breeding and culling .

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Full Throttle

Re: breeding and culling .

Post by Full Throttle »

Ok. I don't usually post on these topics but I'm bored. One man's cull might be another man's top hound. There are several different running styles of beagles. One man might like a slower line control hound and the guy next door might like a faster hound that doesn't have so much line work. ect. ect. The important thing is that the hound brings the rabbit full circle. Find what kind of running style you like, focus on breeding those style of hounds and you'll be happy with what you have in your kennel. Sometimes you here a man talk about another man having great hounds and the other guy that lives beside him has hounds that arent worth a wooden nickel and the next guy say just the opposite. I personally don't criticize somebody else's dogs because I know everybody likes different styles of running. If you end up with a dog or pups that doesn't suit your style make the cull by selling him to somebody that he will suit. For example. A year and a half ago I acquired a male that was a-year-old that had been passed around two or three times because he wasn't doing what the previous owners wanted to see from him. I watched him run solow and yes he did need some work but I wanted to see what he would do if I put some time in him. Once I got him where I wanted him to be I took him to some trials. He has placed in AKC,PKC & NKC. I've been offered good money for him and turned it down. He is one of the best males I've had in the last 10 years. My whole point in this post is just to say be very particular about your culls.

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

Culling and line breeding (inbreeding) usually go hand in hand!!
Run to catch!!!

transman63

Post by transman63 »

mn_beagleboy wrote:I cull very early. Wean the pups in 2 ac pen. By 3 month old, I should be able to tell who are the top of the litter. Non started or lesser ability gets cull. I get about 2 - 3 pups make the cut. I see a very successful results. Lesser ability goes to house pet where they belong! Good performance pups go to hunting home. Cull young, less feed, more room available, better reputation, and better beagling.

Sao
and that is how its dun.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .