Rabbit Urine or Scent to catch rabbits

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

WTV

Rabbit Urine or Scent to catch rabbits

Post by WTV »

Hey Beaglers
Any of you ever used rabbit urine or rabbit training scent in your traps to catch more rabbits? I know about an older gentleman who uses nothing for bait but catches numerous rabbits every year. I've been told it's because his boxes have been used so much the smell just draws them in. I do know every time I catch a rabbit I seem to catch another soon after. Of course having the trap set where rabbits are helps....lol I was thinking about trying to order some urine or scent and spraying my traps to see if it increases my catches. Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Good Running, WTV

rabbitatfarm

Re: Rabbit Urine or Scent to catch rabbits

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I have had similar observations. I think the rabbit in the trap leaves plenty of scent--urine and poop--that attracts another rabbit. I don't think I's waste money on ordering rabbit urine. Find someone that raises rabbits.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

WTV

Post by WTV »

10-4 Rabbitfarm. I'll try to find someone close by.

ray s

Post by ray s »

I agree.
When my daughter had her 4-H rabbits , the wild rabbits were always hanging around their hutches.

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

rabbitatfarm wrote:I have had similar observations. I think the rabbit in the trap leaves plenty of scent--urine and poop--that attracts another rabbit. I don't think I's waste money on ordering rabbit urine. Find someone that raises rabbits.
I agree I trap several around the house just to turn back loose infront of pups but somethen I found that works for fresh trap is Apple vineager
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

WTV

Post by WTV »

Wow, first time I've ever heard about using apple vinegar.
Thanks for input from each of you. The forum has been a great place to learn more about the things I have enjoyed my whole life. Keep'em coming. Can't find too many ideas.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Vanilla extract works great too. :nod:

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I used nothing.I ve get my boxes out from last year and used nothing and start catching them.But if I make a new box.I used rabbit trail scent.Works great. The biggest thing about catching rabbits is.You have to find rabbits and work your boxes. That box works better if its narrow to, just over 3 inch wide.They like that narrow box.

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

Honey, vanilla extract, sugar, apple juice. Dip sliced apple into the mixture and set it on the trap.
Minnesota Beagler

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Pure anise extract works good, put a cap full in a plastic bag with some cut up apples. Works great. Your wife probably has some in the cupboard, but you can buy it at the grocery store in the spice isle.

WTV

Post by WTV »

Thanks to you all!!! Great info!!

Kazoo

Post by Kazoo »

Every body around here says bait with apples and vanilla. Had a few hanging around the house and went to set a trap and didn't have any apples. Used a wedge of orange. Couldn't keep up with them. two traps, four rabbits one night.

brfhounds

Post by brfhounds »

wildlife control supplies makes a cottontail cager. smell more like rabbit then real one.. urine glands from male rabbit and curiosity lure.. i love it and everybody ive givin some to love it as much.. cheap doesnt take much ..