Nothing But A rabbit?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitearl

Nothing But A rabbit?

Post by rabbitearl »

I know there is alot of off game out there.But who out there dose not used shock collor on your dogs?They just will not run nothing but a rabbit.They come when call just all around great dogs.Or what breed of dogs would come somewhere around this.Might be looking to get some pups.Thanks.

allniter

Re: Nothing But A rabbit?

Post by allniter »

I have [4] dogs that I raised ---30-06 -&-RED MAN they have not ran any off game from day one --but a cotton tail and hare will be [2] this spring they ran their pad off this NOV. in the UP -if they wanted to they had plenty of chances in UP-----but I still run with TRI- TRONIC on them -that is what I bought the collars for ---they will not help me in the TRUCK or on the desk at home --how many times have hear someone say I would one million bucks it I had a COLLAR on the son of gun--the man isn't mad now so he said ---SON OF GUN :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I too have a dog off of Blitz and Dingus bread, has not ran any off game up to date. I have 2 Dingus bread dogs, had 1 Boldstroke dog, never ran off game; still run dogs with shock collars on them, never know when a rabbit will cross a road in traffic and I want to be able to stop my hound before he gets run over.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

rabbitearl, I have raised several that would not run off game. I have had some rabbit dogs that would not even run a Snowshoe Hare, but would pound a cottontail.

mobeagle

Post by mobeagle »

I will tell you something that I believe to be the truth in all of this. I believe those dogs that never ran a deer would have ran deer if thats what you started them on, those animals are just smart enough to figure out what they are supposed to run and that was it for them. It's not that they're naturally deer proof, its their easily trained you show them what you want them to run and thats it. I assure you that if you took a dog out to start with an older dog that ran nothing but deer you would probably have a beagle that wouldnt run a rabbit. Just something to think about....I dont believe in this idea that hounds are born with a special brain that tells them what they're supposed to run. You decide that for them, they're born to run and track game you decide what to start them on. Started many of my coyote dogs on rabbits with beagles, I know guys that let their hounds run loose in their yard that live in the country and they let them run deer to start with and break them later (i'm not in favor of that). Point is a hound is programmed to run, you choose the game and some of them will only run what you start them on.
Take your kids huntin and you wont have to hunt for your kids.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

All dogs are 100% clean until they aren't...I run shock collars for that day just in case. It will be the day when they just can't find a rabbit and a fox or deer or.....jumps in front of them that could change it all, the shock collar will keep them honest.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Every one of my dogs will run a deer under the right circumstances.. A couple won't jump them but will follow other dogs when they do. This year i have only had one chase I think and i popped them so fast not all the dogs got in on it. I think my fiance had a deer chase too with one dog..

All my dogs are trained on rabbits only starting with dead rabbits and then tame rabbits and then at a starting pen with lots of rabbits and next to zero deer. They still come out and run a deer when they get the chance. I know there are broke dogs from birth but its been my experience at field trials and with hunting buddies and such that its far and few between with the amount of deer that are out there now.

I find that if we are in a place with lots of rabbits the dogs could care less about deer but if I am in a spot where we have been for an hour with no rabbits, I get nervous
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

I have a male out of speedy sport,That will not run anything but a rabbit.If you here the dogs barking and he is not you better get to shocking.I seen him turn down hot deer,foxes,cats.You can take that to the bank.
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

YoungPup740

Post by YoungPup740 »

i have seen 5yr old field champ dog that you would think never run off game take off on off game. :hammer: I think dogs will be dogs and in the right situation anything is possible. JMO

hskennels69

Post by hskennels69 »

Well as we all know I've owned a few dogs in my time and it is rare to get a dog under the right circumstances that won't do it...I've seen a couple and it is 1:and an exponential number, as Dave said dogs will be dogs and they love to run....I've seen a male who was a check dog from day one, run his first deer at 7 yrs. old, but I couldn't blame him as big as that buck was I would have ran that Booner my darn self,lol....When the rut is in it's alot harder to keep them off of deer because the smell is so strong it's like an aphrodisiac to them, especially young dogs....
Home of:
LP R. CH. UKC DUAL CH. PKC SILVER CHAMPION OLD DIRTY SOUTH PLAYBOY
H&S MUSTANG SALLY

east80kennels

Post by east80kennels »

boys dogs are dogs but its kinda like raisin youngins you jhave to let em know from a young age who is the boss. i keep young dogs year round and thisd farm is deer infested, along with everything else game wise. they hunt where i hunt and do as i say or i put that boot in that a$$ UNTIL THEY GET IT RIGHT. its boot camp 101 round here all the time anyone who knows me will tell u this collar no collar these dogs will mind and do as there suposto. you see you have to get that early bluff on em, then keep it rght on an on. the dogs all hunt hard for you and you wont be hunting for them.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

East80.I believe you re right.just don t let the right one see it.We are in big trouble around here if we boot a hog.I do see it coming no shock collors on dogs.why.Just last year.No more shocking hogs to move them around.peta says this is a NO NO.So I do see it coming to dogs.That one reason I ask this ? to see if there was a well know beagles to turn away off game without the shock collor.These peta people sure have mess our way to load hogs.They want us to scrach there back when we move them 300 lb hogs.Its unreal how they can change things.I do believe, enjoy them shock collors why you can.I hope that I am wrong.Thanks Yall for all your info.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

We occasionally raise a pup out of our Indian Hills x Rising Sun x Northway line that never runs anything but rabbits but others out of the same blood have to be "trained" not to run off game, which around eastern NC now includes deer, gray and red fox, coyotes, and yote crossing on red wolves. We often buy a dog from other places that the owner believes is DEER OR OFF GAME PROOF. They just do not understand the difference between deer broke and pressure broke. A pressure broke dog will come back or stay and continue hunting when a pack of young unbroke dogs take off after the wrong thing in a roar. Combined with a GPS these pressure broke dogs tell you it is time to train the others quickly. This process has made breaking young dogs off off-game much easier. Bear in mind that where we hunt it is not unusual for a 100 acre block of woods to have 20 or more deer laying in it. Bottom line is that although we have a pack that is mostly totally broke, everything has an e-collar on when they leave the truck. MAN I LOVE RUNNING DOGS! ROWCO, BOBBY AND JOHNNY

wvden

Post by wvden »

Its a dogs instinct to RUN if they can chase something, if i turn my hounds loose in the yard and my four yr old daughter takes off running they WILL CHASE HER. its just a natural instinct