Breeding hounds for Big hunt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

southerncomfort

Breeding hounds for Big hunt

Post by southerncomfort »

My son and I have been talking about breeding dogs for hunt. Is there certain things you look for in trying to pick the hounds to match up for breeding? Obviously take two hounds that hunt hard, but what else should i look for? I have talked to some people that will cross beagles with fox hounds or coon hounds. I would thing you would get a much bigger hound that way. I have also heard people talk about line breeding. I would just like to hear what you think. Thanks
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13

johns03272008

Re: Breeding hounds for Big hunt

Post by johns03272008 »

I guess if you don't care what size they are or if you can register it with AKC then you could breed it to a Fox hound or coon hound I don't know which would have more hunt! I know that there are a few very strong hunting beagles studs out here that throw a lot of hunt in their pups!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

lebro

Post by lebro »

line breeding dogs known for hunt gives consistent results.dont just look at sire and dam look several gen. back to see if they are really line bred or just heavy crosses. where are you located? are looking at buying some to breed later or something to breed your bitch to?
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

don nash

Post by don nash »

line breeding to dogs with hard hunt is your best bet
Don Nash
Stillwater Valley Kennel (est.1987)
http://www.freewebs.com/stillwaterkennel
Indian Hill's
R.I.P. Swift Run's Domino
"A man's ego is a very heavy burden for any pup to carry"

southerncomfort

Post by southerncomfort »

lebro wrote:line breeding dogs known for hunt gives consistent results.dont just look at sire and dam look several gen. back to see if they are really line bred or just heavy crosses. where are you located? are looking at buying some to breed later or something to breed your bitch to?

I live in Russell Co. KY, I'm not sure what I should do I'm just gathering information at this point.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13

pcable

Post by pcable »

If you want alot of hunt, then look hard at the Northway-Reffetts line of hounds. They produce great hunt and cross well with most any bloodline.
Also look at Haunted Hill Shaker and Brankos Ali Baba bred dogs. They tend to have great hunt as well. Just my opinion based on my experience.
Hope this helps.
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

I will second the Northway and Reffet's dogs. I have seen good hunt out of most and it just seems to be there from the beginning. Not the type of dogs you have to "give more time to see if their hunt picks up." They seem to have that desire to check out brush piles naturally.

jason38

Post by jason38 »

Northway is the only way to go :D

stonewall79

Post by stonewall79 »

I have to agree with pcable, Haunted Hill Shaker and Brankos Ali Baba have tons of hunt in them.

2500 HD

Post by 2500 HD »

Bramlett!!!

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

southerncomfort wrote:
lebro wrote:line breeding dogs known for hunt gives consistent results.dont just look at sire and dam look several gen. back to see if they are really line bred or just heavy crosses. where are you located? are looking at buying some to breed later or something to breed your bitch to?

I live in Russell Co. KY, I'm not sure what I should do I'm just gathering information at this point.
Call Jeff Brown in Russel Springs he will set ya up, 270 406 2034.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.