TICKS!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

HatterasBob

TICKS!

Post by HatterasBob »

Well it has been all over the news that this mild winter is going to lead to a bumper crop of ticks and an increase of Lyme disease this year. Well I attended a trial this weekend and the news didn't lie. Every few minutes I would stop and pick off 20 ticks off my pant legs. When I got home I have over a 100 ticks imbedded in me. Unfortunately for me, I get an alergic reaction to tick bites that lasts for 6 weeks.

So my question is do any of you use Taurus SC (9% Fipronil) instead of FrontLine (also 9% Fipronil) and mix it yourself. $56 for 20 ozs would last a long time for a guy with a few dogs. Just thinking about saving money and going generic. I've heard that this works.

Bellmorekennels

Re: TICKS!

Post by Bellmorekennels »

Not sure about the chemical you speak of, but I think there is a thin suit you can wear under your clothes to keep the bugs off you, especially if are allergic, may pay to look into it. I think cabelas has it, I think called bug skinz.

www.bellmorekennels.com

oef10

Post by oef10 »

I have been averaging 10 turkey hunting this year. I use the wall mart stuff that is the same as frontline, 25 bucks for 3 months. I only have one dog though, not sure what else is out there.
Nathan Hanna
(616) 826-1019
HANNA'S IRON RAKKASAN
HANNA'S BLUE 3 BRAVO

lebro

Post by lebro »

i use termidore sc wich is 9% fipronil and like it. the ticks you find on your dog will most liklely be dead. in w. ky the ticks dont seem to be bad at all. i found more ticks in feb. than april. last year was awful and i figured this year would be worse . maybe the dry spring has been hard on them.
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

fasttrackpa

Post by fasttrackpa »

I use this with great results, last a long time. I have specific clothes only for running dogs and I bag them when I am done running dogs. maybe a little bit of a pain but it has been 2 years since I have had a tick embedded.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Tick-Repellent- ... tinfo/DTS/
Andy Purnell-Dead River Beagles
FC Purnell's Greens Valley Dixie
FC Purnell's Dead River Rebel RIP
FCGD Dead River Hare Razin Ruby
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Ranger
FCGD Purnell's Dead River Bloo Bell

RunninHard

Post by RunninHard »

fasttrackpa wrote:I use this with great results, last a long time. I have specific clothes only for running dogs and I bag them when I am done running dogs. maybe a little bit of a pain but it has been 2 years since I have had a tick embedded.

http://www.lcsupply.com/Tick-Repellent- ... tinfo/DTS/
I do this also, I soak the cloths with deet and only wear them when running, then bag them after, works great

mundellm

Post by mundellm »

DMP

Post by DMP »

Hey Hatteras Bob,
You wouldn't happen to have went to Southern Prince George trial?

MaineDogs

Post by MaineDogs »

Repel makes a product called Permanone, it is the best stuff out there. You have to spray your clothes with it a couple hours before you put them on, or just do it the night before. You can't spray it on your skin. Once dry it will last for a week, and it not only keeps ticks and mosquito's away it actually kills the tick if it crawls on treated clothing.

For the dogs all i do is put termidor on them every 30 days and Sevens dust in there bedding.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

DMP wrote:Hey Hatteras Bob,
You wouldn't happen to have went to Southern Prince George trial?
I didn't want to "out" them, oh well. It's been a week and I still wake out scratching after the Benadryl wears off.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

MaineDogs wrote:Repel makes a product called Permanone, it is the best stuff out there. You have to spray your clothes with it a couple hours before you put them on, or just do it the night before. You can't spray it on your skin. Once dry it will last for a week, and it not only keeps ticks and mosquito's away it actually kills the tick if it crawls on treated clothing.

For the dogs all i do is put termidor on them every 30 days and Sevens dust in there bedding.
THAT'S IT. I had a guy tell me about this stuff last year and couldn't remember the name.

Thanks,
Bob