KY Miller Welch WMA?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Round Hill Kennels

KY Miller Welch WMA?

Post by Round Hill Kennels »

I have 2 pups that need some good running ground to train. I thought about going to Miller Welch WMA to run and was wanting some tips on where to turn the dogs loose there.
Round Hill Kennels
Richmond KY

J.C. Blair

Re: KY Miller Welch WMA?

Post by J.C. Blair »

I'm down there at least once a week. You are only allowed to run there tuesday thursday and saturday and sunday. Most time people will turn right out on top of where your runnin. Some people are respectful and a handful that think they own the property lol. Hard to run there sometimes with so many people Goin in and out. You can tag along with me sometime if you'd like.

I was down there this afternoon and had some killer runnin
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Round Hill Kennels

Its only about 15 minutes away from my house and I have never ran there. How is the rabbit population? I have a couple of pups that need to find some rabbits.
Round Hill Kennels
Richmond KY

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Seem to be plenty of rabbits there I ran tonight and jumped 5, but jumped some others walking through to watch the dogs. Bout anywhere you go there will hold a rabbit.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Round Hill Kennels

Thanks, I appreciate it. Might head out there Thursday after work.
Round Hill Kennels
Richmond KY

mike carder

Post by mike carder »

That sounds like great hunting. I might head over there this weekend. Get a room and kill a bunch of rabbits. I have both days off and after looking at it on the map looks great.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

mike carder wrote:That sounds like great hunting. I might head over there this weekend. Get a room and kill a bunch of rabbits. I have both days off and after looking at it on the map looks great.
Mike,
You can't kill the rabbits at Miller Welch. You can only run your dogs there.

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

Ky. Hunter wrote:
mike carder wrote:That sounds like great hunting. I might head over there this weekend. Get a room and kill a bunch of rabbits. I have both days off and after looking at it on the map looks great.
Mike,
You can't kill the rabbits at Miller Welch. You can only run your dogs there.
That's correct no gun hunting is allowed. And you can only bow hunt deer there. It's a dog training facility only.
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Round Hill Kennels wrote:I have 2 pups that need some good running ground to train. I thought about going to Miller Welch WMA to run and was wanting some tips on where to turn the dogs loose there.
Depending on how well the pups are running you might want to think about takeing a old slow dog with them to help keep it going.The rabbits are run to death there and to call them tricky is a understatement.Some will run good but if they don't want to be messed with they won't be.As said before there is no hunting the tricky ones survive and breed I think it's in their DNA.It's a good place to work dogs though if they can lock on one there and run it they won't have any trouble running one anyplace else.