Best Product to remove and keep ticks off ???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

zjamesmoore

Best Product to remove and keep ticks off ???

Post by zjamesmoore »

Hunted all day Saturday and the dogs are just absolutely loaded with ticks. We have had a very mild winter to say the least and I think were in for a rough summer insect population wise.What will keep ticks off the hounds ?

BCBeagles

Re: Best Product to remove and keep ticks off ???

Post by BCBeagles »

I have had real good success with Ivermectin montly at .1 cc per 10 lbs of weight. I mark down the day at the beginning of the month and then repeat. It just about makes a flea a thing of the past and ticks die if they bite the hound. I give it orally in a small syringe, mixing with water will cut down on the bitter taste for them.

I also try to bath mine at least once every 4-6 wks with a good Flea and Tick Shampoo, seems to help and they look good because of it. Hope this helps.

Mandi Schafer

Post by Mandi Schafer »

just a therey but ive heard people say that if you dip them in avon skin so soft it will keeps ticks fleas and chiggers off them, im going to try this myself and see if it works.

Budd

Post by Budd »

I must have pick 15-20 deer ticks off each dog yesterday and today after running, some were already embedded!!
Been picking them off myself as well, I already had lymes once and don't want to do that again.
Has anyone tried this product? For the price I thought it would be the way to go since I have 13 dogs.

http://www.revivalanimal.com/Zodiac-...Treatment.html

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

I go to TSC and buy some Python Insectacide cow tags. Cut the tag in half and zip tie the 2 halves to the collar with small ties. I remove the collar when I run my dogs because of tracking and shock collars also they will get torn up from the briars.My dad has been using them for years and has had no problems(as in harm to the dogs).Just replaced last years this week.I use latex gloves when handling the tags and only use them on my outside dogs. THEY ARE SOAKED IN INSECTACIDE SO I DO NOT PUT THEM ON THE INSIDE DOGS OR ONES THE KIDS MIGHT PET AND PLAY WITH .JUST LIKE ANY OTHER INSECTACIDE PRODUCTS KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN . This is just something i have had good results with.

Rabbit Fever

Post by Rabbit Fever »

. What I do is spray them down with mycodex spray, then while their wet i dust them with tick dust. Seems to be working so far. But I need to find something for me. Had a deer tick embedded in my chest 2 days ago. only in there for about 5 hrs tho. so I think im ok. But I think their going to get really bad this year. I work in the woods and don't need Lymes again, had it twice the second time kicked my butt.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I forgot to say I use seven dust in my boxes and bedding as well. Hope you find what works for you!

jon cornett

Post by jon cornett »

The python tags are the best thing for ticks, fleas on dogs. Ive used them for 3 years and they work great. There is no other product you could use that is better and as cheap per dog. Ive told some guys around here about them and now there all using them.

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

i forgot the name but some kind of cedar oil spray he talked very highly of the stuff.If i can find it i will post it up.We will all need something this year :hammer:
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

CEDAR CIDE

bluetick~dan

Post by bluetick~dan »

where can buy cedar cide? heard a lot of good reports

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

goodpickens

Post by goodpickens »

Cedarcide isn't working on these Missouri tics. My wives little foo-foo dog disappeared for a week. She came back Sunday with I bet 100 ticks on her. I coated in her cedarcide and washed her in Dawn. Took her to the groomers the next day and the ticks were still alive. They washed her in Adams Flea and Tick and it didn't even phase them. They ended up dipping them which killed the little suckers but they were so far embedded that we're still pulling them off of her.

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

I have been using the purple python cattle tags for the last 3--4 years with good results. I just bend mine over and use the tool that you put them in the cattle's ear with and clamp them together and slid them over the collar. They say they are good for 6 omnths but I change mine about every 3 months.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Frontline.