Rabbit question ?? Are they breeding yet in Indiana

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jon cornett

Rabbit question ?? Are they breeding yet in Indiana

Post by jon cornett »

My son came home from college today and loaded up a couple hounds and went to hunt for a little bit. He only drove about 5 miles and it was 2:45 pm. He arrived to his spot which was some family property and on the other side was some private ground all growed up. He counted 5 rabbits setting in the old road within 150 yards. My question is this, are they breeding now with all the warm weather we have had ? Its still winter even though mother nature is saying other wise !!! And rabbit season is still open here in Indiana ? All the rabbits ran over to the private property where its real thick.
Last edited by jon cornett on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabbitearl

Re: Rabbit question ??

Post by rabbitearl »

I don t know but had a man told me last week.He seen some rabbits that were half grown.Here in NC we have not had a winter.

ARUSH70HALF

Re: Rabbit question ??

Post by ARUSH70HALF »

They have been breeding for some time here in Ms,Every year by the end of Feb. we will be killing does with little ones in them,has already happen a few times in the last couple hunts.Also a lot of our races start with the dogs splitting up as soon as they jump,(two or more rabbits)

jon cornett

Re: Rabbit question ?? Are they breeding yet in Indiana

Post by jon cornett »

I can understand they breeding in the southern states but up here in Indiana ? I have never seen rabbits set out in the roads during the daylight hours in Febuary, something is up for sure !!!

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I believe they are breeding jon. The last two times I have been out, we've been jumping rabbits in pairs. I don't jump many rabbits in pairs often, except during this time of the year.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

Last 2 times out (past 2 weekends) have had at least one split race. Here in middle Tennessee it has not gotten cold at all yet. Weather has been crazy
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467