Person theatening to shoot my dogs?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rackhntr

Person theatening to shoot my dogs?

Post by rackhntr »

I have 25 acres leased to run dogs on and hunt on. The person beside of it has 2 acres leased with 4 horses on it. Every once in awhile my dogs will swing over on the 2 acres after a rabbit and then come right back. The person with the horses said it bothered them and the next time he caught them on that property he said he would shoot them all. By law what rights do I have to go on if he kills my dogs? I'm in Tn!
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

Ohiohntr

Re: Person theatening to shoot my dogs?

Post by Ohiohntr »

I would elevate the issue to the County DNR Officer, that's what they are there for (protect our rights as sportsman and interpret the laws regarding such).....not to get the person in trouble but to ease your mind and the CO might be able to have a friendly chat regarding the consequences of killing a sporting dog with the person doing the threatening. Be proactive before it is an issue and you have a bunch of shot up hounds on your hands...
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

I know in WV you can't help where your beagles chase after the rabbit. We have the right to get the dogs off the property and such. I'd for sure get in contact with your DNR people.

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

I know your dogs aren't bothering his horses but I know in IA if any dog is harrassing your livestock or damaging your property you as a farmer/landowner have a right to protect yours. I know your dogs aren't harrassing his livestock or bothering his hoses but if something were to happen you would have to proove they were not. I know last year in iowa man shot 2 coyote dogs running thru his cattle they weren't bothering them might have spooked them a little and he got by with it I also know a deer hunter shot a mans coondog and he paid for the dog the anguish he put the guy thru and also for what he could of made from offspring, I know I wouldn't take a chance and go talk to warden see if you all can't resolve it.
Iowa also has the right of retrieval law but that does not protect your dog from being shot by a livestock owner that don't want your dogs there

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

ohiohntr, gave you some good advice on being pro-active, and talking to the Warden, and perhaps having the Warden to help out. You will also get the facts pertaining to the law from him. In West Virginia, we do NOT have the right to go onto another's property to retrieve our dogs, if we do so we are trespassing .

C Clark

Post by C Clark »

Just to put a little thought on both sides of this issue first I would like to say there should never be a sporting animal shot that being said as a horse owner and beagle owner you cannot help where your dogs run a rabbit but as a horse owner there is issues involved with stress on farm animals a horse can founder off of stress and I have seen this happen more than once and have seen animals ran thru fences so as a dog owner if you own the responsible animal for these actions you could be responsible for any vet bills or lose of animals that was caused by your animals so the horse owner has wrights to protect there livestock but not by killing your dogs but vet bills on a large breed animal are very exsepensive and would hate to have to be responsible for causing this to happen so I can run a rabbit

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

C. Clark, good post especially about the stress! a lot of folks are un-aware that it is unlawful for a dog to " worry" livestock in some states, West Virginia is one of those states! So one must be careful it is very easy to end up owing the owner of Livestock, a lot of Money!

Crow

Post by Crow »

Like someone else posted. In TN a land / lease owner does have the right to kill a dog posing a threat to life or property but it is illegal to kill any dog otherwise. Further in TN posted land does not apply to a person legally hunting with dogs if the dogs leave the property and get on posted land. The hunter has the right to go retrieve their dogs but cannot be "in the act of hunting" while doing it and is not required to contact the land / lease owner to do it. Basically you gotta leave the guns and ammo, go straight in, get the dogs, and straight back out. Cannot be charged with trespassing. I also believe as another poster said. I'd be on the phone with the GW as soon as possible and inform him or her of the situation before something happened. Maybe suggest a meeting with the GW and the neighboring lease holder before it comes to shooting dogs. Maybe even speak to the land owner of the horse lease about the threats the lease holder is making. Whatever route you go I think being proactive is much better than reactive.

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

I have seen the rabbit run right through the middle of the horses and the dogs come through behind it. The horses dont seem fazed by them and actually walk toward the dogs and follow them. The owners of the horses live 2 houses up and when they hear the dogs running on my side they come over and walk around in the field looking over my way like I'm commiting a crime! The woman said she has notified the local sheriff and he told her to kill them all but I dont think its true!
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

In Ohio the law says of your dog is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bit or otherwise endanger. Or that kills livestock , poultry , other domestic animals, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be KILLED at the time of the chasing, approaching , attempt, killing or injury. If attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, he or she is not liable.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Crow

Post by Crow »

You have a PM.

steve w

Post by steve w »

I had a good dog killed by horses I will not run anywhere near them now.Situation was simular to yours and I never expected it.

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

I forgot that in my earlier post was my mom has horses and they hate dogs would chase my beagles out of pasture, they at first looked like they were inquisitive about dogs but when they got close would strike and kick at them

C Clark

Post by C Clark »

I have seen dog stomped by horses first hand and almost had one killed by a jack keep I'm mind a lot of people run donkeys with the cattle for that reason they will stomp kick and kill dogs coyotes fox or what ever comes in there area and they post as a treat so yes I agree I don't like running around horses myself