shot size?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Missouri hillbilly

shot size?

Post by Missouri hillbilly »

What size shot size do you use? I use a double barrel side by side with 26" barrels. I have tried 4 shot steel, ( too tight), 7 1/2 lead ( too many bee-bees) and 6 shot lead 1 1/8 oz load. The six shot is the best but still tears them up more than I like. Buying a new gun is not an option. Does any one know if they make a 6 shot load in less than a 1 oz? what do you reccomend. I just a bought some 6 shot 1 oz steel. have not shot them yet. Any help please. Thanks.
God Bless and Jesus saves!!

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

I use varying shot/shell sizes depending upon what gauge shotgun I happen to carry. I didn't catch what gauge gun you are using.

I like 6 shot for my 410 in a 3" hi-brass w/ full choke. In my 12 gauge, I like 7 1/2 shot, 2 3/4" low brass w/ an improved cylinder tube.
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

Missouri hillbilly

sorry, 12ga. Thanks for the input.

DarrinG

Post by DarrinG »

Mo Hillbilly,

I experimented w/ shot sizes in my 12 gauge also. I found that a "trade-off" was necessary. I could shoot 6 shot and tear the bunny up worse but have less shot to pick out, or I could use 7 1/2 shot (w/ improved cylinder tube), have the shot spread out more and tear the bunny up less, but have to pick a little more shot out of the meat. I decided that I'd rather pick out a little more shot and still have decent meat than to have fewer pellets to pick out and have the meat shredded and wasted by bigger shot.

Food for thought.
+++
He's coming....are you ready?

Vince Z.

shot size

Post by Vince Z. »

As long as you are using a 12 gauge to shoot rabbits you are going to tear things up no matter what shot size you use. My favorite bunny gun is a single shot 20 gauge with a modified choke and #6 shot. I bought it at walmart for $79. They still sell them at this price. Good luck. Vince Z.

jon cornett

shot size

Post by jon cornett »

I USE A 20 GUAGE MOSSBERG PUMP WITH A IMPROVED CYLINDER CHOKE TUBE FOR A WIDE PATTERN AND HIGH BRASS NUMBER 6 SHOT. VERY FEW SHOT UP RABBITS UNLESS THERE REAL CLOSE AND I TRY NOT TO SHOOT THEM CLOSE. YOU CAN SHOOT THEM CLOSE IF YOU HOLD YOUR BARREL OVER AND CATCH THEM WITH THE EDGE OF THE SHOT. DID USE A 12 GUAGE IN THE PAST AND NO MATTER WHAT I DIDNT LIKE THE RESULTS, TOO MANY SHOT UP.

SWMo

Post by SWMo »

Personally... I use #6 in a 410 full choke. I also carry a Ruger 22 pistol for the "close" shots. Me and some of my hunting buddies have started using the 22 pistols more often than shotguns. Don't bring home as much meat but a ton more memories of the hunt. Bad thing with this is if too many guys go it can get dangerous. More than 3 or 4 we mandate shotguns to reduce the risk of someone getting seriously hurt. To add some more fun I put a inexpensive red dot scope on my pistol. :lol:

Mo Hillbilly... where are you at in Missouri?

Missouri hillbilly

thanks every one for the input. merry x-mass

john870

shot size

Post by john870 »

I dont know what choke you are using and that has a lot to do with shot selection.I like a 1 ounce low brass load of 6's from a 12 ga with improved cylinder choke.very little waste and still reaches out a little.remington offers high velocity game loads wich are 7/8 oz.these in 7 1/2 might be worth a try.

mobeagles

Post by mobeagles »

Hillbilly have you considered buying a reloader and experimenting with your own loads? You can buy a reloader pretty cheap.
I have a friend who has one that he just wants to get out of the way. He was telling me that he would sell it and shot and powder real cheap. If you would be interested let me know cause you are only about 40 miles from me.

Joe West

Post by Joe West »

IN a 12 Ga. I like to use the low brass in 7 1/2 or 8. It doesn't break the bones up bad like the #6 does. The gun I normally hunt with is a single shot 20 and I use #6 in it and it does fine. Actually I started useing it because someone gave me hundreds of rounds of twenty Ga. ammo so I went out and bought a cheap single shot 20 Ga. (the ammo was worth more then the gun.) I liked it and have used it ever since.

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

4's or 6's from a 30 year old High Standard pump 12

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

#6 high brass - using a Franchi 20 ga. (not very well, mind you, but using it just the same ;) )

ACOMEAU

Shots size

Post by ACOMEAU »

22. short. Remington bolt action with peep site. Switched over last season and its a lot of fun.

mobeagles

Post by mobeagles »

Bev, Do you use the Baikal O/U that you bought last year? That's all I hunt with anymore, really taken a liking to it.