dog help

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

FreeHoller40

dog help

Post by FreeHoller40 »

The other day when I was running I started noticing Ruger limping... So I went to check him out, I noticed a few days before he was wearing a raw spot on his front left leg on the front of the bend close to his paw... So i took him home and been putting "Blue Kote" and NU-Stock on it but its still kind of swollen and I just was wonderin what you guys would put on it... Also I have been soaking it in Epson Salt as well for about 5 min starting last night... Im hoping I can get this fixed soon, dont want to lose hunting time with my ole friend here... He now walks on it good but Im worried that if I keep pushing it will get worse... What would yall do and what would be a good fast healer I should say Here is some pics... Have any of you ever ran into where a dog rubs this raw?

You can see the blue kote (blue lotion on his leg as well...

MAKING RABBIT HATERS!!!

Visit Us:
http://www.cottonmouthbeagles.webs.com
~GRHBCH CH COTTONMOUTH'S RAGIN' CAJUN RUGER~
~GRHBCH CH CK'S HARE RAISIN' WHISKEY~
~HBCH CK'S BLACKBERRY MOONSHINE~

Bunnyblaster

Re: dog help

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Do you run him with an ecollar on?? My buddy had a dog that wore a spot on his leg much like yours and it turned out to be from hitting it on the receiver the entire time he was running.

As for a cure I have used nu stock and just plain ole bag balm in the past. And on a spot like that if I really wanted to run the dog I covered it with some of that self sticking wrap like leg wrap for horses while we were out hunting/running and then would remove it again once we were done. It helped protect it from getting any worse and allowed it to heal up while I still got to run the dog.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

You can see there's some swelling in the joint and it's opened up raw.
Is this the Ruger hound you spoke of? My grandmother would make a poltis of sulfur and bacon grease and wrap it to heal, I probably just lay him up and keep doped with gentle Iodine to heal. What a little lost time now from the years of enjoyment ahead?

fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Freeholler, I had a female this year with what looks lie the same problem. The more I hunted her the bigger it got. When deer season came and she was up for two weeks it looked better, But when I went back to hunting her it started to look bad again. I put her up till hair started to cover the spot and hunted her less. Seems to be almost gone now. I believe the hair protects the skin and till you get hair back it may keep looking raw. This was a young female or I probably would not have worried about it much. The other thing I would make sure there is not a briar or thorn in there. I used blue kote, and mange medicine at first, then went to triple antibiotic cream. But think its hard to heal completly while running since the hair is missing. Also if you run a shock or gps collar see if this could be rubbing his leg while hunting, sometimes when they lift the front foot to step over something their leg can hit the collar unit. Good luck let us know how he makes out.

FreeHoller40

Post by FreeHoller40 »

Yea I run ecollars on all of my dogs... What did your buddy do about that???
MAKING RABBIT HATERS!!!

Visit Us:

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

He would put the receive block on the side of the neck instead of having it hang down on the neck. I have had some dogs that this worked well on and others that it always seems to slip back down to the bottom once they start running. It has to be good and tight for it to hold but not so tight it chokes the dog.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Mhouse

Post by Mhouse »

I bet there is a thorn in there or something! I use Watkins salve on my dogs. It might draw something out!
MEADOWWOOD'S BEAGLES

pcable

Post by pcable »

I would try some EMT gel on it, then cover with the self adhesive wrap to keep him from chewing or licking it. You can buy the wrap at Wal Mart in the pharmacy area. I think its about $3 a roll. The sulfur and lard paste would also help. The sulfur acts as an antibiotic. Definitly cover it to keep him from licking and chewing at the place though. Sometimes the dog will make these places worse. Hope this helps!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

Bryantsville Beagler

Post by Bryantsville Beagler »

That's from the ecollar continuously hitting his leg while running, have one here at the house that does the same thing. I usually let him run on until its gets to bleeding then I will adjust his collar, he only did it for a month or so and it was fine
J&D's Kennel
Jeff & Dylan Hill

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I'd think the e-collar rubbing would be on the inside of the joint, not the outside? unless that tricky rascal is crossing his legs when he runs ;)

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

Mhouse wrote:I bet there is a thorn in there or something! I use Watkins salve on my dogs. It might draw something out!
For what it's worth I run where alot of Hawthorn tree and brush grows, I have a couple that looked the same as yours.
They did have thorns broke off in the leg, I was able to get them out on some of the dogs and twice I had to have the vet
fix them up---but I guess it could also be that it's banging on the collar, I have never had that happen with one of mine.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I bought a triple lotion of some sort for horses and dogs, it has an antibiotic, and numbing agent in it as well as another ingredient. It works very well!

The wrap is Coban and yes you can get it at Walmart or CVS. It will stay on when you run him, but I would probably lay him up a week or so with treatment since that is swollen like it is. He gets an infection in the joint and you could have real issues. JMO.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Just looked at the salve I have, Farnam is manufacturer, called Tri-Care. Very good stuff!! Thick and stays on the wound!

Best of luck!!

FreeHoller40

Post by FreeHoller40 »

Thanks guys going to have to try something... Ive ran him with shocking collar on since he was 7 months old and have never had a issue before. I am goin to try that bcbeagles
MAKING RABBIT HATERS!!!

Visit Us:

FreeHoller40

Post by FreeHoller40 »

How do you know when something is in there? and do you put this watkins salve on everyday?
MAKING RABBIT HATERS!!!

Visit Us: