Age old question-what bloodline best hunt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

gfedor

Age old question-what bloodline best hunt

Post by gfedor »

My neighbor is getting back into hunting with beagles. He had to stop some 15yrs ago for family stuff. He wants to start with two pups from a proven bloodline that has tons of hunt. He lives in nj,willing to travel to pa,ny,nj,ma(4 hrs).

eddywilliams

Re: Age old question-what bloodline best hunt

Post by eddywilliams »

Contact Mike Kelly in New Jersey he has a female out of my Tuna dog which is the real deal he might let you watch her run she has extreme hunt as Tuna is throwing in his offspring .If he wants hunt while running to catch the rabbit call me or pm me .
RABBIT RIDGE KENNELS :
HOME OF:
IFC BEAVER CREEKS KICK AZ
FCGD THOMPSONS TRY MY PATIENCE
OUTBACK MATILDA
RABBIT RIDGE ONE TUFF AZ KICKER
RABBIT RIDGE PARIS
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

If you are looking for hunt then FC Honey Hollows Elvis in NY or that Speedy Sport stuff throws unstoppable hunt...DH

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Thanks guys

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Anything that has "Lizard Creek Tadpole"

LPB

xdawg2

Post by xdawg2 »

Northway...

I've got a male off of speedy sport that I cross up with my northway females. Killer hunt...

little e kennels

Post by little e kennels »

i am a big fan of patch and turbo. i have had good luck with both

Collins Country

Post by Collins Country »

I too like the Speedy Sport stuff. I crossed my Speedy Sport male with a sock it to me female and am going to cross him next with Jewnee bitch.
Robert Collins
Eubank, KY
606-383-2767

http://collinscountryky.tripod.com/

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

Just curious as to what kind of hunt we are referring to. I like a dog that crawls into brush piles looking for rabbits, checking all promising cover. Others like a dog that hunts like I would expect a coonhound to do it. Keep searching as far away as it takes to find a rabbit but at the same time passing up alot of promising cover. Just curious as to what most people on here call hunt. I like this post as I am always looking for a hard hunting hound. With that being said the best hunting hound I have owned to date is my Buzzsaw male.

james p

Post by james p »

i have a buzzsaw male that has killer hunt and jumps alot of rabbits goes through everything no hair on last 2 inches of tail one of the last litters off of buzzsaw and a pure northway bitch but he is still not a jump dog in my eyes you can have all the hunt in the world and still not have a true jump dog, a true jump dog just knows where to look for a rabbit and can wind one alot of the time. I like a hard hunting dog but i would trade 50 of them for that dog that just knows where the rabbit is i have had 2 in my 30 yrs of running dogs and they are worth a mint...................................james

lebro

Post by lebro »

dale i like them to get down on their belly and crawl through the thick stuff. i call it " grubby" i have seen a lot of dogs that hunt grass well fewer that hunt briars and even fewer that hunt brush piles. so i agree that style of hunt is as important as how hard they hunt. my favoruites are northway, dingus, indian hills. :bigsmile:
broad ridge blaze,critter, delta, everstrong

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I like them hunting with me, Nose on the ground and stay within 50-75 yards of me and look into the what ever cover is present. Thats not to say I don't like them venturing further out but I like them to hunt hard and when I call them I like them to come in. Hunt is bred into them but the way they hunt with you is learned. I take young pups out with me alone and teach them to go where I want to go but still hunt hard. I started a pup this fall that is double Rangerdan bred. Now most pups I start gradually increase in hunt from the puppy stage, untell mature. At a very young age they usually show some hunt but it gradually hunts harder as they get older. The double rangerdan pup's name is Nina and with her, right from the start she came out hunting. I'm attaching a video clip of her at 5 months old in the wild . Now keep in mind she is only a pup but she will climb into every briar patch we walk by.....DH

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Very nice young dog Deerhost!! looks very promossing. Is she from that elvis dog

Dale L.

Post by Dale L. »

I see someone listed Turbo. Just wondering if they typically have the close grubby kind of hunt or are they wider and more like coon hound or what I would envision you might want for hare. I ask this because the ones I have seen were this way but I have only owned or seen a few. The ones I have seen did have really good hunt just not close and often passed alot of good cover on their way to jumping a rabbit 500yards or so away.

little e kennels

Post by little e kennels »

dale my turbo hounds hunt semi close they will cover the area and then move on. mine will hunt out to about the 100-150 yards away and check back in. I try to keep them kinda close to make sure they dont get in to trouble since they are young and i dont use ecollars on pups