long hauls

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ericwaddle3

long hauls

Post by ericwaddle3 »

You guys do anything special when hauling a dog 5+ hours? Just wanna make it as comfortable and less stressful as possible. Thanks.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Rcoff

Re: long hauls

Post by Rcoff »

Make sure they have a chance to use the bathroom to.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

DEPENDS ON THE DOG IF HE IS HIPPER AND 35 LBS AND YOU ARE ONLY SHIPPING TO A BUYER AND NOT A TRIAL YOU CAN GIVE HIM CHILDRENS MOTRIN 1 OR 2 CC IF HE IS UNDER 5 YRS OLD BUT HE MUST HAVE WATER AVALIBLE MOTRINE DRYS THEM OUT AND IS HARD ON THE KIDNEYS. AND IF YOU WANT YOU CAN GET MEDCATION FROM YOUR VET TO HELP THE DOG DEAL WITH SHIP STRESS. AND YOU CAN NOT AFFORD THAT JUST RUN HIM ALOT JUST BEFORE SHIPPING. AND BE SURE TO LET THE BUYER NOW THAT THE DOG WILL NEED A WEEK OF ADJUSTMENT BEFOR HE WILL BE HIS OLD SELF. OH YAAH YOU CAN GIVE HIM GRANBERRY PILLS TO HELP HIS KIDNEYS FROM GIVING HIM TROUBLE ALSO SOME GARLIC PILLS START BOTH A WEEK BEFOR SHIPPING GOOD LUCK SHIPPING IS HARDER ON DOGS TEHN PEOPLE THINK IT IS.

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

We hauled ours 16 hours to Maine, stopped once at the halfway mark to let them do their thing. On the way home we didn't even get them out...they didn't want out.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

My yearly Island trip is an 8 hour drive.
I stop half way along Lake Michigan and let them run around on the beach.
I have made the trip with the hounds in the dog box in the back of the truck, and this year, I purchased a dog trailer and hauled them in it.
I have the 3/4" cattle mats cut to fit both the dog box and trailer to give them a little bit of a cushion.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I live in Tn. and frequently haul my dogs to northern Maine and northern New Hampshire for several weeks of hare hunting.That's about a 23 hour haul.I've got a good sized dog box which I put plenty of good straw in and then two dogs to a side.When we're hunting and only taking one truck we can easily put 4 dogs per side but when the dogs are living out of the box for two weeks,two to a side gives them plenty of room.
When on the highway I usually try to stop every 5-6 hours to let them empty out and offer them some water.Dogs travelling will drink a lot it seems.
I've got padlocks on my box so when I'm in a restraunt or motel I can lock them up.Don't ever know what might happen?
My dogs get hauled around a lot and travel real well.No problems with them at all.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch