FLEAS!!!!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bluecollar beagler

FLEAS!!!!

Post by bluecollar beagler »

ok, im about to pull my hair out.. ive been fighting fleas for the past month non stop... i have two kennels built in my barn that i keep my pups in. the barn is a walk through barn so its wide open through the middle with stalls on both sides.. as soon as i step foot in the barn the fleas are on my legs and feet. you look down and theres 20-30 on both legs... :mad2: ive spread 2 full bags of seven dust in the middle of the barn floor, the kennel floors have been scrubbed with bleach, dawn dishwashing liquid, and dusted with seven dust. the dogs have been dipped once a week and frontline applied just the first of this week. the front of the barn in the grass has been dusted and ive even went as far as to throw buckets of soapy water down.. i cant get rid of them!!!! took the dogs for a run last night and they still had fleas crawling on them. i didnt see any around there legs or back but i noticed them on the foreheads and face.. im about to throw gas down and light a match in my barn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is there anything else i can do to get rid of them? :bash:

Lee Cockman

Re: FLEAS!!!!

Post by Lee Cockman »

Do just what you said. Spray diesel fuel or kerosene with a garden sprayer. You do not have to light it on fire. They will be no more.
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

Kenny VanHoose

Post by Kenny VanHoose »

Spread Ortho granules, it seems to work for me. Gets rid of a number of other bugs too. Lowes has it pretty cheap right now.
Wildcat Kennel
Wildcat Cosmo
Wildcat Newman
Grand R. Ch. Wildwood Eli
Grand R. Ch. B. CH Wildcat Joker
Grand R. CH. Gr. Bench Ch. Wildcat Earl

bluecollar beagler

i had someone mention the ortho to me today at work..... ill use anything right now... one question? am i wasting my time using the ortho and seven dust in the barn area or is it only good for outside in the grassy areas? i have a solid layer of seven dust on the ground now and they seem to be unfazed by it.

ill be using the diesel fuel tonight for sure. so should the frontline of killed all the fleas, i was hoping not to see any on the dogs after hitting them with a fresh dose of frontline monday. should i treat them with something else as well?

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

Frontline will not keep them off if they are as bas as you say. Get the D - Fuel!
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

Brice McGlamery

Post by Brice McGlamery »

GO TO TRACTOR SUPPLY AND BY SOME PROLATE IT IS A SWINE DIP AND I USE IT TO DIP MY DOGS IN OR YOU CAN MIX IT IN A SPRAY AND USE ONE OZ. PER GALLON THAT IS THE WAY I MIX IT TO DIP HOUNDS IN BUT IF I AM SPRAYING THE GROUND I DOUBLE IT AND WHEN IT HITS A FLEA HE IS DEAD .

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

LEE IS RIGHT D FUEL WILL WORK USED IT 4 YRS
BIGDOGPACE

bluecollar beagler

i pulled the dogs out of the kennels this evening and chained the up and went at the barn and kennel stalls with 10 gallon of diesel fuel. :nod: . gonna run by lowes tomorrow evening and get the ortho to double up on them... hopefully when i go up tomorrow evening to feed i have less fleas jumping on my pants....

chris83

Post by chris83 »

Im sure the diesel will work if you dont mind the smell, the ortho stuff is a waste of time if they are as bad as you say. I had the same problem tried the ortho knocked them back for maybe a day. I called my dad, between him and my grandfather they have about 50yrs in the pest control bussiness. We mixed up some precor, and termidor. A little stronger than recomended, the termidor killed them and the precor(insect growth regulater) will never let the larva develope into fleas. Just what we did here in missouri and it worked. You can order both online for most states.
lprc Harlow's To Small Jax's
lprc Harlow's Attila The Honey

875x

Post by 875x »

I stoped using frontline a freind said she had trouble with it not working I would try advange or fiproguard plus I am sure their are others. Also fleas dont stay on the host all the time they jump on and off. Fiproguard says it will control for three months on fleas but if there is a high risk to use it monthly also use it monthly to control ticks which is what I do. I havent had a flea propblem in a couple of years. I did have a few ticks get on them the last time I ran them but it was at the end of the month so I applied have seen any since.

jdwiley

Post by jdwiley »

Worst I have ever seen as well! I think if I apply one more thing to my hounds and kennels, it's gonna start glowing back there and the E.P.A will shut me down! I been putting off the diesel but it's gonna happen tomorrow!
I learned that Sevin doesn't work as well because it's cut down to 5% in dust form and even less in granules! I did find 10% at wal-mart after searching though, something to keep in mind! It's called eliminator.
I got in a "discussion" about frontline at the vet's office with his tech today! He said that it won't repel fleas but their eggs will be sterile! Lol! What's the point? Theyre always gonna pick em up, so I'm going back to python cattle tags, don't remember having fleas with them! Oh yeah, and a side of diesel in the kennel area!

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

JMO, but if you use CREOLIN it kills fleas and the eggs too. I have no problems with fleas, or flying insects at my kennels and i believe its due to the spraying around of the kennels of this product and the dips in creolin water mixture. Keep out of nose and eyes, YOURS AND THE HOUNDS.
Last edited by likeemfast on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

pineridgebeagles

Post by pineridgebeagles »

look at cedarcide.com,it will work and is totaly green. Al

bluecollar beagler

i read the thread on the creolin but noone ever mentioned that it took care of fleas...

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

My fault i guess, no one asked. The problem that was stated was flies and it sure as heck works for me on that, it does also work on fleas too. Creolin has been used for a long long long time up here in our Coal Region area, for lots of other things too. I dont use any product at all on my hounds in June July AND August (cuz i simply dont run em then) other than Creolin 3 to 4 times a month. The 3 to 4 times a month is spraying around the kennels, i usually give them a Creolin bath 2x a year. Its all preference, some will probably say its no good, im surprised some of the Old Timers havnt chimed in on the Creolin post cause it was used a lot more by them from what ive been told than the amount of guys who still use it. IMO, its a fantastic product to use around your kennels and on the hounds, i keep 5 gallons of it at all times just in case i run into problems getting it. Bluecollar, i think if you try it and use it the rest of the summer you too will like it. To me, there is no better product with so many uses around a kennel.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)