Doghouse problems, Need some help please.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rabbitridgerunner

Doghouse problems, Need some help please.

Post by Rabbitridgerunner »

Hello All,

I just finished up my new dog kennel and put my two 6 month old females in it. It's a ten x ten lot on gravel with a nice insulated house in it that I built for them. I set it up off the ground about 2 foot to give them room underneath when it's raining. I put a ramp up to it so they could get in the house, and it's got a porch on the front for my hounds to lay around on. They really seem to like it a lot but there is one problem. They are continually peeing inside their house. It's about 3x4 on the inside and I keep wood shavings in it. It's really strange because I didn't think they would pee where they slept. Anyways, I've tried making their sleeping area smaller but that hasn't worked either. I watched one of my pups go in there last night, smell around, and then squat and pee. It's almost like their marking their spot so to speak. I don't know if they don't like going down their ramp or if the shavings are wicking that moisture away and they dont mind damp shavings. Anyways, I would appreciate any help you all could offer.

Many thanks,
Drew

johns03272008

Re: Doghouse problems, Need some help please.

Post by johns03272008 »

Make it only big enough for them to walk into literally walk in and lay down no more room than the size they are!! I had a problem dog like that before and that stopped the problem. Only other option is to block the entrance of the house off for a couple nights and then open it back up and if they go in and pee immediately tell them no and pull them out and block it off again and repeat process till they learn. Hope this helps
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Yep, too much space.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

begles

Post by begles »

to much space and remove the shavings so if they pee in there it will stay. they wont sleep in there mess. that may stop them from peeing in the box.

Rabbitridgerunner

Post by Rabbitridgerunner »

Thanks men, I will try all that has been listed.

Drew

Panther Creek

Post by Panther Creek »

Ya, you won't need shavings in there this time of year anyway, & being warm it won't hurt to block them out either.
Panther Creek Beagles
Be faithful unto death, and I will give you a crown of life. Rev. 2:10