Running a puppy to much

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

John Williams

Running a puppy to much

Post by John Williams »

Hey guys can you run a 7month old puppy too much. Will you burn that puppy out.

Owl Creek

Re: Running a puppy to much

Post by Owl Creek »

if it was by itself i would say no.
if it was with finsished hounds that are fast .
i would say theres a good chance of it.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

hillbillyridgerunner

Post by hillbillyridgerunner »

depends on the dog. i've seen pups 7 months old thats had the crap ran out them handle a track so good it would amaze ya . but i also had a female once than was showing real promise at 6 months old, she'd run with the other dogs and track around real good and by one year she wasnt the least bit interested in hunting. there is no one way set in stone method of training dogs that works for all dogs

HAREHOUND

Post by HAREHOUND »

i agree with hillbilly. i think each pup is different. some can handle it and some can't. i guess it is kind of a feel thing, but as a rule i like to keep it short and sweet so the the pup does not get discouraged or burned out. especially when running with older dogs. i don't think it is as big a deal when running them solo because they are setting there own pace.

almilesq1

Post by almilesq1 »

i think u can run a pup too much. but it depends on the dog. i would not run my pups with older faster dogs too often until they are a year old. after that there confadince should be what it is going to be. thats just my opinion, im sure others have succesful training methods as well.