First training lesson

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ole Mule

First training lesson

Post by Ole Mule »

I just gave my two beagle pups a training lesson. They are 3 months old. These two pups acted like grown dogs they ran a rabbit in my 3/4 acre pen mouthing all the way. They have a beautiful squall and chop voice. They lost the rabbit but put their nose to the ground and it wasn't long to the race was on again. I had 5 minutes of pure pleasure. I will give my rabbit a couple days rest and go at it again later on in the week. These two pups came from Look Out The Way He Went Kennels, I can't thank David Bowers enough. Man am I excited. This was the first rabbit they ever seen.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

Casey Harner

Re: First training lesson

Post by Casey Harner »

Welcome to the sickness, fortunetly there isn't a cure. Good luck.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

David Bowers

Post by David Bowers »

Thanks Old Mule I am so glad you like them. I hope the one I kept does the same I know she is a ball of fire. Keep us posted and the mother will be breed again to a diffrent male soon. RAGE next go round!!!
http://sqdawgs.com/LOOK OUT THE WAY HE WENT KENNELS

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Good deal ! ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

I am new to beagles so I am not sure exactly what I am doing right or wrong but using common sense. First this was there first rabbit and they ran together when they lost it one did most the trailing to relocate but when she spoke up the other one was right there with her and the race was on again. I was really excited, now the rabbit is resting for a few days and I am working out my plan of action for the second go round. I want to see them search and jump a hidden rabbit in my training pen. I am not sure if they should catch and kill yet. I am using tame rabbits so I know eventually they will catch it and I am thinking about letting them have it when they do. Question is this a good idea or a bad idea.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

Ive let my dogs kill at least once not sure if it really matters though i think if it in them then they will hunt either way