UP Micigan Hare populations

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

reddog1

Re: UP Micigan Hare populations

Post by reddog1 »

Chappy, I don't know where you got your information from but you are wrong about no wolves on Drummond. There is a pack that roams the Island and yes they do kill dogs. You don't hear a lot about it because the Islanders take care of things without help from outside sources.
This year will be my 46th October on the Island and in those 46 years I have seen a lot of things that didn't get reported to anyone. ;)

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

well if it so bad on the island why do you guys go there.... less chance of your dog getting eaten... i am going up next month for a week.. i hope all goes well... i tell you this i split my best dogs up so if we do have bad luck i dont lose them all

DEA

Post by DEA »

I have been on the island every other weekend for the last 2.5 months dont kid yourself about no wolves on the island. Hare population is decent but so is the wolf population. And the more the rabbits move to the low areas the more wolf problems there will be. Now this is just my opinion take it for what it is worth, be careful where and when u run.

Shoot Straight
DEA

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Well you can't spend your life worrying about what might happen. Hell you might as well live in a closet if you're going to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love my hounds and I wouldn't want anything to happen to them.
I know where the wolves hang out and I don't turn loose by where they are.

I really don't think that you should be telling people that there are no wolves on the Island without knowing the facts.

But that's just my opinion.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

facts are i was told by a bear/coyote hunter that lives on the island that they have ran and taken care of the packs.. there is olny a stray hear and there that they keep them from packing up. this is what a old man told me so unless you have seen a wolf on the island this year..

you might not want to speculate on who or what i no.. :eyes:

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

chapkosbeagles wrote:facts are i was told by a bear/coyote hunter that lives on the island that they have ran and taken care of the packs.. there is olny a stray hear and there that they keep them from packing up. this is what a old man told me so unless you have seen a wolf on the island this year..
Maybe you should read Dennis' post.
chapkosbeagles wrote: you might not want to speculate on who or what i no.. :eyes:
Sorry, but you have left very little doubt on what you know or the lack there of.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

:lol: :lol: :cool:

i know one thing the first of the month i am going to be on drummond for a 10 days with 5 of my buddys and we gona shoot some hare....

i no one more thing if my dogs cant get it done i can.... chappy = dead hare.. :lol: :dance:

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Knowing something that a is fact and hearsay are 2 entirely different things.
Fact is I have been to the Island this year, several times and yes I have seen a wolf it was the second week of July. Have you been there and seen a wolf?

I have also seen a Lynx and a Cougar on the Island.

I don't have to speculate on what you know, I figured that out the very first time you ever posted on this forum.

See Ya on the Island.

triple pines

Post by triple pines »

A group in the cabin next to us left 4 days earlier than they planned on leaving last year because they saw a wolf on the island. Someother guys said they saw wolf crap. I noticed the hare were down last year.

mike crabtree

Post by mike crabtree »

No doubt there are Wolf in the UP. Myself and Hounddog saw 3 after breakfast one morning. The biggest one was about the size of a Great Pyrenese maybe a little taller. They cut and ran as soon as we gslowed the truck down. We had already ran in that spot . We didnt have the running we normally have in there either.
-
Do the Wolves catch many Hare ?
Wanna run Dogs? U R Invited.
276 620 1572

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I'm sure they do. When SR Patch, Budd Glyshaw, and myself were looking for his Bubblegum dog, we had an encounter with a Lynx. Their main diet us Hare. We never did find the dog and personally I think the Wolves got her.

Oh I forgot there are no wolves on Drummond. :roll:

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

i hope to see you up there...just wondering if you and your dogs will ever make it back.....

cats and wolves that is ;)

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

That sounds like a threat to me.
So let me tell you one more fact about the Island.

It takes an hour for the State police or Sheriff to get to the Island so I would hate to see a poor dumbass city boy get lost so far in the Cedar swamp that they only find human Dna in wolf scat.

You are messin whith the wrong guy chappy.

TallPaul

Post by TallPaul »

I thought that this post was about hare populations. But if we're going to change it to wolf populations, so be it.
Here some good reading
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... p?t=479719

I find it very interesting on so many experts, that don't live with them. The above wolf is part of a pack west of me, that is responsible for killing ( I believe ) 4 dogs, on different occasions. All were in their yards, some let to roam free in the yard, one was in an enclosure. Individuals from this pack have been through the edge of town, down my street, behind neighbor houses.

I talked with a friend, her husband saw 2 in a yard early in the morning in Wakefield (near WI line), they let him stop and take pictures.

Anytime you run up here, anywhere, you're rolling the dice, no matter the "Tactics" you use. You are not going to prevent a wolf taking your beagle anywhere in it's run. Not on the run that takes your hound 1/4 mile out or even 60 yards from you.

Family friends of ours had wolves coming right into the barn yard, and nabbing goats, sometimes with the wife in pursuit.

I agree, if you're running, run 'small' spots (only thing small in the UP is the towns)

Hare pops. I'm not sure, I would imagine it's about average. From what I saw late last winter, there were plenty of breeding stock. But we did have a rainy cool spring and summer. Which isn't good for young hare, found a few at the club dead from exposure.

Good luck
Beagling is not a science, just an opinion!

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

wolves and cats are for the most part scared of us people we are at the top of the food chain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what a fool