Beagle Starting Methods

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitatfarm

Beagle Starting Methods

Post by rabbitatfarm »

There are almost as many starting methods as beagle owners. Some guys start running pups with an older dog. Others use a starting pen. I started taking my pups out at eight weeks, sort of an introduction to the habitat. We went through thickets, grass fields, crops, briars, kicked brush piles, etc. As they got older, I used a rabbit in a wire cage to get them excited and then released the rabbit. I also dragged a road kill and let them follow it. They were barking track at 13 weeks. What methods do you use?
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Will05

Re: Beagle Starting Methods

Post by Will05 »

I started my pups by letting them sight chase in a pen at my house and bark at caged rabbits. I tried to get them out in the wild 3-4 days per week to smell wild rabbits and just get to know the outside world. This seemed to work for them as they are progressing well they are just 5 1/2 months old and will jump and run a rabbit. They have breakdowns and lose alot but they get better every week. The only thing i wish i would have done sooner is get them out with older/other dogs because now i am having trouble getting them to honor or pack with other dogs. They just refuse to do it at this point. I assume this will change as they get older and more experienced but whenever i get another pup i will make sure to start them with other dogs much sooner. In the past i have used older dogs to train and never had a problem like this so lesson learned i also think the learning curve in most cases is shortened by using older dogs. They learn the tricks that rabbits use to escape much quicker. I will say that doing it the way i have done it with these pups is much more rewarding as they are learning from me and not another dog so when they have a good run it brings a huge smile to my face :D
Wsullivan777@gmail.com
Home of :
Sullivan's Sadie MaePatch
Sullivan's MollyPatch

Rabbitridgerunner

Post by Rabbitridgerunner »

Will05,

Packing will come. Mine started the same way and now pack to each other pretty as you please.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

From the time my pups are 7-8 weeks old I start taking them for walks in the woods and fields.I purposely cross creeks,spend some of the time with them on leash,go off and try and hide from the pup and let them then find me and if I see a rabbit will walk them over the track and encourage them and watch what they do.I carry some treats with me and will call/whistle them back to me from time to time and reward them.I also take them for lots of rides in the truck both in the dog box and up on the front seat with me.I encourage my grand kids and others that come to the kennel to handle/play and speak to the pups to get them well socialized to strangers.I periodically will go off a short ways from the kennel and do some target practice with a .22.They are in their own safe environement and after a couple of times they could care less and have no reaction to the gunfire.
My kennel runs are surrounded by a fenced area and all my dogs are turned out here during the day and the pups quickly become members of the pack and are bonded to the grown dogs.
Depending on the pup's physical developement at around 6 months I will start taking them to the field with my 8 year old female.She is dead broke and will open on nothing but rabbit.She handles well,hunts thouroughly and steady.She stays on line and keeps close on her checks.She still has good foot but is not as fast as she once was or as hard hitting as the others in the kennel.
In the past 40 years I have not had one pup raised this way that did not come off the tailgate and go with that older kennel mate! Now,the first few times they may not stay with that dog all the time and do come back in and check with me but then usually want to go back with the other dog.Some have started to open that first time in the woods on their own rabbit or when the older dog jumps a rabbit. Others have taken multiple trips to fall in and start opening.But most of them will go and stay out all the time that we are hunting.
After a half dozen trips where the pup is definetly working and opening on scent I'll start taking them by themselves.Once they are hunting out ,finding and jumping their own rabbit and putting a circle on it I'll start taking them with the pack and the rest is usually history as they make progress and develope.I still will take them and run solo from time to time.
I know I probably differ from a lot of guys but I don't really put a whole lot of stock in starting pens.I think they often can do more harm to a pup's developement than to get him running a rabbit the way I want then helping him.If the person starting the pup is concientious,stays with the pups and the pen is BIG and he knows what he's seeing then maybe okay.But a lot of these are situations where multiple pups are just dumped in an enclosure and left to their own and this in my opinion is not a good way to do it.
As far as useing San Juans or other types of tame rabbits I think it is a wastse of time.I had a 5 acre starting pen and put San Juans and Knotheads in it and gave them a month or so to get acclimated.I put 14 week old pups in there and in short order the pups were catching and killing those rabbits as quick as they could find them.Dometistic rabbits have way more scent than a wild rabbit,tend to run barely in front of the pup [thus a lot of sight chases ] and have no stamina.I don't believe this does much for your pup's overall developement except maybe to show you he's gamey.I don't believe there is any substitute for starting on WILD rabbits!
I truely don't believe that a pup that starts at 12 or 16 weeks old turns out any better than one that isn't started until they are 8 months old.JMHO of course.
Everybody has their own opinions but starting them this way has given me gundogs that usually give me no trouble on off-game, hunt for and jump their own game,will handle for me or other hunters in the field and make well rounded hunting companions that are a joy to have.
Good luck with your pups.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

One of the best things I ever did with a litter of pups is soon after they were weened their pen was close to my upstairs window so I took dog food 1 piece at a time and threw it in from the top. You find out pretty quick which ones use their noses, which ones use their brains, and which ones use their ears or eyes to find food. When I started them, each one followed suit! The runt used his nose, brains, and eyes to find pieces of food, ended up turning out the best.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

At 2-3 months of age I let the pup out of its kennel at feeding time while I feed the older dogs. I just let the pup explore and then put it back in its kennel. After a few times of this I will call the pup over to me while it is running around, just to let it learn its name and also to come when called. At 5-51/2 months I trap a few rabbits and let the rabbit go in front of the pup in the yard a few times. At around the same time ill kennel the pup with and older female and let the pup bond with the older dog. A week or so later ill take the pup out running with the older dog and they usually start after a couple of outings. I never fire a gun over them intel they are hot on a rabbit and I usually kill that rabbit the first time I shoot over them. honestly it is really in there blood line wether thy start early of late. I have some mainly the speedy sport and rangerdan stuff that I never even get to show them a rabbit. When I let them out of the kennel to explore they start on there own on rabbits around my home......some lines don't mature enough to start early. They are breed with the tools nothing you do will make them start quicker if they are not ready......dh

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

If you don't have rabbits around, take them to a reputable pen. If you got rabbits by all means start them yourself. That's the difference between using a starting pen or starting them yourself. My pens are about helping you, not about money.
Thanks,
Bob

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

"If you don't have rabbits around, take them to a reputable pen. If you got rabbits by all means start them yourself. That's the difference between using a starting pen or starting them yourself. My pens are about helping you, not about money."

I totally agree with Bob. In the past, I used to wait until 6-9 months to start pups. I noticed it is harder to start them when they are older. I have raised 3 litters of pups in the starting pen and noticed a huge difference in starting pups. I like to start my pups early and naturally. They live and grow in the starting pen until they started. I have had pups running and circling rabbit as young as 12wks old. Once they started, they are taken out from the starting pen and put into the running pen. I like to keep it naturally. I bumped into this video couple weeks ago and found it very interesting that we share a lot of common ways in training and starting pups.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKL_FTIeVqs
I hope it helps many of you out after viewing this video.

Sao
Minnesota Beagler

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Good Vidio that can use some for beagles as well. If I come across a road kill rabbit or a rabbit that is shot to bad to eat you can freeze it to use as a chase for young pups. It is a game for young pups that gets the smell in their nose at an early age. Sometimes I'll let them knaw on it for a while.
Thanks,
Bob