Whats the dumbest advice/ thing you have seen in the field?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mo. Beagler 5000

Whats the dumbest advice/ thing you have seen in the field?

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

I was talking to a guy the other day about dogs and said he knows a guy who ties his dogs upside down from a tree when they run deer and beats them with a leg and tarsal gland until blood comes out of their face...

Also, in the field, I think I posted it but my nefew was aiming at a rabbit that ran between us his first time hunting and peppered me pretty good. It was winter and nothing pierced my skin.

What is some of your dumb advice you have been given or seen someone do? The sillier the better... :dunce:
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

S.R.Patch

Re: Whats the dumbest advice/ thing you have seen in the fie

Post by S.R.Patch »

I caught a rabbit by hand one time while hunting. It was under some limbs right in front of me, I hollared to by buddy to watch this, figuring it would get away. Well, I dropped down grasping the leaves it hid under and felt movement, I had the rabbit ! I wanted to put it in the starting pen so I ask if he had anything to put it in till we got home since I figured the dogbox was not a good option :lol: , he said he had a dogfood sack that might hold him till we got home, so he got the sack out of the truck and opened it up for me to drop the rabbit in, I told him to close the top fast so it didn't jump out. When I dropped the rabbit in and he closed the top, I saw something run under our feet, when we looked, there went a rabbit running down the railroad bed. he opened the sack to find the bottom had opened up because it had gotten wet and i lost the only rabbit I'd ever caught like that... :(

Another good piece of advice is, never lock you buddies hounds up in a truck that has out of state plates.
we were hunting and my buddy's hounds went missing, he found them in a truck with Ohio plates, locked in the dog box. We took the hinge off the door to get them out. Them fellers don't know how close they come to having to walk back to Ohio but as it turned out, it was a friend that found them and he was hunting with some buddies from Ohio and he put them in the box and they went on hunting. It was all I could do to keep him from leaving them stranded with 4 flat tires.
Later we saw Billy at the beagle club meeting and he ask if we had gotten Jerry's hounds out of the box, I told him they almost had a long walk back to Petersburg. :hammer:
Jake, did Billy ever tell you that story... :lol:

Joshua and Stephanie

Post by Joshua and Stephanie »

we meet a guy at some state land and he had a young hound that was not started and would not go hunting, so my dad offered him a old hound that he had, gave him the old male the guy was so excited. a couple weeks later we ran into the guy asked him how the old dog was doing and he said ... I took them hunting and tied my young dog up to your old male with my two dog coupling since so your old dog could teach my young hound what to do and I never seen them again.. :angryfire: I would have never though that guy would have been so dumb. I told him at least the coyotes did not have to chase them... since they are wraped around a tree somewhere
Home of World Champion WDPCH GRPCH 4 G's Ruby Red
GRHBCH GRPCH SCHAGS HELI PROP CHOP
UP & COMING 4 g's run with swagger .com

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

When I was a teenager, I saved up all summer hauling concrete to buy my first beagle, the backyard breeder had several puppies to choose from, he told me to take the pup with the curly tale. Make a long story short, they wernt full blooded beagles, some type of beagle mix, the dog sucked, but made a good house pet

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

1. Run an 8 wks pregnant female on rabbit so the pups are easier to start.
2. Pick the pup with the "blackest" roof of mouth.
3. The dog climbs out of kennel, so lets put a chain on him in the kennel. :roll:

there are more... but I might get hate mail. lol

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

They have actually done studies on rats that showed there young to have thicker brain cortexes when they were conditioned, "trained", while pregnant. The baby rats showed a thicker brain cortex therefore an advancement on learning earlier in life.

I don't know why that could not apply with a hound of any type, but that is just me. I had also seen an artical with a bird dog breeder referencing this application in the rats and he firmly believed it and felt it improved his pups progression. I really focus on running mine when they are pregnant, can't hurt in my opinion.

Back to the topic, sorry for my blurb, no disrespect intended. Thanks!!

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

1.A man one time said.I want a dog with a big tail hole.They will run a rabbit better.
2.A person that will not turn there dogs out in the wild.I know some.
3.When a hunter makes one reason and another reason and then another reason why there dogs can t circle a rabbit.Lot of them too.
4.Killing any rabbits.No we just love to hear the dogs run.OK.(Will a big shotgun make you hear the dogs better)
5.This breed of dogs is the only ones to have to run a rabbit.
6.I watch a guy one time put his two dogs on a big buck.He kept them on the lease.They open up three times on the big buck that just cross the road.he put them back in the dog box and said.I just wanted to see.They can still do it.scare to tune the dogs out.

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

S.R.Patch wrote:I caught a rabbit by hand one time while hunting. It was under some limbs right in front of me, I hollared to by buddy to watch this, figuring it would get away. Well, I dropped down grasping the leaves it hid under and felt movement, I had the rabbit ! I wanted to put it in the starting pen so I ask if he had anything to put it in till we got home since I figured the dogbox was not a good option :lol: , he said he had a dogfood sack that might hold him till we got home, so he got the sack out of the truck and opened it up for me to drop the rabbit in, I told him to close the top fast so it didn't jump out. When I dropped the rabbit in and he closed the top, I saw something run under our feet, when we looked, there went a rabbit running down the railroad bed. he opened the sack to find the bottom had opened up because it had gotten wet and i lost the only rabbit I'd ever caught like that... :(

Another good piece of advice is, never lock you buddies hounds up in a truck that has out of state plates.
we were hunting and my buddy's hounds went missing, he found them in a truck with Ohio plates, locked in the dog box. We took the hinge off the door to get them out. Them fellers don't know how close they come to having to walk back to Ohio but as it turned out, it was a friend that found them and he was hunting with some buddies from Ohio and he put them in the box and they went on hunting. It was all I could do to keep him from leaving them stranded with 4 flat tires.
Later we saw Billy at the beagle club meeting and he ask if we had gotten Jerry's hounds out of the box, I told him they almost had a long walk back to Petersburg. :hammer:
Jake, did Billy ever tell you that story... :lol:
. I don't he had...But I heard so many he could have.lol.
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME