Pups fighting

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

yoteslayer

Pups fighting

Post by yoteslayer »

I had a litter pups of 7 pups on June 24th, about a week ago my wife said she had to break up a very aggressive fight. I didn't really think anything of it thinking she was overreacting. Last night I had to pull two puppies off of another one that they almost had killed. He was bleeding from his ears, neck, belly and legs. Has anyone ever had a litter of pups fight like this? This is the second time I had to break them up after my wife did a week ago. I swatted them away from the pup and they would come right back and latch on to him and shack their heads. It doesn't seem to be one pup they are picking on and its not the same pups fighting each time. The next time You go out there they are sleeping under the heat lamp together. Ive raised a dozen litters of pups and never seen fighting like this before. Any help is appreciated. Ive been feeding them raw food for about 3 weeks. They are all healthy and energetic. Some of them will be heading to there new homes this weekend.

Also when do you worm and what do you guys use for a new litter? I use the horse wormer in the syringe for the adult dogs, is that safe for pups and how much do you use???

chapkosbeagles

Re: Pups fighting

Post by chapkosbeagles »

i learned raw food for pups makes the grity.. it is probably in the blood but i dont feed raw untill they get a bit older i cook the food for the pupCAUSE THE RAW MEAT MAKES THEM GRITTY :nod:

pcable

Post by pcable »

I would put them on dry puppy food. I'm sure that the raw food will make them a little more aggressive.
As far as the wormer, I use Nemex starting at 2 weeks old and worm every other week until about 12 weeks or until they are big enough for Drontal. The Nemex works great for me. Also, worm the bitch when you worm the pups with the Nemex.
Hope this help. and good luck with your pups.
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

Thanks for the help. I put them on dry food today, hopefully this will tame them down a bit!!!

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

i am not saying it will tame them down cause they already have the taset for blood.. i would wait till they are 3 months old before feeding raw i cook it befor than