Terrible feeding time discovery

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

yoteslayer

Terrible feeding time discovery

Post by yoteslayer »

Last night I went to feed my dogs, which includes four 16 week old pups. I fed them first, all were eating and seemed fine, then fed the other adult dogs. I came back to shut off lights and noticed blood around one of the pups legs. As I bent down to pick him up I noticed what looked like intestines hanging from his belly. I picked him up and flipped him over to find his penis had been torn out and was hanging out about 4" and bleeding. I called the vet thinking there was going to be nothing they could do, I live only a mile from my vet, she said to bring him over. After about 15 minutes of trying to slide it back in, she said to leave him over night and that she was going to have to do surgery to put him back together. After sedating him she was able to put it back in with no incision. She called me back and had me come back and get him last night. She told me that as long as he could pee he would be fine. I kept him inside last night and woke up to two puddles on the bathroom floor, first and only time I was glad to see pee on the floor in the house!!!

On a good note I had one pup and the bitch get out and ran all night together, a neighbor a mile away said she heard all kinds of barking and howling at 11oclock when she got home from work, Im not sure if the pup was barking or not but he ran with her all night. Im hoping she taught him a thing or two last night!!!

johns03272008

Re: Terrible feeding time discovery

Post by johns03272008 »

That's good news!!! Glad pup is ok!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

interesting
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

KyBeagleGuy09

Post by KyBeagleGuy09 »

i got to ask how did that happen

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

I have no idea how it happened, he was out of his dog box running around inside the garage, maybe snagged it while jumping out of his box, maybe fighting with his littermates? Im really not sure. The skin wasn't cut or torn in anyway. It was a very strange thing to see, even the vet was impressed. I have been checking on him a lot and if you didn't know something had happened there is no way to tell now. he is on antibiotics for a few days and should be just fine. My vet called today to check on him, which impressed me, and had me stop and get some more antibiotics. I was concerned about what the bill was going to be after an evening call, a stich, and she had to put him under to do the procedure along with an injected antibiotic and 16 pills. I got the bill when I went to pick up the pills, $72!!!!! I was very pleased and I got great and timely service. Kim ,the vet, just purchased the clinic about 8 months ago and has been great to deal with. I hope they stick around for many years to come!!!

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

I know of some cases where the male died from this. This will sound crazy but I had a young male that got his knot out once and couldn't get it back in. I took him to a young female vet and she said she had one cure that works most of the time without doing surgery. She had me hold his legs and keep him flat of his back. She came in and had a 5 lb. bag of sugar with her. She held her hand under the penis and poured all the sugar she could get all over it and she clamped her hand around it and the sugar. She said we would have to wait like that for 15 min. and if it didn't work then she would have to do surgery to save him. I could not believe what I was watching but I didn't have any idea how to get it back in. The 15 min. passed and she took a towel and wiped the penis clean of the sugar and she reached down and slid the sheath right back over it like it was supposed to be. I have done this since then and it has worked every time.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Bobby Vest wrote:I know of some cases where the male died from this. This will sound crazy but I had a young male that got his knot out once and couldn't get it back in. I took him to a young female vet and she said she had one cure that works most of the time without doing surgery. She had me hold his legs and keep him flat of his back. She came in and had a 5 lb. bag of sugar with her. She held her hand under the penis and poured all the sugar she could get all over it and she clamped her hand around it and the sugar. She said we would have to wait like that for 15 min. and if it didn't work then she would have to do surgery to save him. I could not believe what I was watching but I didn't have any idea how to get it back in. The 15 min. passed and she took a towel and wiped the penis clean of the sugar and she reached down and slid the sheath right back over it like it was supposed to be. I have done this since then and it has worked every time.

Well it didnt work on me the time ya tried it. Never give me another blue pill again bobby vest, even though i did enjoy the treatment you rendered. Wish i knew how to post pics, sure the boys would like that one. Huh uncle bobby? ;)
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

yote, If you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all!!! :( :(
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Tell me about it rabbit chaser, always seems to be something!!! He seems to be fine now, I was just out and gave him his meds and he is just as crazy as the rest of them!!!

intrepid

Post by intrepid »

72 bucks can't beat that. I can't walk into my vet office around here,without losing atleast a hundred.

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Yeah I was shocked Dan, I have to say they do a great job!! GG has been pounding on the rabbits around here, I can't wait til we get a little snow to run on, im excited to see her go on the snow. Im not sure how much time im going to have to run this winter, little one is due to arrive December 8th, but I am going to take advantage any time I can!!

intrepid

Post by intrepid »

Congrats Ryan i didn't know you guys were expecting.

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Thanks Dan!!!

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I have this happened to one of my young male once. He loves humping new dogs in the kennel with him. One time, I noticed his penis was hanging down and was all dried up. I put Vaseline on it and roll it back inside. Gave him a shot of pinincillin every 3-5 days, a pill of amoxicillin every day for 14 days, and apply Vaseline and push the penis back everyday. After 2 wks, he was back normal.

Sao
Minnesota Beagler

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Looks like im going to have to do that too, I see the stich the vet put in has come out, and it was hanging out just a little bit today, I pushed it back in. I will have to check it again in the morning.