My dog is dying and I can't figure out why... Update

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mo. Beagler 5000

My dog is dying and I can't figure out why... Update

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

I have a dog who is so hyper he can't be controlled. He started losing a little weight and acting sluggish and scared. He used to run out of his kennel and beat his head against it to get out and now he won't come out even if I call him.

He lost 7lbs in the last 2 weeks or so and acts like he doesn't want to move his head. He still eats and drinks but he is laboring to do it. He would eat his whole feed in a minute flat and now it takes him 5-6 minutes.

I brought him to the vet and thought something was stuck up his nose. Vet drained his anal glands and said he didn't have a temp but did have an ear infection and said for a 2.5 year old dog he had some of the worst teeth ever. (I don't really think he did have an ear infection)

Anyway, he gave the dog prednizone and some pretty heavy antibiotics but there is no change after 4 days. He just isn't the same dog anymore. He used to high jump my couches and could hop on my kitchen counters and now he doesn't even want to climb my 2 porch steps.

His stool is firm still and he is wormed and everything so I can't figure it out.
Last edited by Mo. Beagler 5000 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

Househounds

Re: My dog is dying and I can't figure out why...

Post by Househounds »

Could it be Leptospirosis. My dog Max has just been diognosed with it. He has not eaten since Sunday and yesterday they changed his Antibiotics. It sounds like if we did not catch it soon enough he could be in real trouble. :(
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

Mo. Beagler 5000

Househounds wrote:Could it be Leptospirosis. My dog Max has just been diognosed with it. He has not eaten since Sunday and yesterday they changed his Antibiotics. It sounds like if we did not catch it soon enough he could be in real trouble. :(
I doubt it, He has had two 7 ways...

RR_Beagles

Post by RR_Beagles »

Does it show any signs of being in pain? I had a beagle hurt his back. If he was that energetic he could have injured himself. My pit had an ear infection a few weeks ago. He actually gained weight since he couldn't run without it causing him so much pain.

lab

Post by lab »

Have them do blood work it may be lyme disease. I know this is not the time of year this should happen but your dog may have had it back in late summer and now showing up. I know a lot of guys that there dogs have had it and they acted the way you our describing.

NeilKimbrel7

Post by NeilKimbrel7 »

I had a female once that became lethargic. She showed signs of depression and became a finicky eater. Vet said it was bacterial and perscribed some antibiotics. She never got better. Later on she developed sores. I had blood work done because a friend said it sounded like blasto. He was right. I had to put her down.
HOF LPGRCH GRPCH FCGD Kimbrel's Kickem Up Kane
Kimbrel's Flyby Foxy lady
Kimbrel’s Rock
Peeple’s Naughty Girl

BAOTB

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Four days is not enough time for the antibiotics to work, probably take 10-14 days.
Big Mike

Crow

Post by Crow »

Lethargy with decreased appetite and activity along with very poor dental condition sounds as if it could be related to renal failure (kidney failure). If they haven't done lab work sounds like they maybe should.

Mo. Beagler 5000

My vet did not do bloodwork. I haven't really needed a vet since I moved so I am going to try a different vet Monday if he doesn't show improvement over the weekend or sooner if he gets worse.

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

Maybe you should pray for him.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

Mo. Beagler 5000

barnold1 wrote:Maybe you should pray for him.
I'll will take my chances with a vet. :biggrin: But if he pulls through and YOU pray for him, I will go to church on a Sunday of your choice...

warddog

Post by warddog »

You can pray for that dog until the cows come home BUT if those lips don't sprout some legs beneath them and carry that dog to a vet that can do the scientific work to diagnose the problem you will then be saying a different kind of prayer!

Crow

Post by Crow »

Mo. Beagler 5000 wrote:
barnold1 wrote:Maybe you should pray for him.
I'll will take my chances with a vet. :biggrin: But if he pulls through and YOU pray for him, I will go to church on a Sunday of your choice...
I'll be praying for you 5K, hopefully you will decide to attend one Sunday regardless of the outcome with your hound.

Mikka

Post by Mikka »

Crow wrote:Lethargy with decreased appetite and activity along with very poor dental condition sounds as if it could be related to renal failure (kidney failure). If they haven't done lab work sounds like they maybe should.
Give this man 10 bucks! Often, bacterial infections starts with bad teeth/gums and make its way through the blood stream to infect the internal organs. When it is at that stage, only miracles save them. The animals will become lethargic but will try to the eat right up to the last days; that is survival to its best. I am no vet, but I have seen this happen in my home and now pay real attention to my dogs' teeth and feed them lots of soup bones to help with their teeth's hygiene,

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Open his mouth and smell his breath.If it smells like decaying rotting flesh its kidney failure.If you ever smelled ones breath that was dieing from kidney failure you'll never forget it.Two weeks is the longest I've ever seen one last that had it.Hope it's something else.Good luck.