Wood chewing

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

island hare chas'r

Wood chewing

Post by island hare chas'r »

It is the quiet time in Michigan to run dogs in the wild. My young dog that is dying to get out and run, instead has turned into a beaver in the kennel. Is there anything I can paint on the wood to prevent the destruction. Any ideas to keep him content like the older dogs, they just take a nap in the sun! I am sure it isn't a nutritional deficiancy, just a way to burn off some frustrations of being cooped up.

dogwhisperer

Re: Wood chewing

Post by dogwhisperer »

They make some stuff called cribbox for horses. Keeps horses from chewing on blankets and their stahls works well.
HOF COMP HOF REP GRRCH GRBCH TURBO POWERED BY TURBO
GRRCH BCH POOR BOY POWERED HANK
GRRCH BCH SUGARRUN TRIPLE X
RCH SUGARRUN EARTH RATLIN RUBY
RCH SUGARRUN ROCK-N-ROOSTER
RCH BURR OAK SUZIE

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Around the dog house door opening... I cover it with aluminum.
Sometimes they chew that too!

LPB

packmaster

Post by packmaster »

yea the quite period is starting to wear on my dogs also. maybe try that no chew spray.

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

I would say give them something else to chew like the big beef bones that you can probably get from the butchers shop.

wvhunter

Post by wvhunter »

Island Hare, Be careful with that, find something fast. I lost a dog last Fall bc he got wood that he had been chewing on stuck in him. It apparently got lodged in him and wouldn't let him pass his waste. It can happen quick.
LP RCH BCH Wolfe's Da Bomb Sam (2 wins)
Barton Hollow Bolt Action
Bokes Creek Ellie
3M's Diesel
3M's Zoom Zoom Rage
3M's Da Bomb Muzzy

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

mdbeagler wrote:I would say give them something else to chew like the big beef bones that you can probably get from the butchers shop.
I use red pepper mixed with water and rub it down, i have also herd to use red pepper and vegetable oil.

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

MaineDogs wrote:
mdbeagler wrote:I would say give them something else to chew like the big beef bones that you can probably get from the butchers shop.
I use red pepper mixed with water and rub it down, i have also herd to use red pepper and vegetable oil.

I use a very hot hot sauce as well. I even put it on electrical cords. Has worked well for me.

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Hot sauce works great