website.My old eyes may have overlooked this.I know my local supplier does.I know this post is not about Purina Feed.In my opinion you can't beat Porina Pro Plan dog feed I feed chicken and rice.Dogs coat are slick and shiny,recover quickly,and very little clean up in the kennel.I understand some people's opinion differ feed what you like they are your dogs.
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

John Way

Post by John Way »

They take Purina pro club and other coupons. Call them with order, then mail coupons. They will credit your account. $37.99 for purple purina pro plan bag. Free shipping on orders over $49, no sales tax, no gas and time to shop. Droped at your door by ups. Each bag in its own sturdy box. Don't have to buy a pallet for savings !! They will set you up for automatic delivery of a specified amount. Weekly , monthly , quarterly etc. There are a ton of brands available. I mostly use the Purina. Its worth your effort to check prices and availabilty on what you feed. Just offered information as a possible avenue for fellow beaglers to save a buck ! Thx

Farm dog

Post by Farm dog »

Your Purina rebate checks can also be cashed at your bank

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

chris83 wrote:

I’m sure you guys have been in the dog business for more years than I have been on this earth but I see it a little differently. I have feed diamond green, yellow, naturals, sportmix blue bag, black gold blue and black bag, red flannel, everlast, river run, dura life, and none of them come close to the pro plan. Right now I have dogs side by side being run equal amounts one on pro plan one sportmix and I about killed the dog on sportmix. I had to add oil, meat and some other stuff to the dog’s diet to get it back where it needed to be. Wasn’t my dog just running one for a guy and that’s what he wanted to feed. Dog on pro plan was getting 14oz, dog on sport mix 32oz. So don’t tell me there the same, also if you have your dogs on concrete you either like cleaning shi! Or let them live in squalor, because they shi! nonstop when they eat that much to keep weight. I know some will say I’m full of crap but I have tested the same dog on the same feed and there’s no comparison. By far raw was the best feed I have ever feed, but unless your set up for it it’s a pain. May not be if you just slop them like hogs but I was measuring everything out and keeping records to see my results. 37.5 lb bag @ 38.50 = 1.03 a lb but you get a 3.15 rebate of every bag which makes it .94lb. And there are always Purina coupons out there, just used some for 5.00 a bag off which drops the price down to .81 a lb. As far as buy chicken leg quarters .49 a lb. is a steal I
couldn’t come close to that overhear even buying 100lb boxes at a time. I don’t think this feed will fix holes in my dogs but believe you get out what you put in.
Chris, I'm like you. I have fed a variety of dry feeds. I have found Victor being the best dry feed I've fed. Dogs all perform awesome on it. Coats look great, and minimal stool. Right now I pay .73cents a pound for it. If you to were you can try some I strongly recommend it.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I'm all for saving a buck and feeding the food your hound performs best on. Not all hounds are created equal, some as in modern day require special blends limiting or adding what hounds lack or are intolerant of. Some lack the constitution to process efficiently and the structure to perform with less required energy. We all know of hound that have to be fed extra, and those who must be limited or they get fat.

This auto delivery and selected brand ordering may be best for those who have neither the time nor facility to shop local and store volume purchasing to save some money, but I like to support my local business and have on hand a dependable volume of feed for the hounds. It's just part of my nature, like keeping two years of wood cut, or a freezer full of meat and vegetables canned.

I just brought home 2000# of feed, I told the store keeper I wanted his best volume pricing and if it was right, he could count on me as a reliable repeat customer. I got my feed for 50 cents a lb. and the hounds do well on it. This may not work for everyone's hounds nor be the brand they consider giving them the best results, but this is just my way and not recommending it to anyone else. Heck, if I only had a couple of hounds, they would probably eat at the table with me... :biggrin:

ray s

Post by ray s »

S.R.Patch wrote:I'm all for saving a buck and feeding the food your hound performs best on. Not all hounds are created equal, some as in modern day require special blends limiting or adding what hounds lack or are intolerant of. Some lack the constitution to process efficiently and the structure to perform with less required energy. We all know of hound that have to be fed extra, and those who must be limited or they get fat.

This auto delivery and selected brand ordering may be best for those who have neither the time nor facility to shop local and store volume purchasing to save some money, but I like to support my local business and have on hand a dependable volume of feed for the hounds. It's just part of my nature, like keeping two years of wood cut, or a freezer full of meat and vegetables canned.

I just brought home 2000# of feed, I told the store keeper I wanted his best volume pricing and if it was right, he could count on me as a reliable repeat customer. I got my feed for 50 cents a lb. and the hounds do well on it. This may not work for everyone's hounds nor be the brand they consider giving them the best results, but this is just my way and not recommending it to anyone else. Heck, if I only had a couple of hounds, they would probably eat at the table with me... :biggrin:
How do you work a full time job and train a few hounds and still have time to do all the other aboved mentioned chores?
I just flat run out of time most days

warddog

Post by warddog »

I do exactly as Patch does and buy it by the 2000# pallet. I store it in my constant temp and moisture basement and it normally last my cousin and I about 9 or 10 months. I also am quit fond of the folks I purchase it from in the little town where they are located as they are the nicest folks to deal with. last pallet I bought they had a special of .50 off per bag which they have every so often and I paid .44 per pound, tax and all. This same very feed is fed to 5 of my beagles, my cousin feeds one beagle, two la-de, la-da house dogs of his wife's a Great Pyrenees and a big white shepherd imported stock guard breed cross. ALL of these dogs are in fine flesh and each one eats as well as expels differently on the very same food. If one thinks that this feed will not keep a dog in fine flesh for .44 per pound I challenge you to try to walk into his yard with either of the guard dogs and or allow a pack of dogs or coyotes into his sheep/goat pen. They will run for their lives and we watched the Great Pyrenees kill two of four in a pack of dogs that were after his goats. That was four against one with two killed and two run home in pretty bad shape. Here's another thing that I find interesting and I'm sure that those of you on here that are coon hunters will agree with me on this issue. In ALL my years of belonging to a coon hunters club that hosted coon and squirrel hunts as well as competing in them, I NEVER EVER heard them asking what kind of feed one fed that Grand Nite Champion. I also never see this subject argued on the coon hunting site I visit now. Had this very conversation with a top competition coon hunting neighbor of mine just a few months ago and I asked him what he fed his dogs as he still competition hunts at nearly 70 years old and has won the WORLD hunt. His answer was that he buys it at one of those surplus houses that handle damaged freight. I was at his house on day and he was showing me what he bought and it was a conglomeration of different smaller sized bags of numerous brands and some even puppy chow. He mixes them all together and calls it GREAT feed for the price even though it cost him more per pound than what I pay. He also has his kennels on concrete just as I do and the cleanup is pretty simple with a shovel and a garden hose every few days even with those huge coon hounds dumping a much bigger load than my beagles. When I ran the coon hounds, I never bought $1.45 per pound feed and competed right there with the best of them night in and night out. I have NEVER bought into the philosophy that more is better or you get what you pay for in everything as we buy many items that are private labeled products of the very same production line as the Brand name products. Wal-Mart doesn't actually make a single product but yet they are the biggest company in the world with the parking lots of every one of them FULL every time I go by one. Everyone of their Great Value brand products including those in the meat/poultry dept. are the exact very same products of a major brand manufacturer with their meat and poultry being purchased in volume purchased from IBP, Tyson, Excell Corp., Swift, Conagra, Foster Farms, Perdue, Cargil, etc. Same identical products in a Great value or Wal-Mart private label container that one can usually buy at a lesser price.

ray s

Post by ray s »

Mr. John Way,
had 3 boxes of dog feed sitting on my front porch when I got home from work yesterday. put the cargo van away, put on my boots ,loaded some dogs, went to my favorite running grounds. within 15 minutes I was living the life!!!!
chewy . com is working out really well for me.

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

our local store has diamond prem. adult 50lb bags,, $29.19 chewy.com has it $37.99 for 40lb... you do the math, :bash: