Charging the front...any advice?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Jbfous01

Charging the front...any advice?

Post by Jbfous01 »

Im new to beagling and need some advice. Ive got a 1 1/2 year old that charges in front of my other dogs when they open up. He's usually barking too with his head up even tho he's not on the trail yet. He causes unnecessary checks by bolting to the front without being on the line. What can i do to break him of this?

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Charging the front...any advice?

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Try hunting him by himself quite a bit.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Newt

Post by Newt »

Cull, or leave him at home.

Combs Beagles

Post by Combs Beagles »

A lot of running, cut down on the built up energy. And I'd say soloing would greatly help....

JCM

Post by JCM »

This sounds to me like a young dog that just needs lots of hours put on him. If after 3 or 4 hours, this isn't a problem, it is probably something that will work itself out with age and hours of running.

Jbfous01

Post by Jbfous01 »

He acts like its a race, I think running him by himself would probably help. Is this something you look for in a trial dog? I only hunt and haven't been to a trial. He goes for the front and usually runs good, but is so excited he over runs the line. Maybe age and running will help him out.

warmule

Post by warmule »

that sounds like a good hound to me keep running him he ll make a dandy :nod:
John 3:16

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Sell him.alot of hunters likes a dog like that.

Leaddog

Post by Leaddog »

I say theres nothing wrong with a hound looking for the front! If your concerned about him blowing it up when he charges ahead then id say run him alone so the only thing between him and the rabbit is.... well you know what im trying to say.

Eva's Beagles

Post by Eva's Beagles »

QUOTING "He goes for the front and usually runs good, but is so excited he over runs the line". Probably meant to say "sometimes" over runs the line. this is one of the biggest problems I see with some beagles these days. Any dog can run fast if it doesn't care about following the line. Some hounds just have to have the front no matter what. They run fairly clean by themselves, but put down another hound and all that changes. I guess it could be a stronger competitive nature than the others. Bottom line is,I go by the basics of Old Kickapoo. Rule # 1) runs all of the line, #2( opens only and always when there is scent that can be PROGRESSED, #3) picks checks quickly, and cleanly, the fewer the better, and #4) goes like hell. If #4 is screwing up the other 3, there is a problem. If the hounds feet are in control of his nose, there is a problem. The nose should always be the controlling factor in every aspect of the running hound. Every condition you encounter in the woods dictates the scenting conditions for that day, and the nose of the hound should dictate the speed at which he or she should run on that particular day. Alone or in a pack, if smooth consistent running is what you want.

Solo time could help it learn that cleaner running that is a touch slower will actually result in faster running ,because of fewer break downs. This depends on the brains of the hound.

A competitive hound that drives for the front, takes it, and controls the pack by running all of the line and making no errors to allow another hound to take the front, is truly an awesome hound to watch. I have seen a couple, unfortunately I didn't own either one.

The slashers and swingers will weed themselves out, by never consistently being where the rabbit is.

Please remember this is only my opinion

Brian Eva
Last edited by Eva's Beagles on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eva's Beagles

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

very good opinion Eva I really like how you put that, nothing wrng with a dog that wants the front as long as he or she can handle it with control

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Brian, As far as him cleaning up his act it is unlikely. As already mentioned he may be a great hound for others. I have saw Videos on here as well as Hounds in person that constantly over-run by fifty yards at every turn and swing and hook and the owners think it is good hound work, love them and continue to feed and breed them, I am not joking that is the truth, so if he doesn't come around instead of culling him you could sell him to some " houndsman" out there.

craigmcm

Post by craigmcm »

Couldn't agree more gwyoung!!! Great post!!!
Craig McMullen
Cut-Em Up Beagles

Dogs
F.C. Flat Top's Haley
M.H. Bear Creek Black Boomer
Fld. Wnr. Timbo's Spunky Monkey
Puppies
Cut-Em Up Alice in Chains
Cut-Em Up Molly Hatchet

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Great post Brian Eva!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I believe a dog that is overcompetitive and is charging the front stems from its genetics, It comes from there breeding and how they are breed. I am a big advocate of soloing young hounds. But I think in this case it may make things worse. Soloing a young dog makes him more independent on running his own line. If you solo a dog that is allready over competitive he gets so used too having the line and rabbit to himself, that when you run him with a pack he tends to want to hog up the line and rabbit even more so. I have done this and made the mistake. Now I solo young dogs only when I think my older dogs are doing too much of the work because of there experiance and age. This makes the young hound like I said more independent. I still believe though that 95% of the way a beagle hunts and runs a rabbit is in there genetics. So before you buy a pup do your homework on the line and more importantantly on the breeder and what kind of dog he likes and runs.....Deerhost
Last edited by deerhost on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.