HI Standard Dog Food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Aaron Bartlett
Site Admin

HI Standard Dog Food

Post by Aaron Bartlett »

I know everyone has their favorites. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the HI Standard feed. What kind are you feeding and what are you paying for it? How do you think it compares to Sportsmix, Diamond, Black Gold or Iams? Have you tried the Hi Standard Puppy? HI Standard feed seems to be very popular in some areas and other areas no ones keeps it.
We currently feed Sportsmix and Iams and I can save some money on the HI Standard and get it delivered to my house as long as I buy a pallet at a time.
Crane Creek Kennels

Ohiohntr

Re: HI Standard Dog Food

Post by Ohiohntr »

I have fed it for a long time....I have switched to other brands off and on and find myself always returning to Hi-Standard. I use to pay right at $20/bag (50#) and that was buying a pallet at a time. The price went up and dicount didn't make it worth me messing with laying out the cash for 20 bags so I just buy one or two bags at a time. I think with tax and everything the last bags I bought were around $25. I use the blue bag for our boxer and lab and keep the beagles on purple. The foo-foo house dog gets Taste of the Wild, but he doesn't eat much.

I know Shawn tried the HS Puppy but ended up going back to puppy chow. I went to Eukanuba puppy for the last pups and was completely satisfied with it. The place where I buy my Hi-Standard doesn't even carry the red bag (puppy) and for them to get it for me it was going to be about the same price as Eukanuba.
Last edited by Ohiohntr on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FC Green Bay Nemasket Singer
FWR Blue Boy's Lightfoot

team fudd

Post by team fudd »

we have been feeding 12 hounds give or take high standard for about two years now and I wont switch t anything else. We are paying 24.00 a bag for the purple bag.

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

I used to feed it and the 26/18-ish mix was the bag that I liked the best but I haven't fed it in a couple of years. We got a couple of batches that just didn't seem quite right, the color looked different almost like it had sat for quite a while. Other than that I never had any issues with it other than I had to drive quite a ways to get it. I also knew a few guys that fed it and never had any issues with any of their bags either. The price was $15-$16 for a 50lb bag but like I said that was a couple of years ago. The last I heard guys were getting it for $17-$18 a bag but I don't know where they were getting it from. I switched to Pride because I liked it just as well and it was a whole lot closer for me to get and was right around the same price. As far as for how it compared I never had any issues with it. The dogs looked good and hunted well but I only run 2-4 days a week for 3-6 hours at a time at the most so I don't know how it would hold up to a lot of running. I did notice a little more stool with it but not enough to get upset about. I have fed sportsmix, diamond, pride, traditions(which I didn't care for), purina, ole roy and high standard and imo it fared well compared to the sportsmix, diamond and pride just fine.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

bigdog

Post by bigdog »

i feed the 26/18 dogs do real well on it. price is around $25 drls 50 lb bag.

NeilKimbrel7

Post by NeilKimbrel7 »

Love it. Purple bag 26-18. I bought the puppy feed (red bag) and it may be better for them, I'm not sure, but if fed at the same time my pups would eat every bit of the adult food before they would touch the puppy food.
HOF LPGRCH GRPCH FCGD Kimbrel's Kickem Up Kane
Kimbrel's Flyby Foxy lady
Kimbrel’s Rock
Peeple’s Naughty Girl

BAOTB

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

:shock: ........the price sure is different than when I was buying it!!! Of course they all are anymore aren't they.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

jumpNrun

Post by jumpNrun »

i feed the orange bag and dogs do well on it. 24/20 gives hard stool and coats and body weight seem good as well.
LpGrch Lpbch Smith's Blue Goose 1st 2012 Il state hunt-1st 2013 Indiana state hunt-2nd 2013 Grand Nationals- Best of show In State
Lprch Hbch Smith's Blue Moon
Lprch Smith's Rolling Sweet Lucy (RIP)