Hound question ? Help fellas

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ulerybeagler

Hound question ? Help fellas

Post by ulerybeagler »

I have a 1.5 year old male with extreme hunt I mean he is bloody from head to toe and jumps most of the rabbits got great foot and awesome on the line but the problem I'm having is he ll wine or whimper just before he jumps the rabbit how can I correct this problem ? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated

hillbillyridgerunner

Re: Hound question ? Help fellas

Post by hillbillyridgerunner »

i wouldnt worry about it. at just a 1.5 old id say he will grow out of it. sounds like you have a real pup there though :)

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Don't consider it a problem.He's young and anxious with a lot of drive.He'll either "grow" out of it as he gets older.Or he won't.Some hounds will cold trail before they've got the rabbit up,some will work like crazy not saying a word,others "pop",some "explode" at the jump and others whine when they know they're close and about to jump him.Myself,I wouldn't try and correct him.A lot of what these hounds do has been programmed in to them through selective breeding.Sometimes they either suit you or something they do doesn't and that's just the way the dog is.Sometimes I think we mess with them too much.If he's making you the kind of rabbit dog you want to keep then keep feeding him rabbit tracks and see what he looks like in the next year as he matures.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

You are trying to get us to brag on your hound. Right? Where is the problem you ask for help on?

ulerybeagler

Post by ulerybeagler »

The whining and whimpering I'm wanting to trial him and no that the minute he opens his mouth they start the clock do this my deleima I didn't know of should bump him or what to do

bucks better beagles

Post by bucks better beagles »

Love him. Get another dog for trialing.

jim matuszewski

Post by jim matuszewski »

shady grove could'nt have put it any better. the way i see it maybe this young hound has got a little more nose than your used to. if he don't workout for ya!!! :D :D just saying

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

If you said the hound was running fox :lol: it would be a problem!
TheJohnBirchSociety

pineridgebeagles

Post by pineridgebeagles »

Is he for sale!!! Al

ulerybeagler

Post by ulerybeagler »

No guys he s not going to be for sale lol he is just young and a little time and experience will help him I think I was just wondering like I said if a person should discipline him for it or just let it be

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Do not bump the hound. I call it he- heing he just gets excited because he knows the rabbit is near. My female jump dog does this and has since she was a pup I know when I hear her do this the race is about to start without fail.

rnbrunton

Post by rnbrunton »

What format are you wanting to trial in? All i've seen start the clock on a bark.not a whimper or whine.rnb
Red AKC Gundogs Just one more chase.RNB Eastview Tomahawk Chief 1996-2006

scott calkins

Post by scott calkins »

i have a male that i sold for that same reason and now bought him back and glad i did hes 2and a half and dont do it at all . and is a great jump dog. i talked to the guy i bred my male to his female he has a female and she done the same and grew out of it and now is his best dog. i to was worried about trialing him and my friends said if they were judgeing and he done that they would put him on clock . but i dont put a dog on the clock unless it opens and i always ask if some one has a dog with a soft mouth so i can listen for it if you dont tell me it has a sqweek are etc iam gonna wait for a bark not wimper unless you tell me thats your dogs mouth. hopefully yours grows out off it like mine . but i wouldnt worry about it.
I will not follow where the path may lead; but I will go where there is no path, and leave a trail. LORD HELP ME BE THE PERSON MY DOG THINKS I,AM!!!

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

Just a confidence issue maybe??? I would think as he gets more tracks under him he'll learn to open a little quicker or slower. Either way I would hang on to him. :nod:
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

I woldn't let it bother me. I had a male that would do this. He would jump the rabbit but would kinda whine until he was sure he had it lined out and then the race was on. I like for a dog to be sure before it opens. Are you sure the wimpering is coming before he jumps the rabbit or is he just makin sure he has a good line on it before he opens fully? This may not be ideal for trialing but it could also be why we have so many loose mouth dogs from all these "field champions."