mean dog

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

warmule

mean dog

Post by warmule »

ive got a mean female she hates strange dogs and hunters takes her to or three trips with them before she gets used to them ive tried shocking her but dont seem to work shes makeing a great dog only 14 months old or id get rid of her
John 3:16

Mo. Beagler 5000

Re: mean dog

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Shocking her makes it worse...... The only thing I did with our aggressive female is take dogs into the house and introduce another dog and the very second she growls, knock the living hell out of her.. then repeat with a different dog everyday till she learns.

My dog wont hunt all the time with unfamiliar dogs but she sure as hell wont attack them
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

This is about the number one reason for removal from gene pool.

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

If aone of my dogs is aggresive toward people it is culled. I will not keep an aggresive dog.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

They can't be good enough for me to tolerate that, IMO. She would leave quickly if it did not continually get better. Again, JMO.

TC

Post by TC »

The Beagle is KNOWN as "The Merry Little Hound" Anything other than that is a defect!! and should be judged accordingly.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I had a female once that was mean toward strange people but was not mean toward other dogs and she was my best dog but I didn't mnd her being mean toward strangers because I didn't have to worry about someone stealing her. When I say mean, I don't mean she would go after them but she wouldn't let anyone but me put their hands on her. She would retrieve rabbits and when she picked it up no one was getting it from her. She would keep looking until she found me. She died at 6 years old and never did come around to letting others touch her even though I hunted with regular hunting partners.

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

The decision is yours but I will not tolerate any dog regardless of breed that acts as though it may become aggressive toward people period. The first time one of my dogs act aggressive toward anyone it will be the last time they get the chance. Had a coonhound once that tried to bite me and it never got a chance to bite anyone else.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

If its for your pleasure and not for trialing then I think its ok to have a dog like what some of you are describing but if its a show/trial dog then it needs tobe non agressive towards people and other animals besides a rabbit.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

wvden

Post by wvden »

my female used to be that way with other dogs but got along with the dogs i kenneled her with. i got a new pup and was scared what she would do when i left her alone with my new pup. my neighbor had an empty kennel and let me keep her there for about a week...(.ALONE). WHEN I GOT HER BACK SHE WAS SO HAPPY TO HAVE COMPANY, SHE WARMED RIGHT UP TO THE PUP AND I HAVEN'T HAD ONE PROBLEM OUT OF HER WITH OTHER DOGS SINCE. don't know if this will fix your dog but it cured mine. hope it helps

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

warmule wrote:ive got a mean female she hates strange dogs and hunters takes her to or three trips with them before she gets used to them ive tried shocking her but dont seem to work shes makeing a great dog only 14 months old or id get rid of her
I don't think she mean she afraid of new thing.
TheJohnBirchSociety

Born2Run

Post by Born2Run »

I agree with littlewoody! Most dogs will lash out because of fear rather than aggression! I have a 3 yr old female that was roughed up by a family member’s boxer when she was a pup! To this day whenever she is around a larger dog her demeanor is entirely different than when she is around dogs her own size! I also owned a beagle mix a few years back that absolutely feared men. I was the only male he would let handle him, he was a stray approx. 5 months old when I received him and I have no idea what he went through before I got him. I took him too two separate trainers and they both said the reason he would get aggressive was due to fear! He was around 5 when I had him put down! It’s hard putting down a perfectly healthy hound!

TC

Post by TC »

Fear aggression and Mean are Two different things!! Neither is acceptable to me..I have a female that Will not let others close to her but if held then they can pet her up all they want they just cannot catch her to handle her..She is happy go Lucky when out hunting and will approuch people just wont let them catch her and She DOES not like other dogs Sniffin her rear end and will snap when they do never seen her bite hard but i tell folks to watch her she has teeth at Both ends!! This is All different than a MEAN dog!! A Dog that WILL BITE People or other Dogs or will attack is MEAN and should be delt with appropriately.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

warmule

Post by warmule »

i am going give her a little longer she makeing a good jump dog its not fear i believe shes jealous of other dogs around me afraid ill pet them
John 3:16

MPankratz

Post by MPankratz »

I don't believe dogs are capable of jealousy. I would be shocked if that were the case.

Like others have said, if you're keeping her for yourself and don't mind hunting alone, go ahead, keep her. It's not gonna hurt anything. Otherwise if you can't train her out of it, it's probably time to say goodbye.

If there isn't some verifiable cause for the aggression- jealousy is not verifiable- you definitely shouldn't breed her. It's not like she was beat. (I assume)