Questions for Yote Callers

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

PrideHillKennel

Questions for Yote Callers

Post by PrideHillKennel »

Going to try to do some serious coyote calling this winter, and looking for advice. I have called up one with a mouth rabbit squealer, and a couple of foxes using electronic callers. What advice or tips would you veterans have for a beginner. I have access to a fox pro if that helps. What sounds seam to work best in the east or Mountains of WV. All advice/help is great. I have several big peices of property to hunt. Some are big and open and some are big and thick, some are both. thanks
LpGrRch LpGrBch Pride Hill Blue Boy
LpGrRch Pride Hill Drive On Crockett
LpGrRch Pride Hill Ribbon
LpRch PHK June Bug
LpRch PHK Misty

MaineDogs

Re: Questions for Yote Callers

Post by MaineDogs »

For starters, play the wind. your scent is going to be the biggest part of it all. wind in your face is good but a cross wind is better. don’t let em get down wind of you or its over. sit still and move the least possible, sit still and don’t move, sit still and don’t be seen ;) . rabbit in distress works best for most as coyotes are always looking for an easy warm meal. the fox pro is great because you get sounds that work and typically work well. Sit anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and before you end the stand try coyote pup kiyis. When you use the kiyis have your gun ready cuz if there going to come in, there going to come in fast and furious style.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Go to predator master . Com
TheJohnBirchSociety

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Dogs seem to always want to come in fast and sit right in frount of your speaker, so position it off to the side, so as he looks directly at the speaker, if you have to slightly move your gun into position to shoot, you are not directly in line of sight. In other words, I set 20 to 30 feet beside the speaker, never behind it. Gives you a slight edge. Always play the wind, they will try to move down wind of you. Choose a position that makes that dificult for them. Good luck and have fun.
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

Rneil

Post by Rneil »

Position is important

Wind at your back, ecaller 20 yards behind you

Most of the time the yote will circle downwind

Your kill zone will be to the left or right of the downwind before they get to that point.

They are use to the rabbit sounds, etc however; they will still work.

It's breeding time so a female yote howl works good

Spray rabbit scent

These are not western yotes, you have to hunt them different

Good Luck
http://www.savgeroadbeagles.com
New site uploaded 2-5-08

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

lol. u have gotten all three ways to call lol. Cross wind wind in ur face and wind at ur back. Lol. ive been calling for 20 + years and i will never set up w the wind in my back. Go to predatormasters and look around. Alot of good callers on there with alot of knowledge!

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Try wind in your face or cross, and a river, creek behind you. For them to get down wind, they have to swim and they won't.

Rneil

Post by Rneil »

bluecollar beagler is right; go to Preadatormasters.com

This is where I came up with this set up however; I don't have 20 years experience.

Quotes from Preadatormasters.com:

"You gotta watch the downwind side or your going to lose some yotes, no doubt about it. Again the terrain and visability is the deciding factor. In my area it's dense in some areas open in others."

"In terrain where a coyote could literally come from any direction, I always face downwind. Like you, this comes from years of hunting alone. Tony Tebbe PREDATOR UNIVERSITY...Yep. Goes against the normal rules, eh?"

"I usually try to set up where I can shoot downwind. I hunt alone and hand call more often than not.
Coyotes and fox will end up downwind no matter which way they approach from. If you don't shoot em first"

"I have my best luck with the wind at my back. Just sat facing and be ready to shoot. Tried everything else and have the best luck this way."

"When using handcalls, I prefer a cross-wind but not past 9 to my left and 3 to my right. I set up my rifle on my shooting sticks basically down-wind, maybe slightly to 12 from wind. Most yotes I've call head down-wind at some point, although this is not absolute...it seems the more pressured or skeptical, the sooner they make the cut. Setting up this way generally requires the smallest adjustment to the incoming yote. I stop the yote before it hits my wind for the shot."

"I think along the same lines as tony my hunting buddie have hunted facing down wind and had alot of success but we have also had some luck facing up wind. I guess it work's both ways but again facing down wind if my choice here in southern illinois."

"......It all started when we had our backs up to a big patch of timber and the wind was (as they all say) just perfect....it was blowing about 5 miles per hour into our face. We had 3 coyotes coming right at us from about 200 yards away, we could see them moving through some CRP brush. Then, about 100 yards from us, they all three took a hard left and went around the field to stay in the timber....where we could not see or shoot. Eventually about a minute later, my buddy saw a glimpse of two of them directly behind us in the Big Timber and they all ran when they got our wind like you had shot them out of a cannon."
New site uploaded 2-5-08

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

I'm not expert coyote caller, but have had some success here in middle TN. I have found that the coyotes I have called in all came right away. Like first 5 - 10 minutes. I have sat for up to an hour calling but again the ones I have had come came like on the first 3 calling series. That is just my experience....and based on that I move every 15 min. I don't sit in one spot long.
Good luck!
-Pete
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

rneil, ive talked to tony on calling for years on predatormasters, ive been a member since 2002 lol.... how your setting up isnt much different then how im setting up or anyone else but you have to visualize how each person is setting up... for instance.. ill assume since your in the columbus area its probably flat land and your calling looking into a wide open cornfield 40 acres(give or take) in size with the wind in your back...with your setup im assuming your anticipating that coyote to come out of a wood pocket to your left or right correct??? when i call im tyically not hunting wide open pasture fields and if i do im facing the woods i want to be calling into and will only call it with a cross wind and set my caller upwind of me 30-40 yards sometimes further and more then 75% of the time the coyote will come straight into my face for a shotgun range shot or better... again you have to visualize this.. say the wind is blowing left to right, my caller is to my left 40 yards. typically a coyote will approach 50-75 yards downwind or more. ive just placed myself where that coyote will not smell me until hes in my lap before he smells me and if ive done it right im actually downwind of him and he's looking at my caller and not me! my only problem with calling with the wind in your back in my area is that you are forced to take a long shot at times. ive had coyotes come trotting by me at less then 3 steps and never know i was sitting there as they passed by concentrating on the caller. very seldom do i ever have to take a shot more then 40-50 yards away, its all in your setup....another thing is i dont call pasture fields anymore or wide open areas much, i stay in the woods where the coyotes are comfortable. alot of times newbies cant picture or visualize setups properly or completely understand setting up with a crosswind etc.. best thing to do is tag along with guys that have called awhile and try to pick up on techniques and setups. if you learn to setup properly and play the wind correctly the calling part will come to you... i like to use lightning jack, dsg cottontail, and rodent distress sounds. ill start my sounds off this time of year with a female invitational howl, wimpers or interrogational howls and wait 5-6 minutes and go into a distress sound for 5-10 minutes.. there breeding so when you start a call with a coyote vocalization they think something has entered there territory and will investigate, once you throw out the distress sound they assume that coyote has stolen a free meal and you have there attention then.... ill stay on stand for no less then 30 minutes. if its a heavily called area you can expect them to approach slow, if its an area that hasnt seen much pressure they might run you over if your lucky especially if there close and its cold outside!!! when it gets below freezing during the cold winter months studies have shown a coyote has to have atleast 2 lbs of protein to survive!!!!! thats alot of rodents or rabbits if ask me.....

Rneil

Post by Rneil »

Nightwatchman (I Believe), I have followed all the Ohio post on PM to see how everyone is setting up and calling. I am using a foxpro and I have a few hand calls. Using the same sounds you are using. In the woods I am also using a squirrel distress sound. I am starting to see more yotes watching downwind however; it depends on the land, like you said. I am going to start hunting at night as soon as I figure out what light to use for my scope. If you have any ideas for a scope light give me a PM. I have a 3-9X50mm Scope.
New site uploaded 2-5-08

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I've been to seminars put on by guys who yote hunt almost every noght of the week. They set up like blue collar beagler at night. Those guys get results. When I set up, I set up the same way though I don't hunt much. When they come in, they come in directly in front of my call, don't even know I'm there.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)