rabbit population

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hcaplinger

rabbit population

Post by hcaplinger »

has anyone else noticed that the population is down from last year.i think all the rain weve had here in central ohio has destroyed alot of good running that we used to have.a couple of the places that we normally do well in you can tell that it has been flooded at some point this year with water rings on trees and and mud all over everything.sure has been one wet freakin year and im tired of it.come on its january and were still having 50 degree days 2-3 days a week,whats going on with it.
Caplingers Brush Bustin Kennels home of:
caplingers machine gun minnie
caplingers fat daddy
caplingers blue bailey
caplingers big city cash

hillbillyridgerunner

Re: rabbit population

Post by hillbillyridgerunner »

that sucks that its like that in your area. but here in eastern ky we've been having great running. our population is up from last year. or maybe my dogs just got better haha

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

In eastern NC it is spotty. There are some places near us where we found plenty of rabbits last year where there are none since the hurricane. Last night in another spots rabbits everywhere. Coyotes surrounded us and actually broke up one race. Sat. at the NC ST LP there were rabbits every cast. I think it is the hurricane, predators, and house cats. Bobby

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

It is like that where I am at too (south mi). Last January the swamp on the farm I run at held a good amount of rabbits and we had good 2-3 hour runs this year in the same area the swamp is flooded and it won't freeze due to abnormal temperatures for this time of the year and there isn't near the number of rabbits there should be. Also at one of my favorite places although only thirty acres it isthick and last year had a good amount of rabbits now there are none there no tracks, no droppings I've sent my best dog in there without success... I finally found some good spots so hopefully I can start working with my young females.

Cooz's Beagles
Cooz's Just Snoopin Around

Lone Pine Cooz's Nicci
Lone Pine Cooz's Swampin Sammi

hcaplinger

Post by hcaplinger »

we still have a few areas to run that are great spots,but we definitely dont wanna go in and kill them all off.im not saying that it is this way in every spot but it has ruined a few of our honey holes so to speak.i would sure like to find some more private farms in ohio to hunt.the pubilc land is over run with hunters around us and the population in these spots are not great either.i actually witnessed four mexicans walking in a circle towards each other and jump shooting rabbits.apparently one of them needed to take a hunters safety course,or they all had a death wish.
caplingers fat daddy
caplingers blue bailey
caplingers big city cash

hillbillyridgerunner

Post by hillbillyridgerunner »

hcaplinger wrote:i actually witnessed four mexicans walking in a circle towards each other and jump shooting rabbits.apparently one of them needed to take a hunters safety course,or they all had a death wish.

:shock: wow

deadeyebeagle

Post by deadeyebeagle »

you must of went to deer creek lol
DEADEYES POACHER

hcaplinger

Post by hcaplinger »

you seen them too.
caplingers fat daddy
caplingers blue bailey
caplingers big city cash

deadeyebeagle

Post by deadeyebeagle »

yep a couple of years ago i seen them shooting at crows.and walking up to bushes and just shooting into them.
DEADEYES POACHER

EMeade III

Post by EMeade III »

A buddy and I witnessed them shooting everything that moved last January including hen pheasants rabbits and even taking prayer shots at geese. We called the game warden and they said they would be on there way, but after a half hour they never showed and the group of Mexicans got away free. It's got bad enough at deer creek I don't believe the gw even bother to ticket them because of no way to track them down to make them pay or show in court.

lebro

Post by lebro »

in w ky best year in about 4 years and im hunting mostly youing dogs. most of my hunting has been on public ground and starting to hit private farms now. :nod:
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

deadeyebeagle

Post by deadeyebeagle »

we had some good running today running some heat boy im starting to get pumped up again..
DEADEYES POACHER

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

I hunted about 60 acres of briars and brush piles on saturday and never even saw a rabbit track. Hows that for bad running? They need to open a season on red tail hawks. 90% of the problem is predators I think. plenty of cover, food, and great conditions here and still no rabbits. Its sad really, but the only rabbits I could find for my dogs was in a farm yard, and they all ran quickly under buildings and junk piles. Good running for an hour or so till they chased every rabbit on the place.
Last edited by yoteslayer on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hcaplinger

Post by hcaplinger »

i wondered if they even had a license.they must have been trying to feed an army shooting into bushs just to be shooting.
caplingers fat daddy
caplingers blue bailey
caplingers big city cash