Sportmix

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

coolbrze

Sportmix

Post by coolbrze »

My Black Gold dealer just started carrying Sportmix last month. Do any of you all feed it & if so, which Sportmix & how do you like it?
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

johns03272008

Re: Sportmix

Post by johns03272008 »

I feed sportmkx 26/18 the blue bag and like it all seasons except dead of winter!! For some reason i feed 2x as much in the winter and they still cant seem to hold enough weight on them so i switch to something else during the winter!! Other than that i love it, not alot of mess from them and coats look good and plenty of energy!!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

I have fed the black bag 24/20 for the last 5 years and love it!
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Schag

Post by Schag »

I switch between the black bag and yellow bag. Pretty fair dog food in my opinion. :check:

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

I didn't have much luck with it. Blackgold is better IMO
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

been feeding the 24/20 for about 2 years now and it's done great for me!!
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I tried the blue and green bag. They looked horrible on it. Couldn't hold weight and the waste was awful, the smell would gag a cat. I feed Victor dog food and have been for five months, they look good. No gluten, soy, or corn.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

m and m beagles

Post by m and m beagles »

Black bag 24/20 as good as any. Been feeding it for 4yrs now. The blue green or red is not bad if u run 1-2 times a week. But if you run 3-5 days hard you will need the black.
Travis McCarthy
M and M Beagles
Danville IN
(317)563-2949
Mccarthysroofing@att.net
@ Stud GRHBCH GRPCH GRCH M and M's Rocky Road

mowhawk madman

Post by mowhawk madman »

Black bag 24/20 Pride year round n mine always look great n ready to go! Not knockin any other feed just sayin what works for me n mine! Almost seems funny how feed manufactuars seem to pick same colors for the mix dont it?

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

best thing i did was switch and get my dogs off of it. i was feeding them 4 cups a day (more than DOUBLE of the native dog food i feed now) and they still looked horrible on it.as was stated above their waiste was horrible. native is twice as expensive but i feed them LESS than half as much so its actually cheaper to have them on a much superior dog food IMO. my dogs look great and their coats just shine.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

junk dog food... :blackeye: save urself the hassel stick with black gold or switch to pro plan...dogs will poop every where and eat grass, and won't consistantly keep weight no matter how much or little you run them...you'll have to keep changing how much u feed depending on often they get out of the kennel weather etc....i switched to a quality dog food and my dogs don't roll in stinky stuff anymore they don't eat there own poop or other dogs for that matter no more grass eating, and they all look like house dogs. Black gold or red flannel is about the best you'll find for under 30 bucks a bag diamond hi energy was ok for me as well, but diamond does not have a good record for quality. Sportmix is bottom of the shelf in my opinion, and I've fed it all at one point or another been feeding purina pro plan performance for just over 3 years now...Have'nt switched since....30/20 and summer and winter 3/4 - 1 cup once a day...dogs stay lean and the energy is there....no hot spots and the protein does not "burn" them up in the summer time, but crap dog food does...sorry this is sorta that topic i'm pretty passionate and firm on...for 12 years I bounced around from dog food to dog food always shy'd away from expensive foods, until gave in and tried it and i havent looked back since i found exactly what i was looking for and feeding 9 dogs a 37.5 lb bag lasts me about 12 days...and I free feed puppies puppy chow. when I was feeding this many dogs before a 50lb bag of anything else last me about a week b/c i had to feed more to some dogs, the amount was always fluctuating...
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

Dan440

Post by Dan440 »

I agree sport mix sucks. I switched to pro plan about a year ago, and.there is no comparison. Sport mix does cost less, but you get what you pay for.
LIVE ACTION KENNELS
FCGD MAUCH ONE MILI
FCGD DAGO VALLEY BULLET
FCGD STARS N STRIPES JR.
FCGD LIVE ACTION MILI'S MAYHEM
FCGD LIVE ACTION RANGER MCDANIELS
FCGD LIVE ACTION ALL DAY ABBEY

zjamesmoore

Post by zjamesmoore »

I really encourage people to try Victor 24/20 great feed !!! IMO

Ive been feeding it for awhile now switched over from Diamond its easily the best feed Ive ever fed. Very little stool and much less feed to sustain a good body weight. After 4 or 5 days running in a row I can really see a difference in how they look on the victor compared to how they looked on the Diamond and they maintained there drive and energy a lot better and there coats don't get as rough. I will say though I didn't get very good consumption on the Victor 26/18 (purple bag) then I switched to the Victor 24/20 (red bag) and cant say enough good about it. I pay 26 dollars and some change for a 40pound bag here in Kansas EXCELLENT FEED !!!
Last edited by zjamesmoore on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

ohlinger, you hit it on the head with eat grass and poop everywhere... ive been feeding it since the diamond dog food problem. dogs started out good on it but have been having problems on it for the past month.. ive had dogs lay down and start eating grass while out in the field.. :angryfire: i knew it had to be the food bc ive never seen them so intent on eating it in such large quantities... the last time i had them out i noticed one of them crapped 5-6 times in 2 hours... ... this is my last bad of sportmix and im switching to something else.... i am starting to believe there is no such thing as A GOOD BAG OF DOGFOOD...

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

I've been feeding 24/20 for about 5 yrs.Have tried others and always come back to it.I have a bag of Victor 26/18.Thought I'ed give it a try,I can't get them to eat it?