breeding pedigrees

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lebro

breeding pedigrees

Post by lebro »

if looking at pedigrees for breeding purposes, you find two belly mate brothers how much emphasis do you put on performance between these two? if one hunts harder will it put more hunt into its pups?
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

Newt

Re: breeding pedigrees

Post by Newt »

lebro wrote:if looking at pedigrees for breeding purposes, you find two belly mate brothers how much emphasis do you put on performance between these two? if one hunts harder will it put more hunt into its pups?
Define "Belly Mate". Is that a colloquialism for litter mate?

There is no guarantee any dog's desired characteristics will show up in offspring. However there is a good chance some in the litter will have the desired traits.

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

the genes are already there and the blood is as well it will either come out or it wont. its all about desire in a youg one how much it wants it. a lot of it though is based on how well you can train one also, puting what you know into his/her head is the key to it all and how well your pup takes it all in, if it has the desire to do it or not. some will take to it better than others. if they all took to it the same everyone would have field champions lol.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

How many times have experienced breeders seen a lesser hound in the litter be the best reproducer within the line??

I have heard of this in females, curious about Males myself?

I know your angle Lee and I like it!!!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Are the brothers from line/inbred family of hounds or from an out-cross of unrelated hounds?

Each cross is made with the intent of adding or bring out qualities in the future offspring. Best to ask the breeder what the strength/weaknesses of the cross are, and what was hoped for in the out-come of the litter the two brothers are from. We breed hoping for the over-all percentage of resulting hounds from a litter to be at, or an improvement on what we've already got. Are the two at or better than their parents or the over-all body of the family? Without knowing this, you could be going backwards from where the average is already at.

Do some study on the back-ground and see where your two brothers rank. Then if the averages and the selection are in your favor, the better of the two would be the way to start. Without anything on the ground from the two brother to judge from, the hounds from the background are all you have to go on...only future test breeding will show who's the better producer... :nod:

lebro

Post by lebro »

How many times have experienced breeders seen a lesser hound in the litter be the best reproducer within the line?? this may be the biggest question and how do you find out with out breeding.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

You don't IMO, Lee I would say the situation you are referring to is a safe investment. I heard the hound in question run on some video, he was in there getting with it!

If we are referring to the direction I steered you to go. Man I think I just confused myself, lol. Take care.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

lebro wrote:How many times have experienced breeders seen a lesser hound in the litter be the best reproducer within the line??
this may be the biggest question and how do you find out with out breeding.
It happens all the time or else best/best would always work.
How do you find out without breeding? impossible

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

lebro wrote:How many times have experienced breeders seen a lesser hound in the litter be the best reproducer within the line?? this may be the biggest question and how do you find out with out breeding.
I know a fellow that had two littermate brothers. One was an AKC FC and the other one was just an average gun dog at best but the one that was just an average gun dog produced the best pups time and time again. The FC thru average pups and the average dog thru some outstanding pups.

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Ky. Hunter, were the litermate brothers bread to the same females? Different females would make a different mixture of genes. Just asking.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Rcoff wrote:Ky. Hunter, were the litermate brothers bread to the same females? Different females would make a different mixture of genes. Just asking.
Thanks,
Bob
That's my thinking I think the bitch doesn't get a enough credit in breeding .
TheJohnBirchSociety

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

:lol:
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

lebro

Post by lebro »

thanks for the input.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

littlewoody wrote:
Rcoff wrote:Ky. Hunter, were the litermate brothers bread to the same females? Different females would make a different mixture of genes. Just asking.
Thanks,
Bob
That's my thinking I think the bitch doesn't get a enough credit in breeding .
The littermate brothers were bred to the same female 2 times. After the average dog was the better producer the man decided to cross them to the same female and see what happened and the results were the same.
Bob,
I am like you, I don't think the female gets enough credit in breeding. A friend of mine has a female that has been bred to 3 different males and the pups out of all three litters made real to outstanding rabbit dogs.