Cutting your dogs tail off

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Wild Ridge

Cutting your dogs tail off

Post by Wild Ridge »

I have a female that is a real go getter. She keeps her tail wore off into the raw and even down to the bone . The better the season the worst she gets. I have seen her bleed so much it makers her weak.
It has hair on it now because I havn't been running much on account of family sickness.
What do you all suggest " cut about 2 1/2 inches off it ?
And if I do will she just start wearing it off ,starting were it was cut.
or do you suggest tapeing it up or any other good advice.

bigdogs0074

Re: Cutting your dogs tail off

Post by bigdogs0074 »

Bull band below the raw spots

Blubeagle

Post by Blubeagle »

yep...go to the coop...get a band...put it on right below where it stays raw!...in 2 weeks or less...all the problems will be gone!!!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I have done this on a couple of mine. It worked great! They are much more comfortable now. Takes about 3wks to fall off then put some vaseline or other ointment on it for protection for a couple weeks and they are good to go!

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

Have seen this done before and the bone was actualy still sticking out....not a pretty sight, and no way that can be good for the dog I'd recommend getting someone with experience to help out or make sure you know exactly what you're doing! Also so a guy bring a dog to a hunt that had done this to his dog and tail was'nt even healed up yet...Make sure you give it plenty of time to heal. I've also seen dogs that have the band on there tail and everything came out fine lol....Be smart about it..
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

BigStrutter

Post by BigStrutter »

Band it below where it stays raw but feel for a joint in the tail to keep any bone from sticking out. I've done this to 4 of my hounds and actually one just fell off last week and ran him Sunday without any problems. Tractor Supply carries the bands and you get a big bag full for a few dollars.

Ned

couch potato jim

Post by couch potato jim »

I just don't understand why people do this to there hounds " it's abuse". This is not necessary " cutting off a beagles tail" when it becomes raw and bloody. If you run your hound in the briars all the time and the hounds tail become like this don't you think it's time to stop running the little guy or gal. When I run my hounds and if there tails are getting like that i stop running them untel there tail get's better. Don't cut if off! :idea: Don't mean to offend anyone but cutting off a beagles tail is just not right.
Couch Potato Jim
AKC Hill Shakers Little Candy Girl
AKC Candy's Little Dazzling Doc
AKC Jims Jazzy Jigs
AKC Candy's Little Booty Kicker
Chief White Ear
Jigs Iron Ike
Frenchmans Zacary Last @ Stud

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

Couch Potato jim it is not abuse when it is done correctly. I have seen the relief a hound feels when he doesn't have the raw nerves from banging his tail. It has been approved by my vet and that is good enough for me. If you want good hounds you make them as comfortable as you can and run them as much as they can take and then run them some more.
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

If I have to let them heal up because of a bloody tail, then I need to remove the tail tip, simple as that.

The last two I have done turned out great. I only took off about 3 inches or there about. The hair grew over the tip and they are good to go!

No more blood covered sides for them. Nothing cruel about it, I call it being a responsible owner and making them more adapted to do what they do!

I had one guy say, breed for a flag tail instead of a "rat tail", believe me, mine had nice tails with plenty of hair to protect them, but hours in the brush with the maniac tail going will make that a bloody stub in a couple trips.

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

couch potato jim wrote:I just don't understand why people do this to there hounds " it's abuse". This is not necessary " cutting off a beagles tail" when it becomes raw and bloody. If you run your hound in the briars all the time and the hounds tail become like this don't you think it's time to stop running the little guy or gal. When I run my hounds and if there tails are getting like that i stop running them untel there tail get's better. Don't cut if off! :idea: Don't mean to offend anyone but cutting off a beagles tail is just not right.
If you feel this way, than you have every right to say it, but so does the ones asking the question. I feel that it is "abuse" by making my hounds stay in the kennels, when they want to run. I don't have a hound without a tail, but if they needed it, I would do what I felt was a necessity. These little hounds crave running, and I want to do everything in my power to make it happen for them.

JMHO
Jamey

MPankratz

Post by MPankratz »

I've got one beagle that would eat all day long. If I had a never ending supply of food, she'd do her best to find an end. I don't let her because it's not good for her.
These little hounds crave running, and I want to do everything in my power to make it happen for them.
I didn't think anyone was suggesting not allowing a dog to run, just to cut back to the point where it's not actually injurious to the hound any longer. I don't see much problem with it being done to a dog as a young pup, but it doesn't seem right to do this to an older dog. A bit like circumcision, I suppose ;)

Still, on the scale of abuses perpetrated on animals, this is rather inconsequential. If your dog is loved and well cared for otherwise, that's what matters. It's not an issue for people to get riled up over.

I'm not entirely familiar with the process, to be honest. Is there anaesthetic involved? Something beyond a local, that is? What sort of pain management is provided after the initial procedure? Is this performed by a licensed veterinarian? It sounded from earlier posts that that was not the case. That's a little scary. Sure, as far as surgical procedures go, amputation is about as basic as it gets, but it should still probably be limited to people with experience and real training.

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

Would be cool if someone who does this could post before,during, and after pictures to see the actualy process, I know lots of people do it, have consulted a veterinarian about having it docked, and it was upwards of $400.00 and that was only after finaly speaking with a vet who actualy "somewhat" understood why it needed done. Most could'nt get it through there thick fluffy skulls that dogs actualy willingly did this to there tails with out me forcing them too...of course posting pics like that on here would be risky for the foo foo's just loving to bring bad light on it....but it would actualy be educational for most of us who at one point or another end up facing the same situation....
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

BEAGLEBLUES

Post by BEAGLEBLUES »

I had an Australian Shephard that I had docked after he was on up close to a year old. The pup did not have it done when young, and I decided that it would stay on. Long story short, after an accident, it was removed surgically by a vet, and the pup acted like it was in alot of pain. He would bump it and squall out. On the other hand, I have seen removal with the castration bands, and the dogs did not even act like there was anything wrong. That is my experience, and I have never had to remove one with the bands, but after the shephard, I will not have it done by a vet anymore. again, this is just my experience, and opinion.

Jamey

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

It numbs the tail where the band is. Only thing I recommend is to pull the hair toward the body when you put on the band so when the tail falls off, that extra skin and hair will cover the raw end. These bands are used for castration, no anesthesia and that to me would hurt far, far, far, more than a tail but it doesn't in either case. Like I said, it numbs the area.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

ive done two dogs with the band. it works. two weeks it falls off. problem solved. just leave it on there it'll fall off.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels