Big Old Critter (Rabbit Eater Part II)

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ANTHONY KERR

Big Old Critter (Rabbit Eater Part II)

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

Check this bad boy out. I will tell the story later. My wife needs help putting up decorations I expect I had better honor this request after hunting 3 out of the last 4 days.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

Owl Creek

Re: Big Old Critter (Rabbit Eater Part II)

Post by Owl Creek »

i expect he will be hanging up in your house.
nice job.
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

BradWV

Post by BradWV »

Nice cat. Did he make 30#?

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

It is the biggest one I have ever seen from this area. I am guessing he was in the 25 pound range. Pete Tuck who ultimately killed him swore to me he would weigh it this afternoon. Stretched out across the dog box he was about 40" long with huge feet.
My old faithful Birdie jumped a rabbit while all four of us hunters were standing together. As the other dogs settled into the race the hunters spread out. I crossed a little mound and saw what I thought was a Coyote slip out of some brush' but I did not have a shot. I tried to slip around some honeysuckle vines to get a better look. In the mean time the dogs were pounding the rabbit and I got to a clearing. We had a brief pack separation and all I could hear was young dogs leaving town. I heard something run up behind me and was thinking an older dog had quit the race. As I looked I saw the broom straw moving and this dude pops out and heads for some pines. I got off a shot as he hit an opening and he wheeled and started away. I honestly thought I had shot a big Gray Fox but at the same time I thought about it being a cat. I yelled out for everybody to watch for a fox and about 5 seconds later I heard a shot and Pete Tuck yelled out that it was a Bobcat. His old .410 bolt action had hit the mark and he was piled up in the broomstraw. We were all so amazed at the kill we missed out on a really good rabbit race. The dogs never ran the cat even though he stunk so bad a Poodle with a bad sinus infection could have smoked him check free.

underdog

Post by underdog »

WOW that's a big cat.

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

The bobcat weighed 20 pounds. I would have sworned he weighed more than that. Anyway we had some awesome races, killed a couple of rabbits and this big cat.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

It sure seemed like it would have weighed more than 20 pounds. I bet he could eat alot of rabbits though.
Back at work today still reflecting on the 3 days of hunting with a smile on my face. We did not kill many rabbits, but I had one heck of a good time !!

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

You boys did well i have never seen one in the wild,but have heard a story or two. You All gonna mount him?
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

birmi1nr

Post by birmi1nr »

Nice cat. I actually saw my 1st bobcat yesterday while up running hare in the NLP. Dogs crossed the road with a hare and made a circle through the section and pushed out the bobcat across the road 60yds in front of me. Unfortunetly I wasn't caring a gun.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

Lee Cockman

Post by Lee Cockman »

I only got to hunt one day. We did kill 9. Been having a good year with good game. But man that is a big looking cat. We have killed one of those but he was a little one. Great hunt Anthony and Pete!
C&F Cottontail Kennels

C&F's Cinnamon Run RedBug
C&F's Talkabout TBO

DMP

Post by DMP »

Nice one! He sure does look bigger than 20 lbs. Only got to hunt 1 day over the holiday and we killed 5. Took 3 young boys and they done alot of shooting. Hope you guys had a good Christmas. Danny

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Lee Cockman wrote:I only got to hunt one day. We did kill 9. Been having a good year with good game. But man that is a big looking cat. We have killed one of those but he was a little one. Great hunt Anthony and Pete!
You are right Lee it has been a good season even the wma is holding rabbits.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Pete Tuck

Post by Pete Tuck »

Not mounting this cat. I cannot afford it. Lol.
Cedar Row Beagles
LPRCH Mike's Ace in the Hole
LPRCH Cedar Row Harley