houseing dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

didion419

houseing dogs

Post by didion419 »

What do you guys do about the cold weather

Dale L.

Re: houseing dogs

Post by Dale L. »

I just make sure they have good dry bedding and if it is real cold I may put two dogs per pen for the added warmth of laying together. I have never had a problem with it this way. Not sure where you are located or how cold it is but I am in West Virginia.

M'N'R kennels

Post by M'N'R kennels »

I put two dogs per kennel also and a bunch of bedding

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I put straw in the yard barn but some dug a hole under the side and prefer to stay under it in a hole they've dug. The ground under the barn must be warmer... :roll:
A balmy 7 deg. this morning, wind from the north - windchill. BRrrrrr.
Boiling off some beef ribs, gonna split the broth between two buckets of water and give the a warm drink in a little while. Most important to keep them hydrated in this cold. Feed wet food,.. the water pan freezes to fast.
Blocking off the draft, layer of bedding & 2-6 hounds in a pile makes alot of heat... ;)

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

This weather is normal around here. Rough on very young pups or old and sickly dogs. With plenty of straw in dog houses, healthy dogs will be just fine.

didion419

Post by didion419 »

Im in northern ohio about 10 this morning My 2 pups 6 months old are housed together The male is a big fatty 29 lbs should keep the little female warm thanks

deadeyebeagle

Post by deadeyebeagle »

i cant stand straw they pee all over it after they kick it out of the box and its a mess to clean up.iv never had a problem with mites once i stopped using it.i use ceder chips and a 250w heat bulb when it gets real cold i have a 5 gallon heated horse bucket for water.when i go out to feed i can see um in there dog boxs rolling around on there backs any other food time they are front and center waiting lol
DEADEYES POACHER

didion419

Post by didion419 »

I put a 300 watt bulb under the box took a styrafoam cooler bungeed it to bottom of box

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I keep my hounds in their own barn With the K-9 Kondo swinging doors for each run. With 12 hounds, the inside of the building never goes below freezing. I have a 30,000 BTU wall heater but I only use that and heat lamps when I have pups in the winter months.

This year I added greenhouse panels on the outside runs. It blocks the wind and the runs are warm on sunny days.

This morning -6 Degrees at 7 am

reddog

island hare chas'r

Post by island hare chas'r »

OLDER DOGS ADDED MORE CEDAR SHAVINGS TO COOP AND PUT UP MORE WIND BLOCKS THE 10 WEEK OLD PUP HAVE A 60 WATT BULB UNDER HIS COOP IN A REFLECTOR BUT TOOK HOM IN LAST NITE AND HAVNT PUT HIM OUT TODAY STARTED OUT -10 AND NOW IS A BALMY AND BREEZEE 1 DEGREE ONE MORE DAY OF THIS AND SUPPOSED TO WARM UP INTO THE TEENS

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

doubled them up last night wind chill -15 deg. Have lots of straw inside their houses which are inside pole barn.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

I water mine down and chain em up in the wind but only when its below freezing to show em who's boss and put hair on their chests... :lol:

Na, I double or triple the dogs up in my Seneca kennels or just let them stay inside.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

mine live in the basement. my yard is fenced in so they can go out whenever. warm in winter, cool in summer.

Budd

Post by Budd »

Dry straw bedding, door flap, and keep my dog houses small and insulated. -32 when I got up this morning, high of -6. Doubled the young pups up last night for body warmth.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

my wife found this product about four years ago, "snugglesafe" just put it in the micro wave for five minutes, then i put it a burlap bag or other protective covering, and toss one in each dog house. Stays warm for 8-12 hours.
Big Mike