Dog's pad fell off

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

AV Spencer

Dog's pad fell off

Post by AV Spencer »

My 10 year male got his back left foot caught in the fence. The barbed wire rolled down and twisted with the top wire. I could not find him for about 10 hours. He was alive. His foot was swollen. I got him antibiotics from the vet.
Once the swelling went down his pad hung on for a few days. It really started to rot away. The entire pad is gone now. The vet said his foot is dead from lack of circulation. The top side doesn't look that bad. He carries it all the time. The bottom side looks pretty raw. Again the vet said the skin will peel pack and bone will be exposed. He continued to say the dog would likely chew his foot off.

Has anyone had anything like this? I don't want to amputate. The vet said that was really my only option. The dog eats and drinks. He is on pain medication and antibiotics. He doesn't act like it is causing terrible pain. Although the vet said he was, i just am unsure of what to do. I raised this dog from the litter and have killed near 1000 rabbits with him. We have traveled the midwest trialing and he is my ole buddy.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, AV Spencer
Run for Fun

chris83

Re: Dog's pad fell off

Post by chris83 »

Hate hearing that Adam, wish I had some advice to offer. Hope ole Bach gets better.
lprc Harlow's To Small Jax's
lprc Harlow's Attila The Honey

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Adam go get another vet opinion and then see what the options are!!! I hope ol Bach gets better soon, we have our annual hunt coming up and would like to continue seeing him doing his thing!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Walnut Ridge Farms

Post by Walnut Ridge Farms »

Adam, that is terrible news. I agree, second opinion would help making a decision. Wish you the best of luck...
LPGRRCH/LPGRBCH Walnut Ridge Farms Gypsy
LPGRRCH Thunderview Cash or Check
LPRCH/LPGRBCH Walnut Ridge Farms Becky
LPRCH/LPBCH Walnut Ridge Farms Little Eve
LPRCH's Walnut Ridge Farms Cash Flo

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

take his leg :( :( the infection can get in his blood and he will most likely die... just read this right out my vet book.....

it is really your olny option sorry to hear this.... to take a leg is very costly too sorry to hear this man

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Had a Holstein calf this happened to, leg never did heal, didn't mind because I was going to butcher him anyways. I would amputate if he is worth that much money to you if not....
Sorry,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

bigjohn

Post by bigjohn »

I agree with the above. Allowing it to continue in the state it's in now could jeopardize the dogs life.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

he'll get along just fine with just one back leg. if it were a front one that would be trouble.

bmgreen91

Post by bmgreen91 »

I had the same hing happen. Dog got his leg twisted up in a tarp. Long story short the leg swelled up as I gave him antibiotics. The swelling went down and the vet said his leg was dead and we needed to amputate. Long story surgery was scheduled for 2 days later, but the dog chewed it off that night. Yes it does sound like the vet is 100% right, my dog was in no pain due to the leg being dead. My vet charged me $375 dollars and let me tell you that dog gets around like nothing ever happend, he even hunts!
Brian Green

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

my wife had a cocker spaniel years ago that in the winter time got the snow matted up around its paws and the fur wrapped up tight on its front foot. ended up doing the same thing as u described and falling off. Only problem it turned green and got infected. vet cut the foot off but it was too late.

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

I had to amputate a foot on a coyote hound, never phased her, she would run and hunt with the other hounds. Get it removed and im about 80% sure he will still hunt for you, may be a touch slower but if hes that important to you, I would get it done sooner then later. Good luck!