Greenwells Reggie

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

shawnfrazier

Re: Greenwells Reggie

Post by shawnfrazier »

I love when this topic comes up all i can say is i have a grand pup out of him and is a very fine hunting dog but thats all i could offer on this

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

shawnfrazier wrote:I love when this topic comes up all i can say is i have a grand pup out of him and is a very fine hunting dog but thats all i could offer on this
I was just curious about what people would say about him. He is my pups Great Grand Sire on the dams side and might get a pup with him as the Grand Sire on the sires side.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

backyard beagler

Post by backyard beagler »

Last edited by backyard beagler on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Blackburn
Blackburn's Beagles
LpGrRch LpGrBch Blackburn's Rabbit Charming Preacher(rip)
LpRch Blackburn's Black Jack(rip)
LpRch Blackburn's Rockstar

David Bowers

Post by David Bowers »

Well mule you have open a can of worms. I did my homework before buying the dogs I have and I don't care who likes Reggie and who don't. I have two males that is breed close to Reggie and if no one wants to breed to them I could care less.
When I had my previous line of dogs I said I would never own another Branko dog because of the few I owned or hunted with, But guess what Reggie was breed from Branko dogs and most out there have a little in them. As for as Branko dogs I have e-mailed Mrs. Branko and will have some in my kennels with in the next few years.
What is that saying I lied because MAN screwed things up. Breeding to crap and getting crap. I fill Reggie was done the same. That is why I will not breed my dogs to nothing that I don't like.
If you want a pup from what I have it is yours free of charge, and remember I give 100% back on all dogs I sale.
Let me see, if I didn't have confidence in my dogs I sure wouldn't offer that. If you don't like Reggie or you love him that is your opinion so puke in your mouth or do what you want but he has proven himself and he is a dog and dogs will breed anything in heat.
Man will have to control what is breed to him.
:angryfire:
http://sqdawgs.com/LOOK OUT THE WAY HE WENT KENNELS

David Bowers

Post by David Bowers »

P.S. Do I like Reggie, I don't know because I have not ever hunted with him but I sure do like Rage a direct son and I like Cheech a grandson out of a Reggie SON; WORLD CHAMPION SWITCH A GEAR.
Wait Reggie is a world champ that has a son that is a world champ. But he make you puke, could this be Mans fought????? :loser: :moon: It burns my a$$ man talks crap about other peoples dogs.
http://sqdawgs.com/LOOK OUT THE WAY HE WENT KENNELS

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

To me I see it like this. Reggie has a heck of a pedigree and bloodlines that are known throughout the beagling world. He competed, won and dominated in just about any format or country he ran in so you can't really ask for much more than that. His offspring have competed and won in just about any format and have also taken the world hunt. That is the resume this dog brings to the table and if you judge based on that I don't see how you couldn't place him as one of the best beagles out there. Has he been bred to a ton of females...yep. You have to ask yourself why though. The owner can't force people to bring females to him just because he says so. To breed to that many females means that the owners of those females liked his resume (who wouldn't), heard good words from others and were willing to make the drive and spend their own money to have a litter of his pups. I know this gets beat to death all the time and there are hundreds of posts on here about it already but when you're at the top two things are gonna happen. People are gonna talk a lot and people are gonna try and tear you down. Happens in everything.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

YES!!! When your on top, everybody is after your ass bout anything and everything. Reggie has been bred hundreds of times, is that his fault, no! He has been linebred, out crossed, kris crossed, every which away you can think of. Again was that the dogs fault, no!

You put a hound in multiple formats, and they succeed in multiple formats, and has off springs that succeed in diff formats, that is a dominating hound!

Old mule, to answer your question, Reggie turned out to be a heck of a hound. He has a awesome family tree ( turbo, ninja, branko ). You will find a ton of paperwork that will have his name being Grand sire on bottom and sire on top. Will that guarantee you will have awesome pups. No, there are no guarantees in breeding. Granted you will be keeping the gene pool tighter, that is still no guarantee. Do your homework, look at the hounds theirselves, and hope for the best. Lot of people out there who just paper breed. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Again, breeding is a gamble. Keep this in mind, aka ways breed to better the breed. Hope is what keeps us going. ( hope this a good stud choice) ( hope my female pairs of good with him) ( hope pups are some true rabbit dogs ) ( hope I did good on this breeding ) ( hope I have a pup that is noticed as much as Reggie is )
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

Well Reggie may have been a hard head when he was younger but it appears he was well bred because he has hunt, nose, line control and speed if he didn’t he wouldn’t have any titles. It appears he is siring puppies with the same ability as he. Impressive that he was the first living beagle to be inducted into the Better Beagling Hall of Fame. At 12 + years old people still want to breed to him at a Stud Fee of $300. Yes Reggie stands up there as one of the greats no doubt about it. You can badger him bad mouth him or low rate him if you want but you can’t take away from him what he has earned. The ability to succeed was in his genes and he is passing that ability on to his pups, grand pups and so on.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Ole Mule wrote:Being new to beagles I have been doing a lot of research and have heard a lot of good things about different dogs and was wondering if anyone could tell me some good things about Reggie and any faults he may have. I know he is out of FC TURBO POWERED BY PROP / MARAVICS BLUE GIRL. I also know that Blue Girl is Ninja bred top and bottom and that Ninja was a good dog. I also understand that Reggie was a good dog. So if anyone would like to give me the good things and his faults I would appreciate it. He is in the pedigree of the pup I have and I am researching all the dogs in the pedigree the best I can.
Ole Mule wrote:Well Reggie may have been a hard head when he was younger but it appears he was well bred because he has hunt, nose, line control and speed if he didn’t he wouldn’t have any titles. It appears he is siring puppies with the same ability as he. Impressive that he was the first living beagle to be inducted into the Better Beagling Hall of Fame. At 12 + years old people still want to breed to him at a Stud Fee of $300. Yes Reggie stands up there as one of the greats no doubt about it. You can badger him bad mouth him or low rate him if you want but you can’t take away from him what he has earned. The ability to succeed was in his genes and he is passing that ability on to his pups, grand pups and so on.

If you didn't want to hear both pros and cons, why did you ask to begin with?
You appear to have become quite the expert in just two days!

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

[quote="Swampman" If you didn't want to hear both pros and cons, why did you ask to begin with? You appear to have become quite the expert in just two days![/quote]

Well I didn't really see where anyone listed any negative faults if they did it didn't amounted to anything. So I took what good has been posted here and in General Services and made a narrative of all good things mentioned and come to the conclusion that he was one hell of a good dog. Well one thing for sure it doesn't take one a long time to make a decision when no real facts are presented against and more are statements are far for the good. If that makes me an EXPERT so be it.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Here is what's funny about any post on stud dogs.....some follow because of hearsay.....some follow on actual visual inspection of hounds from a stud or line.....if you go watch enough hounds from any stud or line you are sure to see some good.....some average.....and some bad.

This is the case with ANY stud or line of hounds.the key to me is go see the best of the line...ex. FCs off Reggie if I want Reggie blood. Not the good....not the average....the BEST out of him. See how that came together....find out what quality of a female was bred to produce the BEST, not just get you a litter off of Reggie....most take an average female they say is sufficient then criticize the stud that he didn't do his job......come on......really.....maybe u bred an average bitch and got a litter of pups just like her.....one decent pup and Reggie had everything to do with that one....lol.

I would not criticize Reggie or his owners.....they did not hand select the females....and with his popularity who would?? People like him....pay to breed to him and that is fine by me....to each his own.

I have not seen enough top level Reggie dogs to fairly assess him........therefore I don't offer an opinion...

I have said this before......if you don't evaluate the britches bred then you live with the results.....oh by the way,,,,you live with the results anyway.....lol.....some good....a lot average........some really bad in all lines or studs....lets just be honest about it.....

Blue Chaser

Post by Blue Chaser »

You also have to remember, as with any dog, the sire and dam only produce you the canvas to work with. The better the parents are the better the canvas will be you get to paint on. If you don't take the time or have the know how to turn that canvas into a painting you're not gonna be left with much no matter what the breeding was. The canvas the mona lisa is on could have just as easily ended up as a finger painting in the wrong hands. My brother and I have littermates that look like twins directly out of Reggie and blue jasper as grandsire on the dam's side. I run mine a lot more than he runs his and it shows in the field. Mine listens better, has a lot more truer mouth, can work a check and will hunt all day no questions asked. His has minor faults in all those areas. We both started with the same canvas for the most part and they were pretty even for the first 2 years but my dog is steadily pulling away and it has nothing to do with the breeding.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Ole Mule wrote:
Well I didn't really see where anyone listed any negative faults if they did it didn't amounted to anything. So I took what good has been posted here and in General Services and made a narrative of all good things mentioned and come to the conclusion that he was one hell of a good dog. Well one thing for sure it doesn't take one a long time to make a decision when no real facts are presented against and more are statements are far for the good. If that makes me an EXPERT so be it.
I don't doubt he was a good hound and producer, just realize there are no perfect hounds, no matter how minimal, they all have faults.
I'm not saying there isn't good advice to be had in forums, just don't take it as gospel. Take the time to run hounds and let them teach you what they can and cannot do.
Enjoy your pups and good luck with them, you will be the expert on their capabilities because you will have seen with your own eyes.

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

Swampman wrote: I don't doubt he was a good hound and producer, just realize there are no perfect hounds, no matter how minimal, they all have faults.
I'm not saying there isn't good advice to be had in forums, just don't take it as gospel. Take the time to run hounds and let them teach you what they can and cannot do.
Enjoy your pups and good luck with them, you will be the expert on their capabilities because you will have seen with your own eyes.

I agree they are no perfect hounds and that all have faults. But what little I do know has lead me to believe that the dogs I start with should have some Reggie genes in them. I have been fortunate to get two pups that are the breeding I like the Sire and Dam are rabbit dogs and the real deal. My future pup will be out of a son of Reggie that also is a rabbit dog and the real deal. I like what most folks are saying about Reggie I like his record and most of all I like the sire and dam of my two pups and also the future sire of the next pup in question.

I got some good statements on this post that tells me I am looking in the right direction. I do not believe anything detrimental was said about Reggie so that is a positive also. I appreciate everyone's input whether it was mean to be a good statement or intended to be a cutting statement. But all statements were of some value. Once again thanks for your input.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

If you have set the bar real high and your dogs have not accomplished what Reggie has then they must be average
for the breed ! LETS FACE IT REGGIE IS A BAD A$$! And somewhat of an outlaw these days! I LIKE OUTLAWS ! LOL
Reggie has it all imo size,pedigree,performance