two full brothers will they produced same style of pups

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dhoundman

two full brothers will they produced same style of pups

Post by dhoundman »

any body ever do this if :?: so what was the results :!:

mybeagles

Re: two full brothers will they produced same style of pups

Post by mybeagles »

Same male doesn't always produce the same on repeat cross. Lots of variables with breeding. Litter mates will likely carry some of the same traits but not all. There are percentage variables that will play out with every cross. Some males simply produce better than others to include litter mates. Lots of theory as to why, none the less there are differences.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Kenny VanHoose

Post by Kenny VanHoose »

You breed to brothers and you aint gonna get nothing :D Seriously they wont usually wont throw like crosses.
Wildcat Kennel
Wildcat Cosmo
Wildcat Newman
Grand R. Ch. Wildwood Eli
Grand R. Ch. B. CH Wildcat Joker
Grand R. CH. Gr. Bench Ch. Wildcat Earl

Newt

Post by Newt »

dhoundman wrote:any body ever do this if :?: so what was the results :!:
Of course not unless the males are identical twins.
I'm about to breed a bitch to a litter mate of the stud that used on her the first time. I liked what I got but the brother is smaller and I'm hoping for thirteen inch pups.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Depends if they are bred from families of phenotype & genotype hounds, meaning, they are already "set" to reproduce in type and likeness.
Since 95' I've always bred a main line of brothers to nieces, these hounds were all from 1/2 brothers crossed on bitches of the same family. It is the way of line breeding to one specific individual back up the family tree to keep it's influence prominent(greater influence %) in the pedigree.
Of course, the hounds used should have no disqualifying faults as individuals, meaning, you shouldn't mind having more like them or better, as that is the purpose of building a family, few failures of become successful hunting companions at or above your standard.

If the brothers are from outcrosses to different styles of hound or culling has not been kept up, anything can pop up from brothers or even the same hound. Of course the bitch bred will have her say on the matter of the pups also. This is were narrowing the variables is most important as you can see. In 3 generations behind you have 30 hounds involved, if they are a mix of type and various standards, it's easy to see where a great variety and disparity could occur within a litter from the same hound or his brother.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I bred to two FC direct sons out of Rangerdan here in NY. These were litermate brothers. One was a more conservative line running dog. The other was a harder and looser running male. I had three litters in all and the both produced the exact same kind of pups. Both harder hitting like the one sire. None were concervative like the other brother........dh

Michael Maynard

Post by Michael Maynard »

Most will not produce the same style of pups. Same with littermate females. I have bred two sisters to the same male dog. Produced different style of running. Both litters hunted good. One litter was conservative on the track ran close line. The other litter would range out on checks and fight for the front. Two totally different styles.
TRIPLE M'S BEAGLES
LPGRCH TRIPLE M'S CODE BLUE II
LPGRCH BACKROAD'S AXLE
LPRCH TRIPLE M'S OL BLACK BETTY
LPRCH TRIPLE M'S CODE BLUE CHANCE
LPRCH BACKROAD'S SIMBA

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

DH, I think I remember Steve Cory saying Dan produced better being bred to tighter mouth, hard hitting bitches. I know he said, to much mouth could be a problem if the bitch also had a free tongue.
I sure miss Steve and Joe.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Patch, I got nice pups out of those litters. Hard, hard hunt with good nose. A little harder hitting then I thought I would get. I keep in touch with some that have those pups and the guys love them and wish I would breed again but one of the males is dead the other is too old and so is one of my females.., so it is no longer an option....dh

Newt

Post by Newt »

Michael Maynard wrote:Most will not produce the same style of pups. Same with littermate females. I have bred two sisters to the same male dog. Produced different style of running. Both litters hunted good. One litter was conservative on the track ran close line. The other litter would range out on checks and fight for the front. Two totally different styles.

I agree. How many brothers have been equal in producing Field Champions.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

The two males out of Rangerdan I breed too both produced multple field Champians. One produced 3 the other produced more then 3. When a line produces it can really produce. There are other examples of this. FC Sabattus Mountain Otis I believe produced a few FC and he had a brother that also produced. Eddie Valentine from PA had two littermate Sisters who produced well and there are other examples. It does not happen often but when you have a producing line it can......DH