who got you beagling

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brad stewart

who got you beagling

Post by brad stewart »

For me it was a family member and a good friend I had been around it all my life but never owned a dog of my own until 10yrs ago Brent centers gave me a gray beagle out of his old bam bam dog and it changed my life for ever theres not a day that goes by that I dont talk dogs run dogs exc thank you for geting me in such a great sport I loved that dog so much and he was stolen from me I thought he would be easy to find were he was all gray but he never turned up he had a head the size of a five gallon bucket and was a hunting machine tell this day I have only seen a couple marked up like him. I started with him and went through 20 more until I found some that I like
if they dont hunt they dont stay

PREACHERS KENNEL

Re: who got you beagling

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

my dad . he took me when i was like 8 squirrel hunting ,,then onto rabbit hunting .. i was the jump dog if there was a pile i jumped on it ..they got to shoot . about 10 dad got some dogs ,but the time i was 12,13 i started taking them out by myself hunting all day coming back home that eve wiith usually 2 or 3 rabbits..
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

2 guys got me into beagling.

First, back in 1988 I started tagging along with my uncle and the farmers in our area.
They would get together every weekend and run fox with beagles.
The fox covered a lot of ground because we had large barren farm fields covered in snow.
They'd head to a small woodlot or creek bed. You'd spend most of the day driving around trying to head off mr. fox.
The beagles used were dog pound / give aways that measured 15-16" . I didn't know that beagles were any shorter?

Then in 1992 a guy that worked for my dad came over to hunt rabbits on our property.
He brought along a 13" female named Corky. We hunted the section behind the house and got our limit that day.
I had never seen such a small beagle let alone one that actually ran rabbits!
I just had to get me a beagle!

Found an ad for half Greek Hare Hound x Beagle. Picked one up and she taught me how to be a beagler!
I've had registered beagles ever since.
:bigsmile:

Richie57

Post by Richie57 »

Grandfather back in about 1963. He started beagling in the early 1920's and his father-in-law, my great grandfather influence him and was running beagles before the turn of the last century.

brad stewart

Post by brad stewart »

Thats great you never forget your first time out with dogs

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

My Dad:

Started running trap line with him at 4:00 am before school....coon hunted with dogs at night, rabbit hunted with beagle on weekends.

I enjoy trapping and coonhunting but I'm obsessed with beagles. I think it's in your blood and when introduced to it you will quickly be addicted.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

warddog

Post by warddog »

No one got me into beagling but rather I was born into it. When I was a kid our entire family on both my parents sides ALL hunted. Of course back then they all did so to put meat on the table even though it was expensive to do. If one figures the cost of license, an ole shotgun and the shells my dad's $1.50 an hour job didn't go very far for extras. I also remember getting together on the weekends for family meals when doing so was so as to be able to pool the food rather than for the mere sake of a family get together to socialize. We did so at times at my grandparents and then other times at my aunt and uncle's. There was someone in our family that hunted any and all game other than deer as there just weren't any to hunt back then. Most all hunted rabbits and squirrel and my uncle hunted and got me into coon hounds. I was about 8 years old when my dad and his brother again pooled their money to buy the first beagle we ever owned. The dog was the best one I have ever hunted with bare none until this day and is what my cousin and I judge others by. He was a white registered male, blind in one eye and a rabbit hunting machine. He cost my dad and my uncle $35.00 or about $20.00 each after they took him to the vet for a check out and shots. BOY, I can also remember my Mom chewing my dad out for spending $20.00 on an ole hound dog!

Crow

Post by Crow »

Like most my 1st beagle experience was with my dad. I was about 6 or 7 years old and he had a friend with dogs. They were going and I tagged along. My dad never had hunting dogs when I was growing up so that was it for about 10 years. Then a friend of mine talked me into buying a pup and he was getting an "old dog" so we could run his and train mine. Well $75 dollars later we had them both. Needless to say that was a disaster with 2 boys new to beagles with a $50 "dog" and a $25 dollar pup, both found new addresses in short order :lol: It would take another 8 years before I would follow another beagle but a co-worker invited me to go along one day so I did. That was all it took, he had a couple of good dogs and it got me! A couple of months of hunting then running dogs with him and I was in the market. I've had beagle 11 years now and haven't looked back since. Strange thing is even though he was the 1st to take me Dad never went with me when I had dogs. The 1st few years were work obligations then the last several health issues prevented it. Sadly he died this past April so we never got the chance to listen my dogs together. That is about the only regret I have tied to this sport. Hopefully someone will read this that has been "putting off" or "gonna get around to it" running with someone they love. I did and I have regretted it every trip I've went since he died.

So I guess to answer the question as to who got me beagling I guess I'd have to say it was God's will, because it took nearly 20 years to do it, but it got done. Very glad I didn't sleep in those mornings :D
Last edited by Crow on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I remember I was somewere around 8 or 9 years old with my BB gun and I seen a rabbit in it bed. I hit the rabbit and it took off.Learnd later there was a dog that would run a rabbit call a Beagle. Got my first beagle at 13.Learnd later in the years ,Just because its a beagle it will run a rabbit.Never had nobody to show me the trails about beagles. I had to learnd on my own. My Daddy was a good man. He show me how to work. I build all 7 pens by myself.Thanks dad.Started work on a trator at 6 years old.

brad stewart

Post by brad stewart »

I remember helping dad and papa train a pair of pups I was six yrs old I pulled a rabbit around for those pups for dad and they chased it I thought it was so cool. Then they grew up they were the best pair of hounds dad ever owned I loved going hunting with him at a young age then the day came were we had to move from ky to Illinois and we gave the dogs to a family member he said that they were the best hounds he ever had also. Yrs went by and thats were brent ask me if I wanted a beagle and since then I have not looked back my son is nine yrs old and he finally got bit by the beagle bug just when I was bought to give up on him he fell in love with running dogs so know every time I go he goes

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

My Uncles Don and Chuck had hounds when I was a kid, 1950s. Every Saturday and Sunday they came over and Dad let me tag along. For some reason Dad quit going once I got old enough to hunt alone. Mom didn't like me hunting alone with my uncles--one was a bit trigger happy. Just jump shot for several years. Got into bird dogs and about 10 years ago, I decided to get a beagle. Jim Preston sold me first dog and worked with me getting her started. He later gave my son a pup in exchange for a future pup from my female. We had planned to go halves on the pup. Jim had to wait a while; that female was not a good mother and only one pup survived and he had issues. In a funny incident after my son graduated from college and was attending school in Chicago to get his teaching certificate. He took his dog, Sam, with him for a "vacation" for about a month over the summer on the north side of Chicago. Sam got sprayed by a skunk three times within a couple of weeks. Seems once would have been enough. It's ironic, because we live on an old, overgrown, 80 acre farm and none of my dogs have ever been sprayed.

Jim had to wait a while for his pup. That female was not a good mother and only one pup survived. He had issues. Vic Eding gave me a Bredemeirer female we planned to breed to another male he knew of. I kept three of the pups.
I now have five beagles in the kennel and Sam and my female Annie in the house. Got into trials last year with one of the pups.

Larry (Now that some of you have figured out who "rabbitatfarm" is.)
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

My all-time hero, Rev. Roy O. Williams, my Daddy. I will never forget him! Bobby

bobm81

Post by bobm81 »

my uncle james gave me my first beagle when i was 7 and i have been with it ever since... 25yrs

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

My Uncle John---My father was a non-hunter although he did fish a little. Uncle Johnny would pick me up on Saturday mornings and off we would go -he usually only had one dog-never over two . Many times did I see him gut a Rabbit and hold the Heart STILL BEATING in his hand.
He loved to see a Dog "Eye Ball" a Bunny and during a good chase would Say "Mercy"

Miss him badly--would give anything to have one more "Briar Rabbit" hunt with him

RIP

Jim
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

My uncle Bill gave me my first beagle when I was 8, Whitetoe. She would run a rabbit but backtrack like a fool, lol. She ended up getting poisoned. After that my grandpa bought my brother and myself to dogs that were brothers, Timbercreek Joe, and Crash Bandicoot. Training them from pups, listening to grandpa's stories, and my uncle Rich taking me out with them every weekend hunting was what really got me started.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie