Where are we Headed???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Bev
Site Admin

Re: Where are we Headed???

Post by Bev »

Amazing. I cut all the bull out of this thread and it went from 5 pages to three. Please read and heed what it says at the top right of the page under The Beagler. Thank you.

Greg Wells

Post by Greg Wells »

Like I said before, the quality of females a breeder uses for breeding is the key to improving thier line of hounds. I've been raising pups on a small scale since the mid-90's. There has been a lot of trial & error, but I do now believe that starting with the most talented hounds you can find that also have a pedigree of proven individuals in thier background will increase your odds of success tremendously. Judging trials gave me the chance to see several different bloodlines of dogs in action & helped me decide which ones consistently had qualities I was looking for in a beagle. The biggest mistake a lot of people make is using a dog for breeding just because it's bloodline is similar to a great hound they have seen without watching it in the field. Most stud hounds make thier reputation in the field as excellent hounds or they wouldn't be popular in the first place. Very few of these hounds become famous as reproducers, so even if they are great in the field & have a proven bloodline, the chances of getting good pups by using them depends on how good the female you breed to him is. As far as my breeding after all these years, the best female for breeding I raised was Silver Star; her dam Silver Spring was nearly flawless in the field & crossed with Prime Time who was also a great hound added a little better conformation. Star has all the great hounds I wanted to use in my breeding & proved herself in the field to me as a young hound , then basically put up for breeding. I expect some of her offspring to make very good hounds & producers as well.
Last edited by Greg Wells on Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wells Woods Beagles

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time

Breeder of:
FC Wells' Silver Spring
IFC Stoneyhills Gator
FC GD Wells Woods Valentine
FC GMC's Primetime Peeka-Boo

DMP

Post by DMP »

Thank You Bev.

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

T LEE wrote:Question 1--- How many have bred a really nice female to really nice male and got pups that was better than the parents (in their prime)???

Question 2----Name some offspring that turned out better than the big named stud and dominate mother they were out of???
RNR Joe Blue was the sire of RNR Buckshot Jones. RNR Joe Blue was owned by Chester Haston of McMinnville TN. Joe was ran in trials as a derby but Chester would always sell his derby prospects in those days and never champion them out. He kept Joe and used him to rabbit hunt with and he also bred countless beagles for rabbit hunters. Chester was offered big money on several ocassions for him, but he wouldn't part with Joe. I have owned a lot of pups and grand pups off of RNR Joe Blue and they all had great hunt. RNR Buckshot Jones, Joe's pup speakes for himself.

Roseland

Post by Roseland »

I agree that using a SOLID female will increase your odds of getting good pups,and I also think it's a good idea to watch the stud dog run,but not all good dogs are good producers.I think alot of people get caught up in the hype instead of the facts...Are dogs today better or worse than dogs of yesterday? I have no idea,it's all a matter of opinion...
Roseland Beagles

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

Dogs are better today because we have a diversity in dog speeds and styles to choose from comparred to when they first came from England and wherever.