Average speeds for garmin owners?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Average speeds for garmin owners?

Post by BCBeagles »

I would like to know some average speed for a days running for folks hounds? Overall after a normal good running day would be the ideal situation. Just wanting to compare speeds of hounds, not to argue. Ex. 5 miles running at 2.8 mph, you feel your hounds are medium speed, upper med, fast??

Just for informations sake. Thanks!

fasttrackpa

Re: Average speeds for garmin owners?

Post by fasttrackpa »

I consider my dogs to upper medium speed. Most days we run 3-4 hours and the average speed on a good scenting day is somewhere between 3 and 4 mph. If scenting is bad they average about 2.75. I have seen a few days recently with very good scenting and good running rabbits that we were over 4.5 for a few hours. That is an exception for my hounds.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

My hound runs a pretty consistent 4.6 average speed on a track. As soon as she gets on a rabbit, I start a new hunt on the garmin so I can get as accurate of a speed as possible. In bad scenting conditions, she's anywhere from a 3.8 to 4.2. I usually only have time to run her for a couple of hours at a time, so I'm not sure how fast she'd be if I had the opportunity to hunt her all day. I'm pretty new to this, so I haven't seen too many other hounds run, so based on what I've seen, I'll call her a med-med/fast.
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Thanks for the information. Keep it coming, just interested in this.

lananbay

Post by lananbay »

Hey Jim,
Here's the one your looking for as we run the same bloodline and I was asking you the same question two weeks ago. My ranger Dan bloodline 13" class gets around 4.8 at 8 miles that's good running with fair scenting conditions. My blue ninja female run little behind her average is 4.1 at same distance 12 3/4 height. By the way her bark has changed into a deeper chop now .
Destry Lopez
LANAN BAY KENNELS

Hunting hounds by RANGER DAN & BLUE NINJA

lananbay

Post by lananbay »

When I owned joe pa novas little mate he would average around 4.8
Destry Lopez
LANAN BAY KENNELS

Hunting hounds by RANGER DAN & BLUE NINJA

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

All three of my hounds run upper med and I they run a normal 4.0 on the garmin
Bad scenting they got to a 3.5 good scenting 5.0.

Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci
Lone Pine Cooz's Swampin Sammi

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

With high scent on just a couple hours out to run, I see my males around 6mph. On a 6 or 7 hour hunt during the season, the entire pack usually ends up in the 4.5-5 range. That is tailgate in the morning to tailgate when we pick'em up.

On the all day hunts, it really depends on how your dogs "hunt", how they work a check, and how they run a track, combined. I have a male that does all 3 of those things at a wide open pace. We have 2 females that run track wide open, hunt fairly fast, and work a check pretty close without moving around a whole lot. They usually end up slower, average wise, due to that. On a good days hunt with a decent amount of rabbits the pack will cover in the 15-18 mile range.

I consider them all to be fast dogs on track.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Good info! Thanks!

COOLSPRING_BOB

Post by COOLSPRING_BOB »

ran thursday for one hour ave 7mph on 4 dogs 6.5 on1dog. ran today 17miles ave.5 on my male 4. 5 on3 of my females.

ARUSH70HALF

Post by ARUSH70HALF »

Most days hunting we will run between 14 and 18 miles at an average speed of 3.2 to 3.8 mph.I consider my dogs to be upper med. to fast,all my running buddies say there fast,fast....IDK... If were in a place where there are not a lot of rabbits obviously that speed drops off some.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

Ha ha ha ha
Thats all I can say to these averages. I run every day and own pretty quick hounds and the olny way there averaging 5 mph is on fox or deer. :lol: Some of these hound are 17 inches and barnburners snapps and casey blood

John Jarzynski

Post by John Jarzynski »

I've been using Garmin for a few years now and I guess my hounds are slower than i thought. I rarely se avg's over 3. This is an all day average, which is a lot of searching some days through some deep snow. I've heard of others with averages in the 5-6 mph and I wonder if these are just when running. Perhaps its all relative.

chapkosbeagles

Post by chapkosbeagles »

There olny hitting AVERAGES of 6 mph on deer. :lol:

northernhare

Post by northernhare »

Coolspring Bob and I went hare hunting in Pa on the day after Christmas and the tracking was phenomenal! The dogs averaged around 7.4 in the first 1.5 hours. They finally went into a slashing and started to track up the area and the tracking started to degrade. That speed is the exception but these dogs on good days can stretch out! Our dogs were not running deer or fox. Normal great running is about 5.5.
Run to catch!!!