beagle shot

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bunnybuster88

Re: beagle shot

Post by bunnybuster88 »

who wants to chip in some gas money so these guys can finally meet? Im bettin on the KY boys

Will05

Post by Will05 »

Ill be glad to chip in. I thought this forum was so people who enjoyed the sounds of beagles could be surrounded by like minded people. Guess im on the wrong forum just meet up and settle this already
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Different topic, so here goes. Bunnybuster88, seems like you like to keep things going yourself. If anyone wants to know why this 25 year old is mad at me look back to October at a thread titled " Big Nose" . it will show you all you need to know about Bunny's hound knowledge, I guess he is still sore at me for educating him. Pay particular attention to the little pearl of wisdom he puts forth about a weak scent being a cold or old trail and a strong smell being a hot trail. ( he has quite a few little pearls like that) I don't think he knows enough to be embarrassed at his lack of knowledge. But at any rate that is why he is taking a CHEAP shot at me this morning., wants to look " big" . I sure hope he is not trying to start something, but from what he has said I think he is! Oh, yea, Bunny just send that gas money of yours to GW Young In Beverly, west Virginia, I will handle it from there. Oh, wait you are not going to be sending any, just wanted to start something I thought so!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I don't condone shooting anyones hunting dog.I feel differently about these feral dogs that folks have dumped out in the country and are just roaming around homeless.
As far as the dogs"running off" the deer in an area that is completely false and I would say any dog man that has run hounds for years know that it's not true.I ran coondogs and big game hounds for 21 years and have been running the beagles for most of my life [I'm now 63 ].
As long as the hounds are NOT running the deer then it's been my experience that the deer don't care a whole lot about them.I can relate literally hundreds of stories to prove that.
I've stood at a tree with several big hounds telling the world that they've got one up with several of us shining the tree and talking back and forth and turned my light around and seen 5 deer standing there watching us 50 yards away.
I can't begin to tell you how often I've been running in big wide open grass fields and had a rabbit going round and round for an hour or more.Then the dogs finally lose it and I walk towards them and several deer jump up and bound off.They were laying there bedded down ALL THAT TIME!! Just yesterday I opened the dog box and let 4 hounds out and looked up and saw a buck and three does watching me.They bounded off out of sight and the beagles went to hunting.They soon jumped a rabbit and had a good run going.During that run I saw those deer several more times in that one area-----they didn't go anywhere.Just moved off a little from where the dogs were pounding.Had the same experience in Mississippi when hunting swampers.We hunted all morning in one swamp and saw numerous deer all the time we were hunting and shooting.
I used to cat hunt in New Hampshire and Vermont during the winter.Many times we would have a cat going and the cat would [ I believe intentionaly ] run through a deer yard and when the hounds came through the deer would scatter.An hour later you could pass that same yard and the deer would all be right back there.
Last year fairly close to the house I had two beagles pounding a rabbit for about 45 minutes when I shot it.I walked over to pick it up and a big buck bounded up out of the thicket not 20 yards from me.He'd been bedded in there the whole time and didn't move for the running dogs until I almost stepped on him!! I could go on and on with stories like that so I absolutely don't believe that running dogs in an area "runs off " the deer.Yes, they may move off from the activity some but they DON'T just leave where they live.
I'm sure many of you know of occasions where more than one deer has been shot from the same stand in the same morning even with a gut pile laying right there on the ground!
I grew up hunting everything huntable but for the past ten years or so I've only hunted rabbits.Never did much care for sitting in a stand for hours and hours.If I couldn't hunt it with a dog I didn't have much interest.I think it's a real shame that our Game Depts.put so little emphasis on the small game hunters.In the north it was all deer,turkey and trout.Here in the south it's deer,turkey and bass.I know,it's all about the money.But I'd venture to say that although the deer hunters hit it hard for a month or so you'll find that most dog men are actively involved with their sport year round and put more time in the woods.
I have always run my hounds year round.Yes,even during the gun season on deer.But you have to use your head.I don't go on the weekends and I'll wait until mid day to turn out.I won't turn out in places where I see pick-ups parked and KNOW they are deer hunting.I run on places where deer hunting is not allowed.I run at night some.I too feel that I as a rabbit hunter have just as much RIGHT to be out there pursuing my love of rabbit hunting/beagling as any deer hunter!Deer hunting is NOT more important than rabbit hunting.At least not to some of us that don't pursue it.
I had a hunting dog shot many years ago and I knew without doubt who did it but he didn't know that I knew.He was a dangerous man so I had to be careful .I ran into him one day at a local store and we got to talking and I started talking about hunting dogs getting shot and how I thought any body who would do that was a low life@#$%&* and he just kind of smilled and said" yea man,they sure are".Now this guy called himself a bigtime deer hunter.
It was several years later that I happened to be WAY back in the mountains on an old logging road miles from anywhere looking for bear sign and I came across his pick-up.I figured he was deer hunting an old apple orchard up on the side of the mountain.This was long before cell phones so let's just say he had a very long and dark walk out of the woods that night!!!!!!!!!!
Did I feel better? Well,ya I did!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Will05 wrote:Ill be glad to chip in. I thought this forum was so people who enjoyed the sounds of beagles could be surrounded by like minded people. Guess im on the wrong forum just meet up and settle this already
Will, it used to be, but some people cant take criticism or other peoples opinions like a grown up. Then when something is said by someone and others get huffy the thread is locked or are told by a moderator to be quiet or lose their board priviledges. Look at Just Talkin Dawgs, the top threads are about Deer being shot (non beagle discussion related), About a football team (also non beagle related) How the Excitement Level of this board is null and void anymore, (since BBB, Chappy and others have been banned), and when the excitement level goes up (a actual beagle discussion) when someone indicates they may also shoot a dog over ruining a deer hunt, all of a sudden a truckload of Kentucky boys wanna go after GW for pointing out the obvious. A board about just talking about beagles, without opinions being able to be discussed, is a BORING board, in my opinion. You can only say so much about a drooling dog, dog feed, feeding raw feed, and brushing a dogs teeth for so long. Of course this is all just MY opinion.

GW, maybe we should discuss again how all the hawks and owls are responsible for the rabbit populations being depleted? Of course me believing that being the reason and you dont, for all those who missed it.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

D.Gross

Post by D.Gross »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:I don't condone shooting anyones hunting dog.I feel differently about these feral dogs that folks have dumped out in the country and are just roaming around homeless.
As far as the dogs"running off" the deer in an area that is completely false and I would say any dog man that has run hounds for years know that it's not true.I ran coondogs and big game hounds for 21 years and have been running the beagles for most of my life [I'm now 63 ].
As long as the hounds are NOT running the deer then it's been my experience that the deer don't care a whole lot about them.I can relate literally hundreds of stories to prove that.
I've stood at a tree with several big hounds telling the world that they've got one up with several of us shining the tree and talking back and forth and turned my light around and seen 5 deer standing there watching us 50 yards away.
I can't begin to tell you how often I've been running in big wide open grass fields and had a rabbit going round and round for an hour or more.Then the dogs finally lose it and I walk towards them and several deer jump up and bound off.They were laying there bedded down ALL THAT TIME!! Just yesterday I opened the dog box and let 4 hounds out and looked up and saw a buck and three does watching me.They bounded off out of sight and the beagles went to hunting.They soon jumped a rabbit and had a good run going.During that run I saw those deer several more times in that one area-----they didn't go anywhere.Just moved off a little from where the dogs were pounding.Had the same experience in Mississippi when hunting swampers.We hunted all morning in one swamp and saw numerous deer all the time we were hunting and shooting.
I used to cat hunt in New Hampshire and Vermont during the winter.Many times we would have a cat going and the cat would [ I believe intentionaly ] run through a deer yard and when the hounds came through the deer would scatter.An hour later you could pass that same yard and the deer would all be right back there.
Last year fairly close to the house I had two beagles pounding a rabbit for about 45 minutes when I shot it.I walked over to pick it up and a big buck bounded up out of the thicket not 20 yards from me.He'd been bedded in there the whole time and didn't move for the running dogs until I almost stepped on him!! I could go on and on with stories like that so I absolutely don't believe that running dogs in an area "runs off " the deer.Yes, they may move off from the activity some but they DON'T just leave where they live.
I'm sure many of you know of occasions where more than one deer has been shot from the same stand in the same morning even with a gut pile laying right there on the ground!
I grew up hunting everything huntable but for the past ten years or so I've only hunted rabbits.Never did much care for sitting in a stand for hours and hours.If I couldn't hunt it with a dog I didn't have much interest.I think it's a real shame that our Game Depts.put so little emphasis on the small game hunters.In the north it was all deer,turkey and trout.Here in the south it's deer,turkey and bass.I know,it's all about the money.But I'd venture to say that although the deer hunters hit it hard for a month or so you'll find that most dog men are actively involved with their sport year round and put more time in the woods.
I have always run my hounds year round.Yes,even during the gun season on deer.But you have to use your head.I don't go on the weekends and I'll wait until mid day to turn out.I won't turn out in places where I see pick-ups parked and KNOW they are deer hunting.I run on places where deer hunting is not allowed.I run at night some.I too feel that I as a rabbit hunter have just as much RIGHT to be out there pursuing my love of rabbit hunting/beagling as any deer hunter!Deer hunting is NOT more important than rabbit hunting.At least not to some of us that don't pursue it.
I had a hunting dog shot many years ago and I knew without doubt who did it but he didn't know that I knew.He was a dangerous man so I had to be careful .I ran into him one day at a local store and we got to talking and I started talking about hunting dogs getting shot and how I thought any body who would do that was a low life@#$%&* and he just kind of smilled and said" yea man,they sure are".Now this guy called himself a bigtime deer hunter.
It was several years later that I happened to be WAY back in the mountains on an old logging road miles from anywhere looking for bear sign and I came across his pick-up.I figured he was deer hunting an old apple orchard up on the side of the mountain.This was long before cell phones so let's just say he had a very long and dark walk out of the woods that night!!!!!!!!!!
Did I feel better? Well,ya I did!
Shady Grove, well said, in my opinion.
Just yesterday talking to a fellow Beagler at F&W Area in NW Indiana about deer seasons and running beagles. Indiana introduced a Bonus Antlerless Season and this year this State Property is included for the first time. Bow season runs nearly all of hunting season and now we have Shotgun season, Nov.16 - Dec 1., Muzzle season, Dec.7 - Dec. 22., Special Antlerless Season, Dec. 26 - Jan. 5. A total of 41 days of gunning for deer. Rabbit season ends Jan. 31st. So when can I hunt rabbits? I hunt during gun season, carefully!!!! Weekdays only. If a parking lot has a vehicle in it I find one that is empty. I've talked to a number of deer hunters about running beagles. Most experienced hunters encourage me to run as they feel it helps to some what move deer.
The fellow beagler I was speaking with said he hunted a big field that day. Had 3 dogs down and hunted for 4 hours. As he was walking back to truck he jumped 3 deer in different areas of same field he'd hunted. Sound familiar??

It's a real juggling act for sure. Indiana's problem like many, not a whole lot of public land to go around. Indiana is an agricultural state and that's where the money is! Trying to keep farmers, insurance companies and hunters all happy is not easy. Deer hunters in Indiana are really unhappy as the deer population has been down the last couple of season. Auto's, coyotes and hunters=== good luck.
Talked to coyote hunters last year that hunt with dogs. They found 2 dens. One had 11 fawn carcasses around den and the other had 27!!!! Do you think they kill deer? And this year, FINALLY, our rabbit population is GOOD! With Hawks, coyotes, ferral cats, etc. Go figure.
But shoot a dog!!!! shame, shame!!
Teach

bodetis

Post by bodetis »

likeemfast wrote:
Will05 wrote:Ill be glad to chip in. I thought this forum was so people who enjoyed the sounds of beagles could be surrounded by like minded people. Guess im on the wrong forum just meet up and settle this already
Will, it used to be, but some people cant take criticism or other peoples opinions like a grown up. Then when something is said by someone and others get huffy the thread is locked or are told by a moderator to be quiet or lose their board priviledges. Look at Just Talkin Dawgs, the top threads are about Deer being shot (non beagle discussion related), About a football team (also non beagle related) How the Excitement Level of this board is null and void anymore, (since BBB, Chappy and others have been banned), and when the excitement level goes up (a actual beagle discussion) when someone indicates they may also shoot a dog over ruining a deer hunt, all of a sudden a truckload of Kentucky boys wanna go after GW for pointing out the obvious. A board about just talking about beagles, without opinions being able to be discussed, is a BORING board, in my opinion. You can only say so much about a drooling dog, dog feed, feeding raw feed, and brushing a dogs teeth for so long. Of course this is all just MY opinion.

GW, maybe we should discuss again how all the hawks and owls are responsible for the rabbit populations being depleted? Of course me believing that being the reason and you dont, for all those who missed it.
...................................................................................................................................................dont mind opinions or maybe a little criticism, its when someone trys a smear compaign over somethen said that was taken out of context. understanding me saying ''not that i would or wouldnt '' could lead one to believe i would shoot a rabbit hound like the kid did, that was honestly not what i was trying to say at all. i wish i had clarified more . iv wanted to shoot strays before, that do blow my hunts when im bow hunting,i do appreciate the stories about deer never paying any attention to roaming dogs, but for me when iv just about had one in bow range, all of a sudden a white tail is waiveing at me and i look up to see a stray coming through, it aggravates me. thats why i said i understand why someone would while deer hunting but not meaning it to be a rabbit hound, i mean seriously i own rabbit dogs myself. but realistically there are people that will shoot one thats why i stay out when modern gun is in but given our short season its not a problem for us in zone 3. like shady wrote about feral dogs, to me somethen does need to be done about them though. and neither of us mentioned anything about loaden up in a truck and going after him, i was just hopen he trialed and would be in this area at some point.

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

One time at a field trial we pushed a buck to an archery hunter in a tree stand. He shot it directly under his stand and thanked us. Another time at a trial an archery hunter drew his bow and pointed it at the cast members. So dogs aren't the only ones in danger from idiots.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

cris axtell/coal hill ken wrote:One time at a field trial we pushed a buck to an archery hunter in a tree stand. He shot it directly under his stand and thanked us. Another time at a trial an archery hunter drew his bow and pointed it at the cast members. So dogs aren't the only ones in danger from idiots.
I believe I would have waited at the bottom of that tree for him to come down!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

They should have call 911. That's no different then pointing a gun at someone. At a trial in southern Ohio a guy shot at our cast three times with a hi power rifle. We did call 911. We figured he was protecting his cash crop.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

TnHoss

Post by TnHoss »

Had my running buddy get his best female shot day before yesterday and we are on a 4,000 acre private lease, we don't know if it was someone who wasn't supposed to be there or someone actually on the lease but we are both pretty upset about it.
Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

Boys sound to me like you all half to learn the hard way. Keep you're beagles up during gun season!! This would not happen as much.. Yes it sucks I had rather run rabbits then eat! I thank gun season for deer should be banned any ways because of all the nuts that go out in to the woods. I tag out every year with my bow don't see any reason why every one can't just bow hunt.. I still bet they would be some nut job shot a mans hunting dog with a arrow..

AprilD

Post by AprilD »

Unfortunately here in PA, we have just as big a problem with bow hunters shooting beagles than gun hunters. Almost more. It is very aggravating. Bow comes in Sept 21, then you have the rest of deer till Jan 25th. Oh and dont forget trapping season till somewhere in late Feb... I heard of a few dogs killed by illegal snares and conibears last year.
April D
Grantville, PA

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

That's awful looks like a man hunting would respect anther mans hunting dog.

In PA we are not permitted to run dogs in deer gun season. were we got shot at was in Ohio in the late spring.