Started at 8 months and quit at 6 yr old ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dave404

Started at 8 months and quit at 6 yr old ?

Post by dave404 »

I got a male that started at 8 months old and he made my lead hound. never ran trash of any kind.
When you heard him open, u knew he had a rabbit .
when he turned 6 yr old, he just quit running cold turkey. Won't even pay attention to the other hounds and they can run right by him.
In all my 30yrs beagling , he's the 1st to quit like this.
Anyone else have any experience , what will make one quit ? he's healthy etc..

deerhost

Re: Started at 8 months and quit at 6 yr old ?

Post by deerhost »

I would have him checked for Lymes disease first. If thats not the case then I don't know what to tell you......DH

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I'd like to figure this out aswell. I got a 3 yr jyp that is doing the same thing . She was doing great & then just stopped & will basically just follow me around . Happened just as cool weather came on last fall ????
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Never seen nothing like that.Sound like a good dog too.I ve got some good old timers I know and I will ask them.

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

Take a look at his teeth, had one that just quit running and she had a impacted tooth. Vet took care of that and she was good as new.

JMaynard

Post by JMaynard »

I got to see a coyote running my female down and biting at her heels. It took her 3 months before she would go back hunting.

dave404

Post by dave404 »

No symptoms of Lyme disease.
This hound is now 9 yr old, he quit around 6 yrs old. He's always fired up wanting to go when I load a pack. I take him most of the time but he just wanders around. Striker x Branko bred.

one guy says coyote scared him, another says snake . hes never been attacked by yotes, never snake bit either.
I raised him and a sister to him from pups. His sister is still running.
Very disappointing and curious ???

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Are the other dogs faster than him? Is he constantly being pulled by the pack? Some dogs can't take the pressure and just quit. I have a pup here now I am going to try to bring back that that has happened to him, never was able to get the rabbit himself, just blew his confidence. Try starting him over againand if he does start, give him solo time and brace (run him with a dog he can beat) him from time to time. It will work wonders for his confidence. Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

I GOT I AT 5 YRS. OLD QUIT HUNTING WILL RUN WHEN THEY JUMP BUT WONT HUNT HAS BEEN A TOP NOTCH DOG IN THE PAST GO FIGURE REMEMBER WHEN SHE JUMP 1 RABBIT BEHIND ANOTHER . NOW HANGS AROUND WITH ME. HAVE QUIT CARRYING HER ALMOST CANT SWALLOW ADOG AROUND MY FEET.
BIGDOGPACE

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I have seen this when a dog gets older and one young dog. In the case of older dogs they get use to leading a pack when they get older and young dogs start pushing them they will sometimes quit or go off and find they're own game to run. Will this hound go out and run without the pack ? If so that may be yor answer if not he may have had is spirit broke . I have 1 young hound get its spirit broke( I think only thing I can figure) started out doing awesome at just over a year it seem to lose al its desire would run along and only bark maybe few times all day. It's first year ran with an older dog that did most the work and it just quit trying and would not hunt on its own either only thing I could figure is broken spirit. First time I have seen this in 40 yrs of dogs.

Schag

Post by Schag »

I have seen this action in a couple young hounds in 27 years of owning them that I have put too much pressure on at a young age. Had to pull back on them to get their minds right again, but most of those never did make a dog for me. I have seen this one time in an older dog. He was trialed VERY heavy, almost every weekend, and at the end he would not run with any pack. He would run by himself, but not with a pack. He would stand right by you as the pack rolled on with it. We could not hunt him after that, and he never did come out of it to my knowledge. I like the way Mr. Summers put it, "spirit was broke". Good luck.

dave404

Post by dave404 »

Will this hound go out and run without the pack ?
No, he wont even try to find a rabbit on his own, and as stated he was my lead jump dog.
A man may never know "why" or the real reason for quitting.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

I've seen a few older that have lost their sense of smell act this way.I had an old female that had been my benchmark dog for years.Everything in my kennel was compared to her.My buddies would come borrow her when they were trying out a new hound.When she got around 9 years old she started making mistakes.Acting like she had a jump,coming out of a check wide open and not having it all kinds of stupid stuff.As time went on it got worse she could walk across a red hot track and not smell a thing she got to the point she wouldn't even try anymore.In her last few years I would take her sometimes just to get her out she would stay close and when the other dogs were running she would sit and listen.She still liked to hear a good race.It was kinda sad.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Yesterday I ran my dogs for about 4 to 5 hours , this jyp that I talked about that just up and stopped run'n . I started to leave her at home . At the last minute I loaded her , didn't put the e-collar& tracker on her kinda said to heck with it she will be at my feet . Well lo & behold she went to hunt as soon as the tail gate dropped and hunted the whole time just like before she quite . Got me thinking maybe it's the electronics ????
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Newt

Post by Newt »

LR Patch wrote: Got me thinking maybe it's the electronics ????
Some dogs will not tolerate much tritronics. I've had a couple, one that I gave away and the other I sold because I recognized they would not ever take the shock collar. The one I gave away, the guy loved and kept him until the dog died. Under his care he was fine. The one that I sold, I told him the situation. Don't shock him or he is is through for the day. He has hunted him for two seasons with no problems except when he got into an elecetric fence.