another dog food thread.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mybeagles

Re: another dog food thread.

Post by mybeagles »

I haven't fed kibble for two years now and my dogs are looking better than they did on the best kibble they make. Between road kill deer, muskrats, salmon and rabbits I have enough in the freezer to feed 3 beagles for about 6 months and it didn't cost me a penny.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

smokedawg

Post by smokedawg »

Im still feeding Black Gold black bag. It still comes in 50 pound sacks at the feed store which is 2 miles from home. It now is $32.95 for 50 lbs when it was $27 just last year. However, I have tried many different feeds but cant find any as good as black gold even at that price.

Ron_Orick

Post by Ron_Orick »

I feed Sports Mix here and my dogs do very well on it .... Blue Bag

JackAttack

Post by JackAttack »

I have been having good luck with the diamond hi energy lately. Been running a good bit and still able to keep weight on the dogs.
UKC CH HBCH and NKC PPGRRCH Three Sq Hollow Jacker
Howlin' Up The Hill Jill
Ironstone Hill Bruizer
Piketown Jett Lagg

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Ive been feeding Victor new hardware store started saling it 30-18/24-20/ 26-18 all have Omega ,but have been looking in to 9 Lives cat food 30-18 and 32-20 and its cheaper
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l48 ... 5107d5.jpg ,

Thought I would take a picture as I prepared the Dog's food this morning. I'll bet there is more meat right here in this daily ration then there is in three bags of any Dog food mentioned, and it is high quality stuff, I could fry and eat it if I wanted to. This is what dogs need and thrive on, Meat!

z-nail

Post by z-nail »

if you have a tractor supply near by I get great results with Retriever in the blue bag. $22.00 per bag 50lbs

didion419

Post by didion419 »

Here is a hole new deal. Do you guys feed puppy food to your pups and for how long

Murphy's Kennel

Post by Murphy's Kennel »

I usually feed puppy chow til they are close to a year!
HOF Murphy`s Dreaming Demon Gr.R.Ch Gr.B.Ch Triple X's Tango

lebro

Post by lebro »

No just high quality dog food for active dogs.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

Jon Shea

Post by Jon Shea »

I buy 40# cases of chix leg quarters for $25 from a local grocery store. I add olive oil, a fish oil gel capsule, teaspoon of yogurt. I split the leg quarter and take the half back bone off the thigh. 1 Drum stick and half back goes to one dog, thigh goes to another(switch the next day). About 30 leg quarters in a box, 60 days for 2 dogs. Each dog gets tablespoon of oil, fish gel and plain yogurt.
I also save all trimmings, fat & bones from deer kills, I grind the trimmings and fat put into gallon ziplocks for winter feeding or until gone. I also will buy a 2 1/2 dozen egg case and soft boil and add to feed during heavy running, winter.

It is alittle more work and an extra fridge and big freezer help. Dogs do so much better on this than bag food. They get all the nutrition out of it which is evident in the tiny dried up feces they dump out, clean white teeth, no kidney issues. My dogs hardly drink any water which will cut down on Giardia, fleas and tapes from drinking dirty mud puddles.

It's really worth the effort and hardly any more money than buying bagged food. Just my two cents on the best dog food bag debate.

M'N'R kennels

Post by M'N'R kennels »

i have 7 dogs also. I feed black bag pride and orange bag with gravy train. black bag is $21 orange $25 and two bags of gravy is about $20. i mix it all in a barrel. its 132 pounds of food and it feeds for about 24 days

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Jon Shea, Good point about the water consumption. I Guarantee that hounds will drink 4 times less water when fed as we do than when fed dry kibble, not that I mind giving them all the water they need but it does expose a big difference.