what makes a finished rabbit dog

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

little e kennels

what makes a finished rabbit dog

Post by little e kennels »

I have looked at lost of hounds for sale adds and they say it is a finished hound or not a finished hound. What makes a hound finished?

thanks
grady

madcatter

Re: what makes a finished rabbit dog

Post by madcatter »

when it dies---its finished

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

madcatter wrote:when it dies---its finished

:nod: That's a way of looking at it.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

peytonbeagles

Post by peytonbeagles »

Finished is a hound that has reached it's full potential, think many misuse the word finished for running dog. I have watched many "finished" hounds and hate to think that they had reached their full potential, if they had they would be finished or another word for finished is "culled" here,lol

M&M BEAGLES

Post by M&M BEAGLES »

I think what they mean is a finished dog needs no training and you can take it hunting right away. unfinished would be a started hound that needs more training thats how i see it :roll: :roll:

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

M&M BEAGLES wrote:I think what they mean is a finished dog needs no training and you can take it hunting right away. unfinished would be a started hound that needs more training thats how i see it :roll: :roll:
I like that answer M&M

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Ya- finished SHOULD mean the dog is broke, hunts and can control a line while packing up.....

but when selling a dog it could mean anything..

some think finished = titled
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

bigjack

Post by bigjack »

Thats a no brainer, [RABBIT TRACKS] bigjack. :)

Bunnyblaster

Post by Bunnyblaster »

A dog born with the tools needed and someone willing to put the time into them so they can properly develop those tools(i.e. a houndsman).

.......oh, we weren't looking for how to make a finished dog we are talking about the definition of one.

I look at started as it knows what a rabbit is and that it is supposed to chase the rabbit by sight/scent and at least knows it's supposed to run the track.

I look at a running dog as a dog that can run a rabbit alone and/or in a pack but is still developing it's skills as a rabbit dog.

I would like to think of a finished dog as one that can run a rabbit both alone or in a pack consistently, is broke from trash and/or collar trained, will handle in the field and has good kennel manners.

Now these guys are right and for each dog the term finished is going to mean something different because not all dogs have the same potential but like I said in theory I would like my "finished" dog to be what I described above. When buying a finished dog I would at least expect to run solo and in a pack, be broke from running trash and handle well in the field.
Bunnyblaster

"You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."